Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • House with bedrooms underground – ok?
  • tommo
    Free Member

Looking at an unusual house. Built about 15 years ago with a ground floor with kitchen then down to a basement with the bedrooms in. In this basement, the rooms at the back have their walls underground, but the rooms at the front face the garden. So to get to the garden from street level you have to go down to the basement then out to the garden.

Should I even consider a house like this – can builders waterproof it correctly or will it always be damp and cold?

Thanks in advance to the experts!

jambalaya
    Free Member

It will be very hard to sell on even if there are no damp problems. I personally wouldn’t even consider it and I don’t mind ground floor bedrooms which I know many do not like, underground is a non starter. Underground can be storage or a games room, den, man cave but not a place to sleep IMO

tommo
    Free Member

Thanks, that was my wife’s reaction too. She particularly doesn’t like the thought of bathroom without windows. It is a bit weird isn’t it. Not a cheap house either.

CountZero

She particularly doesn’t like the thought of bathroom without windows. It is a bit weird isn’t it.

Why does the bathroom need a window? Are you going to be standing in front of it naked, towelling yourself off while admiring the view? Many houses now have wet rooms with no windows, and how about en-suit rooms?
    The guest accommodation I stayed in last year had no window in the bathroom, so I can’t see an issue. I’d be more than happy to have the bedroom where your prospective house has them, they’d be nice and quiet.

tommo
    Free Member

–Are you going to be standing in front of it naked, towelling yourself off while admiring the view?
    Lol- if I do that the neighbours won’t be admiring the view that’s for sure!

tenfoot

If the walls / damp proofing has been done properly, it shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve been involved in basement jobs at national contractor level which have failed, so would be naturally wary of buying a house with basement habitable rooms

samuri
    Free Member

Josef Frizl was a big fan of bedrooms in the basement.

trail_rat
    Free Member

No windows = no means of escape in a fire

Worse than an attic conversion imo.

The front rooms would be fine and the back two fine or occasional guests but i wouldnt be happy sleeping in there all the time.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

came to post a Frizl comment, 2 minutes late

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

forget all that damp crap wont be able to sell it malarky…

Its bad feng shui ! Dont mess with the karma…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Waterproofing may come with a warranty – ask.

Living rooms upstairs means they’ll be lighter. You’re only really in bedrooms at night so reduced light not an issue. Bathrooms without windows very common in new builds – with decent ventilation shouldn’t be a problem. Much more sense to give the windows to rooms you spend more time in.

timidwheeler

Women need a window in the bathroom so make-up can be applied in natural light.

tommo
    Free Member

timid – exactly what my wife said!

Edric64
    Free Member

Only ugly birds need makeup !!

matther01
    Free Member

As stated…would really worry about the fire hazard.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Samurai + 1.

It’d make a very good dungeon/holding facility. Could be a plus point come time to sell??

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Would be quiet yes. But how about heating the rooms? Would cost more as heat would disappear into nextdoors void or into their unhabited man caves/ store rooms.

Pook

I lived in a basement flat for 2 years. Never again.

Damp was a constant issue regardless of damp proofing, and the ‘being underground’ feeling could never be shaken off.

Also, seen tremors?

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

mine is like that, although its the living room thats at a lower ground level, no problems with damp as is triple walled, and correctly lined. also its better insulated than the above ground rooms.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Could have its upside…

yunki
    Free Member

Is it that build from an early episode of Grand Designs? If it’s that one it would be interesting to see how it held up.. Lot’s of underground building since then and I think likely to be more.. Am I right in saying that a lot of eco houses use a semi-underground design to aid insulation and reduce impact?

FWIW the last three homes that I’ve lived in have had windowless bathrooms, but then I am poor

unknown
    Free Member

I lived in a basement flat for 2 years. Never again.

Damp was a constant issue regardless of damp proofing, and the ‘being underground’ feeling could never be shaken off.

I’ve lived in a basement flat for 6 years, wouldn’t have a problem doing so again. No damp issues (and this is a 100+ year old building) and it’s ground level to the back so doesn’t feel underground. I’m in a busy area and my flat is much quieter than the ones upsyairs. It is harder to sell because of people’s preconceptions though. Mine is on the market and a recent viewer said she felt it suffered from a lack of natural light – she viewed it at night!

bruneep

just ensure you dont have a fire! if you cant, install suitable warning devices to alert in case you do have one. smoke alarms give you more than enough time to get out in the event of a fire.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’m not sure anyone said the rooms didn’t have windows – they *could* be largely underground and still have a window. Fire risk is pretty notional – if you’re worried fit new, mains powered, smoke alarms. Really no more risk from these rooms than there is from bedrooms a few floors up.

tommo
    Free Member

Back bedrooms haven’t got windows. Hadn’t thought about fire. They open up onto a corridor which leads to the back garden door so a short sprint to the garden. Where my wife is from, they have bars on all the windows in the house. They reckon the risk from intruders is so great that they’ll take the fire hazard. Gulp!

tommo
    Free Member

tenfoot – Member

If the walls / damp proofing has been done properly, it shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve been involved in basement jobs at national contractor level which have failed, so would be naturally wary of buying a house with basement habitable rooms

This is what worries me too. House was built 15 years ago but who knows what short cuts they took.

We’re not following up on it now, thanks for all the helpful advice folks.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘House with bedrooms underground – ok?’ is closed to new replies.