Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Houmous, its like Coca Cola……a bit.
  • kayak23

I mean, I’m all for expanding your horizons, I positively encourage it but ‘Broad Bean, Asparagus and Mint Houmous’? Now come on, thats going a bit too far isn’t it?

Its like Cherry Coke, its just wrong really and I despair in those who allow themselves to be drawn into it. They should never have messed with it IMHO.

I’m what you might call a Houmous-purist. I like the fact its such a simple recipe and such a good taste with the variety coming from different blends of the same basic ingredients, so whats with all these hundreds of different flavours of Houmii’ that we are getting now?

I sincerely hope this dilution of houmous-culture will not have any unforeseen negative effects.

Also, is it Houmous, or Hummus? Do we know? is it pronounced humm-us, or hoooo-muss(as my Mum says).

binners

All houmous has the texture and taste of wallpaper paste IMHO. Hats off to Tesco. Its quite an achievement to make it even worse

BLEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURGH!!!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It’s limited edition, like a black and gold Orange Five – get one while you can.

AndyP
    Free Member

applause for use of the correct plural.

warton
    Free Member

how can you have ‘garlic houmous’ Garlic is one of the main ingredients. whats next? chickpea houmous? olive oil houmous?

chakaping
    Free Member

[typical STW oneupmanship]
    You mean you don’t make your own?
    [/typical STW oneupmanship]

PS. I love Cherry Coke, much better than “the real thing”. Wish I had a recipe for that.

D0NK

Its like Cherry Coke, its just wrong really

wash your mouth out.

admittedly there’s too many cokes now, mainly with stuff removed, should have stopped at coke and cherry coke.

nedrapier

AndyP – Member

unfortunately not. it should be singular there.

for example:

He keeps many rare breeds of sheep

rather than:

He keeps many rare breeds of sheep.

HTH

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like humous, but KISS, one type is enough.

AndyP
    Free Member

nedrapier – Member

AndyP – Member

unfortunately not. it should be singular there.

for example:

rather than:

HTH

‘…use of the correct plural’, not ‘…correct use of a plural’.

HTH.

DickBarton

You shouldn’t eat it if it is fizzy…of is there another similarity to Cola that I don’t know?

mintimperial

I flipping love houmous. Practically live off the stuff. Adding things to it is just plain wrong. If you don’t like houmous as it is you should probably just go back to your processed squeezy cheese or whatever it is you freaks normally eat.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its nice, and unlike Coke, it doesnt cause cancer.

Peyote
    Free Member

admittedly there’s too many cokes now, mainly with stuff removed, should have stopped at coke and cherry coke.

I liked the one with a hint of lemon, like how they serve it in pubs with a slice.

But then I also like the caramelised onion houmous, so I’m always going to be treading the ‘pleb’ line…

joao3v16
    Free Member

The Greeks use humous only for grouting.
    They think it’s hilarious that we actually eat the stuff.

bwaarp
    Free Member

The asparagus and mint one is nice.

Shouldn’t be a limited edition!

kayak23

I flipping love houmous. Practically live off the stuff. Adding things to it is just plain wrong. If you don’t like houmous as it is you should probably just go back to your processed squeezy cheese or whatever it is you freaks normally eat.

This…

bwaarp
    Free Member

Minitimperial is just boring. I love all kinds of houmous, anything goes. 8)

stumpy01

chakaping – Member

PS. I love Cherry Coke, much better than “the real thing”. Wish I had a recipe for that.

I know the recipe….
    Some Coca Cola
    Some Cherry

Mix. Enjoy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You mean you don’t make your own?

THIS

The only vegan sandwich you can almost alwyas get [ unless you have common friends in which case it is a jam butty without marg]

Lik eit but like to mix it up with ingredientrs as well when i make it

Also do the same with lentil based ones, mushroom based ones and a variety of other beans

Variety being the spice of life and all that

Not a fan of shop bought stuff as it is too runny IMHO

binners

mintimperial – this is a far superior foodstuff to houmous

As this picture proves, it benefits from the addition of all kinds of yummy stuff 😀

Harry_the_Spider

[ponce]I make my own homous too*[/ponce]

*when I can be arsed.

brassneck

Its nice, and unlike Coke, it doesnt cause cancer.

Only in California, perfectly safe otherwise.

infidel
    Free Member

[arab heritage] actually a broad bean dip made much the same way as hummus is perfectly traditional in the middle east, as is my absolute favourite ful mudammes – made with fava beans (though my mum adjusts it a bit by adding chopped fresh tomato to it.) Sorry to be a pedant but mum would be disappointed if I didn’t point it out! [/arab heritage]

adstick
    Free Member

How can you possibly call yourself a ‘houmous-purist’ when you buy it in packets!!! Hang your head in shame.

Cougar

for example:

rather than:

Am I blind, or is that the same example, twice?

portlyone

The real question is whether to dip with plain Doritos or Cool? 😀

AndyP
    Free Member

Am I blind, or is that the same example, twice?

The second one has a full stop at the end.

mintimperial

mintimperial – this is a far superior foodstuff to houmous

As this picture proves, it benefits from the addition of all kinds of yummy stuff

See this is exactly what I’m talking about. You’re welcome to eat whatever nasty cheese-type food-style goop-inna-tube you fancy, and you can add bits of house-brick to it for all I care. Just don’t go messing around with traditional middle-class English cuisine like houmous, ok? 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Just don’t go messing around with traditional middle-class English cuisine like houmous, ok?

Funny innit, houmous is a bit middle class, so are sun dried toms.

But put them together and it’s suddenly “chav food”.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you got a blender Kayak? It’s dead easy to make your own and you can make it just the way you like it, once you work out the right mix for you.

binners

O!! M!!! G!!!! Mintimperial – In the interests of research I just went to the Primula website, check this out. They do recipes and everyfink.

Sausage AND primula? Be still my beating heart 😀

mintimperial

Sausage AND primula?

Urgh, I feel queasy now…

binners

Surely everyone loves a cheesy sausage?:D

emsz
    Free Member

Binners, I’m pretty certain my lovely, the ladies prefer it if you had a shower.

kayak23

Have you got a blender Kayak? It’s dead easy to make your own and you can make it just the way you like it, once you work out the right mix for you.

I have a Charge Blender, but not a food blender.
    I tried to make it a few times before but frankly it always tasted slightly overpowering in one or more of the ingredients, or indeed too bland and a bit like sand. I wouldn’t put that down to my culinary skills in the dip department as my Guacamole has now become legendary 🙂
    Just can’t get the knack of a good houmous I suppose and actually quite enjoy it from supermarkets over a deli or suchlike (shock-horror!)

kayak23

As for the spelling…

donks
    Free Member

making humous is a faff I reckon, more expensive and no better than the bought stuff. I tried a couple of times and ended up re pointing the back wall with it, my god it was bad. The old man makes it and it tastes good but no better than tesco’s

Junkyard
    Free Member

you serious
    1 kg dry Chicke peas about £2 one jar of tahini about £ 2 clove of garlic about 40 p and some oil [ tbh I cant tell if you use normal oil or Olive but I am ssur esome can

I reckon for £5 quid you end up with about 4 kilo of humous perhaps more…probably no cheaper if you use tinned chick peas but that is not making it yourself is it 😉

Its not cost effective to make your own tahini I have tried but it can be omitted to save even more

binners

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Houmous, its like Coca Cola……a bit.’ is closed to new replies.