Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How big / costly is it to remove fireplace / Heath upstairs and down???
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

Ok so a bit of background…

We live in a 1930’s semi detached house with fire place in both front and back room up and down (4 in total).
    In the front room we have a wood burner and upstairs its not to much an issue.

In the back I’d ideally like to remove the full Heath / fireplace upstairs and down.
    Down stairs is a dining room but this will eventually be a kitchen so losing it will make a big difference; likewise upstairs is our bedroom and at the moment were limited as to where bedroom furniture can go so it would be nice to have the option to change things about.

I was thinking we could support what’s left in the attic so not having to mess with the outside stack which is attached to the neighbours. Everything below could go. Now both room need gutting at some point so mess isn’t to much of an issue as it all needs work / plastering etc.

So how much work is involved? What sort of cost? Just looking at removing and making structurally sound.
    Plasterwork etc can be factored into the cost of doing the rooms up.

spchantler
    Free Member

are you talking about the fireplace, hearth, or the chimney breast as well, on two stories? if so the floors will need making good, joists will be trimmed round the chimney breast. so, stack will need supporting in the roof space, with two big angles bolted to the wall and a steel between them, new floor joists, new floors in the gap, skirting boards, plastering, removal of rubble and soot, fair old job…get some quotes in and we can tell you if its too much 😉 i’ll come and quote if your in west yorks

slackalice
    Free Member

It’s a significant amount of work and as spc above alludes, there will be structural work involved to support the stack remaining in the attic and above the roof line.

Likewise, if you’re in Hants/Surrey/Sussex area, drop me a mail and I will arrange quote. For fear of being accused of advertising, I’ll send you web addy if it helps.

Cougar

For fear of being accused of advertising, I’ll send you web addy if it helps.

FYI, from the Rules,

“bona fide retailers may respond to genuine enquiries from potential customers.”

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Cheers guys but Manchester based.
    As you thought I mean full removal with only what’s in the attic remaining with new supports and stack on roof.

Realised it would need floor / ceiling extending.
    Would it need all the boards coming out and new joists in or would they just be extended in some way?

Might not be worth it if cost was stupid but it really would be massively beneficial both up and down stairs.

footflaps

AIUI You can brace across a gap with joists, just need big bolts and a good overlap.

spchantler
    Free Member

new joists could be fitted to old using joist hangars and floor patched in, most important is to get some big steel angles made, think 500x500mm, and a steel putting in between, i’ve seen some horror stories, like the ceiling that was bowing, looking in the attic to find the stack resting on a piece of wood resting on the 4×2 ceiling joists…

project
    Free Member

also as its a party wall with next door, you will need a party wall agreement, and your neighbours agreement to put up with the noise dust, vehicles and skips.

oh and make each room dust proof by taping up doors with plastic sheeting, and opening windows, there is quite a lot of soot trapped in a chimney,yours as well as next doors.

Ive also been in attics with nothing supporting the stack just the mortar line of the bricks above,didnt stay in those houses long.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How big / costly is it to remove fireplace / Heath upstairs and down???’ is closed to new replies.