Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • House re-pointing
  • martinm116
    Free Member

Hi
    I need to do some re-pointing on my house. Has anyone had any experience of attempting this themselves?

Undecided whether to get a pro in or attempt it myself. I've heard it's a crappy job and it can be a struggle to get a good builder to do it especially in summer, any thoughts?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Its dead easy, is it lime mortar?

martinm116
    Free Member

Don't know if is lime mortar or not. Is there a way of telling?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I wouldn't say dead easy but it's certainly doable if you're half handy. Is there a brick wall anywhere you could get a few hours practice doing first. Built a wee brick wall myself a few weeks ago and my pointing was decent at the end but a bit shite at the beginning. I'm just thinking that with it being the house walls, you'd probably want it all to look good 🙂

martinm116
    Free Member

I've never attempted any sort of building work before, so a little bit wary. Having a go on a test wall would be a good idea I think.

Hadge
    Free Member

Builders don't want do it as it's a tedious boring job for them. If you know an old retired brickie who wouldn't mind some extra beer/pocket money ask him as they'll usually do a good job.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Not difficult, but dirty, laborious and slow.

I got my dad to help/teach me first time round – took about 1/2 hour to become OK at it

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

By the time you have bought the right tools and made a mess several times, you will probably best off paying someone to do it (IMO).

If you really do want to try it, find out what style pointing you are matching to and I am sure there will be online tutorials to show you how to get the correct effect.

jond
    Free Member

It *ought* to be lime mortar on victorian/edwardian buildings or earlier (or if it's stonebuilt) – the mortar's weaker than the bricks, allowing for some movement in the structure without the bricks cracking, and it also breathes better than portland cement mortar (same applies with render). If you do get someone else to do it, make sure they're using the correct mortar for the job, if they don't understand the difference you probably ought to get someone that does.

Make sure enough of the joint's raked out – on our current and previous places whoever'd 'repointed' in a few spots seemed to just lob on a small fillet in the last 5mm or so…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Apprentice bricky? Advertise on gumtree.

It is incredibly satisfying to do yourself. And it's one of those jobs that combines being essential and making a big visual impact.

RichJJ
    Free Member

I did my end wall, well half of it, last year and once you get the hang of it its not that difficult. Builder who did my extention didn't want the job said it was a PITA and not worth it as did the other bricky who did my patio base. Borrowed his pointing gun and after taking out the old stuff with a screwdriver for loose bits and small angle grinder and diamond disc for the rest away I went. Had to redo the first couple of rows as I wasn't happy with it but it looks fine now. As above, tutotials on the net are quite informative.

aP
    Free Member

I always weep when I hear the words angle grinder and repointing mentioned in the same sentence.

RichJJ
    Free Member

[ aP – Member

I always weep when I hear the words angle grinder and repointing mentioned in the same sentence. ]

So did my neighbours when they saw the state of thier car

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘House re-pointing’ is closed to new replies.