Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hot melt chain wax – where from?
  • billysan
    Free Member

Does anyone know where to buy this stuff now?

Ive seen motorbike specific stuff, but this is really heavy wax. I had a tin of proper bike stuff that I lost a few years ago. I cant find where to buy it anywhere!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I use the motorcycle stuff – putoline chain wax – its works really really well

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s not suitable for o-ring chains so you’ve more chance of finding it in a motor cross shop. I’m still in two minds about it really.

billysan
    Free Member

Cheers for the pointer for the Putoline stuff.

I didnt think most bike chains were O-ring. I run KMC X9-L and X10-SL. Can anyone confirm if these are or are not o-ring? Google doesnt really say either way.

cp

I think onzadog is referring to the fact it’s not used on o-ring chains as found on a lot of road motorbikes, so go to an off road (mx) shop to get wax from there.

bike chains don’t have o-rings.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for putoline.

Haven’t figured out how to remove excess though so it always looks filthy.

More tenacious than most lubes, but still washes off on propperly wet/muddy rides.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TINAS

Once the chain is back on the bike I clean the excess off with a cloth – maybe with a tiny amount of gt 85 on the cloth

play
    Free Member

How often do you need to cook the chain? How many miles does a waxing last for?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How long is a piece of string?
    Good weather I get many hundreds of miles from each application, even in bad weather it lasts a few rides.

play
    Free Member

TJ – Would you sell a lump so that i could try it out?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not easy to do as its a solid bath and you melt the whole tin to dunk a chain in and mine is part used so selling you a chunk would leave hardly enough in my tin. I’ll do a chain for you if in edinburgh

its only £18 for a kilo tin anyway

billysan
    Free Member

Thought so, cheeps cp.

play
    Free Member

I’m not in Edinburgh, but thanks for the offer. I’ll get the kilo when i run out next. Cheers.

neilforrow

More tenacious than most lubes, but still washes off on propperly wet/muddy rides.

even in bad weather it lasts a few rides.

if you ride in the wet/ mud i wouldn’t bother IMO. Just wash and use a regular lube. Heating the tin up etc is a ball ache, much easier with regular lube.

I find this is really good.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

neilforrow – I find it lasts much much longer than anything else – conditions that strip normal lubes of the chain in a few miles – (peat bogs) don’t strip the wax out for a hundred or more miles.

I believe I am getting several times the chain life and the £18 tin has lasted 3 years so far – at least a couple more years left.

Have you used the chain wax? I will not go back to expensive ineffective little bottles of oil

br
    Free Member

I once dropped the tin getting it out of the oven, onto Mum’s kitchen floor…

+1 ‘O’ ring chains

zangolin
    Free Member

Putoline Chain Wax seems to be around £25 for the kilo tub – best I can find with free p+p is Dirtbikebitz £24.18.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve still got a can of Linklyfe (the forerunner of Putoline) in my garage somewhere I must try it one day.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmm – gone up a fair bit since I bought my tim

cynic-al
    Free Member

“several times the chain life” is impressive and implies the cassette and chainrings are lasting as long also?

Northwind

TJ’s obsessive arguing convinced me to get a tin, Dirtbikebitz was the best price I could find but what I didn’t realise is that the tin’s enormous. Should have been obvious really but it does feel reassuringly massive when it arrives.

Going to do the retro-commuter-hell-bike first since its chains cost nowt and it never gets cleaned or lubed, see how that works out.

billysan
    Free Member

I just had the same experience, ie ordered from DBBiz and didnt appreciate the size of the tin! Its the size of a decent deep frying pan!!!

It greatly amused my (non cycling) office co-workers when it turned up!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hot melt chain wax – where from?’ is closed to new replies.