Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How bad is it for your shock to run dry?
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I was fitting my command post last night and noticed my shock was very dry and the seal wasn’t clearing the dirt off the stanchion properly. I quickly whipped it off and popped it open, the stanchion looked ok and there was no scoring which is lucky. But there was virtually no grease or oil in it and the dust wiper was totally dry with a layer of grime on it. Now I have given it a good clean out greased it and put a little oil in it. It should be ok shouldn’t it?

I will order a new seal kit soon and stick that in. I don’t know how long its been like this but the bike has only been used twice in the past 3 months so I doubt it has been ridden like that lots.

FWIW the shock is a Rock Shox Monarch+

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well, you’ve inspected it and said it looks “OK”, so I guess it is….”OK”?

If the seal looked OK, I wouldn’t bother replacing that. I’ve not seen oil on my stanchion and there’s no reason for any to be there.

RustyMac

Shock should be fine, by the sounds of it you have given it a basic service and if the parts are not damaged then there is no point in replacing them.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s time for a new one pal 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d be replacing the seals as a precaution. You have to ask where did all the oil go if the seal was ok?? Its there to keep oil in and shit out. Something isn’t working as it should.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thats what I thought. bigyinn not patriotpro.

retro83
    Free Member

i thought all fox rear socks leaked oil very slightly by design? mine all have from new

d45yth
    Free Member

If some oil didn’t manage to escape, the seal wouldn’t get lubricated. If that was the case, the coating on the piston wouldn’t last 5 minutes.

legend
    Free Member

Bigyinn, if the oil had made a break for it would it have left the air behind?

bigyinn
    Free Member

legend, not sure if you’re just trolling or asking a genuine question, so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.
    The oil is there for lubrication and to help maintain an airtight seal, but the rubber seal should be enough to retain the air. The OP doesn’t actually say if he was losing air, nor is it really relevant to the original question. Given the bike isn’t ridden much Im not sure if the OP can answer that.
    I would say that without adequate lubrication then the seal is more likely to wear and damage. Hence my suggestion to replace as a matter of course. For the sake of £15 I know what I’d do.
    What would YOU do, legend?

legend
    Free Member

What I’m saying is that if the seal was damaged the air would have pissed out a long time ago. I would fire some oil in, fire some air in, go ride.

The “must change seals on every service” mtb mentality is bollocks, if Showa and Ducati are to be believed at least

patriotpro
    Free Member

I_Ache – Member
    Thats what I thought. bigyinn not patriotpro.

It was meant tongue in cheek.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’m not suggesting that you change the seals at the slightest hint of dirt (I ran my float rl for 5 years without changing seals ). But given the potential damage / wear to the current seal I’d change it, given you’ve got to take it apart anyway. Then you won’t have to piss about with it again for a year or two.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Erm isn’t the seal in question not holding air pressure in? And so air pressure can’t leak from it?

stevomcd
    Free Member

The wiper seal doesn’t have anything to do with retaining the spring air pressure?

EDIT: Beaten to it Al.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I don’t think it was loosing air to be honest, as the bike was ridden regularly until 3 months ago but I have been off with injury. I didn’t notice dirt staying on the sanction before so I think something has happened while it has been sat in the shed, god knows what.

I think that the if dirt is getting behind the wiper then it could damage the air seal and cause it to loose air. Hopefully I have caught it in time and it will be fine. I will keep a close eye on it and see how it is performing over the next couple of rides.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s not like the wiper seal sits right in front of the pressure seal.

You worry too much.

bigyinn
    Free Member

You’re quite right, I was tired. The wiper seal isnt a pressure seal, duh!
    I’d give it a ride once you’ve put some oil back in it. If it all spews out onto the shaft then you can replace it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How bad is it for your shock to run dry?’ is closed to new replies.