Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • How can I get a TV programme made about cycling?
  • BadlyWiredDog

Does anyone know how I can go about getting a Hollywood blockbuster made about cycle maintenance? I was thinking of getting someone like Brad Pitt to do the basic instruction maybe with Kiera Knightley also cast as a mechanic to make it more appealing to Brits. I reckon it has real scope to be a sort of Harry Potter-style, multi-part franchise.

I’ve done some basic research and I reckon there’d be loads of interest in it. I’m wondering if maybe someone like the CTC or British Cycling would be up for financing it? Or maybe a wealthy private investor who might otherwise buy a football club or a Carribean island.

It seems like a no-brainer to me. All I need is a few million quid and to borrow a few tools and a workshop. Has anyone done anything similar? I was thinking of asking Quentin Tarantino to direct it, but I guess he might be booked up, so if anyone knows any other leading film directors, that would be ace. Thanks.

ps: I’m not trying to stomp on your territory, Moley. This would be strictly big screen stuff, maybe even IMAX.

crikey
    Free Member

Sweet baby Jesus ….

I’m really trying not to engage full on critical mode, but molgrips….

You can’t decide what to have for your tea without reference to a diet, but now you’ll need a prime time slot on the BBC to tell people how to ride a bike?

molgrips
    Free Member

Er.. crikey? You miss the point of my diet posts. I muse on the best approach based on the results of the continuing experiment. That is not the same as dithering.

And obviously it’s not about teaching people to ride a bike. It’s about raising cycling issues. If you didn’t already think I was a pillock you’d read this thread more favourably.

I’m really trying not to engage full on critical mode

You’ve failed badly then.

crikey
    Free Member

I don’t think you are a pillock. Not at all.

I’m trying to point out that ‘ Let’s make a cycling programme on the BBC ‘ is an approach which suggests a certain degree of entitlement and no small amount of middle class dinner partyism.

It’s something-must-be-done, but only by other folk, and in a tasteful way…

Maybe it is me, I’m aware of a growing chip on my shoulder as the chattering classes discover cycling, but there you go.

Just to reinforce as previously, I don’t have any kind of negative view of you, but this subject does fit with your persona on here.

molgrips
    Free Member

Let’s make a cycling programme on the BBC ‘ is an approach which suggests a certain degree of entitlement

Entitlement? I’m not sure about that. It was just a thought that occurred to me whilst cycling through London the other day. Looked like a lot of people were doing things I didn’t think were a good idea, and there seemed to be a lack of common approach unlike with drivers.

It’s something-must-be-done, but only by other folk, and in a tasteful way…

Well no, I was asking people for opinions in general and I was hoping someone with a bit of industry knowledge would give me some tips about how *I* might get something done. I just thought it was a good idea and it could help a lot of people.

And I dunno about chattering classes discovering cycling, I’ve been cycling for transport since I was 14.

fozzyuk

Go vira…Staged / bloody realistic driver / cyclist altercation…………

facebook, youtube, millions of hits, then add more videos build the cyclist into a character…character asks same question…different result…

run over a meerkat

fozzyuk

errr viral 😳

yossarian
    Free Member

Right then, forget auntie beeb. Frankly, unless you are someone with a track record in media, the BBC aren’t going to give you even the steam off their shit. Forget them.

Secondly, you are the wrong person to make a cycling show. You like it too much. Have you watched cycling on telly? ITS BORING AS FVCK!!! Unless theres a ‘road rage’ corner and maybe a ‘high speed crash of the week’ Joe public is not going to watch a bunch of semi lycra clad middle classers having a fwappathon over a push bike.

That’s the problem you see. Essentially although we are right about cycling being ace, we’re totally wrong about it being ace to the rest of the non cycling world. And if people already know it’s ace, then they’ll already be doing it, not thinking about doing it.

molgrips
    Free Member

And if people already know it’s ace, then they’ll already be doing it, not thinking about doing it

Now see, I don’t agree here. Loads of people I’ve spoken to said stuff like ‘yeah I would ride my bike but…’ and reeled off a series of reasons why they couldn’t. Some were just making guilty excuses but some really did want to but thought it was too dangerous, or you needed certain kit or whatever. One woman actually told me she couldn’t ride to work because the dual carriageway was too busy – oblivious to the fact that there is of course an alternative on normal roads that is shorter, quieter, and much more pleasant. She’d never driven it and it never occurred to her to even look for an alternative.

The show wouldn’t be shots of people cycling about. I’m sure I’ve seen programmes like this (educational one-off types) on other subjects but frustratingly I can’t bring to mind examples.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘How can I get a TV programme made about cycling?’ is closed to new replies.