Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • house gas fire options/help
  • towzer

Hi

when we moved in we decided that because the existing gas fire installation would have cost too much to remove we decided to leave it (it’s very well done, sort of cotswold stone blocks that are only a bit irritating to look at, however its about 8ft long and the ‘hearth’ comes out 1ft onto floor for the entire length of the fireplace with bottom layer slabs – so removal would have meant plastering and a new carpet in 2 rooms *as rooms are joined….. )

anyway it’s a very nice fire with flame style and intensity controls, BUT doesn’t kick out anywhere as much heat as my previous inset gas fire in a stone fireplace did.

The hole in the stone frontage is 40cm wide and 55 high. ‘Inside that’ is a brick/stone chimney base shaped like a wide shallow V that faces towards you 38cm wide a front, narrowing to 27cm wide at back – currently fitted with a gas fire base/coals and frontage.

Based on the grounds that one of my mates had a gas fire in a metal box that kicked out a lot of heat does it sound like I could get one that sort of fits in the hole.

Any other suggestions, I’m quite happy with the convenience of gas but something more effective would be good.

Ta

footflaps

Under the 1939 STW Convention, we can only recommend a wood burner and a checked shirt. Have you thought about growing a beard as well?

Junkyard
    Free Member

He is correct but what about the best of both a pretend wood burner that uses gas

FWIW i have one – and of course a real wood burner in the east wing for the best of both

Gas is good as it is fast and quick to warm the room or when you want just a quick blast of heat in say the morning

footflaps

Gas is good as it is fast and quick to warm the room or when you want just a quick blast of heat in say the morning

But so is getting up at 6am in your checked shirt, walking through the snow to the wood shed, chopping up the logs for 30mins then coming back and lighting a fire (not to mention stroking your beard in a manly fashion).

Junkyard
    Free Member

No that is just hot not quick 😉

footflaps

No that is just hot not quick

[Earl Jones]
    I find your lack of faith disturbing….
    [/Earl Jones]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘house gas fire options/help’ is closed to new replies.