Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • House door damper…
  • samuri
    Free Member

In our kitchen is my cycling cupboard. It’s got a normal sized door on the front and it’s where all my cycling gear goes. That’s all fine.

Right next to this cupboard, is the door into the kitchen. Normal sized door again. I want to kill this door. I would shoot it if I thought it would help. You see, due to some dodgy workmenship (ahem), the door always swings open.

So what happens is, I’ll be rummaging around in my cycling cupboard for stuff, and then it’ll start to get dark and then I’ve got a door pressing against me. I cannot tell you how annoying this is.

Now I can’t put a stop on the floor because when people come in to the kitchen, they usually open the door past the point where I want it to stop.

So is there such a thing as a door damper? I’m thinking of the hinge arrangements that go on the top of the door that keep it in place when it’s not being pushed. Nothing that provides a lot of back pressure, it should be barely noticiable to someone pushing the door open but enough to stop it moving by itself….

Or obviously, any tips appreciated.

Shadow
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOOR-RESTRICTOR-FIT-UPVC-TIMBER-ALUMINIUM-DOOR-/170643428796?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&hash=item27bb2415bc#ht_1953wt_955

Or you could re hang the door with the bottom hinge moved further out to stop it swinging open

samuri
    Free Member

The frame is split at the bottom which I guess is the main reason why it happens but it means repositioning the bottom hinge is not an option. Ultimately I should replace the frame but since it all works fine apart from the door opening….

I’ll try one of those restrictors, it looks exactly like the one that holds our conservatory door open (and got bent in the wind), so I’ll orde two. Thanks.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Cant you just close the door while going in the cupboard, then open it again when you’ve fished your bits out?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘House door damper…’ is closed to new replies.