Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Horror story with Maxxis High Rollers in mud
  • chrisdb
    Free Member

worra spacker

+1

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

You were running a 2.2 High roller (which doesn’t exist btw) at 20psi (20 psi!!!!), to ride a trail that you reckon you’ve ridden for 15 years, but are unable to give an accurate description or location of, and then you recommend Panaracer Fire xc’s as a decent alternative?

You’re on a wind up aren’t you?

This is pretty much the conclusion I’ve come to.

HRs are fine in the gloop. Nowt works on claggy clay, deal with it. Fire XCs, LOL.

jhw
    Free Member

the problem was the tyres. quick google search says dirt magazine agrees they’re bad in mud (any mud). if your high rollers work in the mud it’s probably cos you’re mincing.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Or because we are able to ride bikes?

The clue is in the “fishtailing” on a Holmbury Hill descent. 😆

coogan
    Free Member

Well, if dirt magazine says so, I’m taking mine off…

Drac

Well sliding down a hill out of control kind to tells me who was mincing.

njee20
    Free Member

WTF?

Wind up, surely. Fire XCs are attrocious tyres, and I fail to believe that a patch of mud caused you any problems. I’ve ridden with Furious Freds up there, they really have no grip in the wet, and haven’t had problems with ‘fishtailing’ down descents!

BoardinBob

Nowt works on claggy clay,

Swampthings do

bobbyspangles

If you read the dirt review on high rollers and come to the conclusion that HRs’ are rubbish in mud then i don’t quite believe you understand what constitutes a ‘mud tyre’ situation.
    The he fact is mud tyres are designed for a trail where mud is 90% of the menu, high rollers are designed for an all round tyre and are able to cope with dust over hardpack through loamy and onto wet conditions.

If the bike is fishtailing then it will be because of a dragging rear brake, as a tyre needs to roll to work.

toomanybikes
    Free Member

Maxxis WetScreams are brill in mud,

Shandy
    Free Member

So where is this thread headed?

Product recall for the High Rollers

and

If you can ride them in the wet without twisting your panties, then you’re sh*t?

whytetrash

I really rate 2.35 HR’s use em most of the year (swapping for Aspens for Meridas etc) agree they can get sketchy in mud BUT reckon most tyres behave like that on greasy clays (was drifting round last night on em)I think they are brilliant all rounders but for clay and tarmac there are better tyres out there…not Fire XCs though 😉

njee20
    Free Member

But Holmbury isn’t greasy clay, the mud up there just isn’t slippery!

Dougal
    Free Member

This and that other thread are a troll: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/nobby-nic-ust

Don’t brake, let the tyre do it’s job.

jhw
    Free Member

I’m just recounting my objective experience – I ended up sliding down a trail ass over tit in slightly slippery but generally benign conditions, on a trail where normally the grip is very good, and the sole variable that day was the tyres.

Where this thread is going is, I’m posting a review of these tyres, others are qualifying my review with their own experiences, and the end-product is more information for consumers to base their buying decisions on, which is good all round, with a little bit of personal abuse of my riding style/knowledge thrown in, albeit good natured I’m sure, and I’ll still be seeing you at the finish line!

Humble Panaracers perform tolerably in all conditions (albeit not “well” in any of them), I do alright on them anyway – even in slippy clay. In contrast, you can totally rip on High Rollers in the dry but they’re useless (dangerous?) when it’s wet.

The trail was near the old Widowmaker, and it was claggy on Saturday. Reckon it could have been the result of some kind of digging or something (like near the pond by the car park) rather than rain but the result was the same.

molgrips
    Free Member

Plenty of clay round by me, I use trailrakers all winter. I was one of the few people riding all the time in those bad Mayhems and SITS of a few years ago.

Dougal
    Free Member

and I’ll still be seeing you at the finish line!

Probably not, we’ll have all gone home while you’re still out lying on your ass complaining about your tyres.

sailor74
    Free Member

if you want extra braking traction in slippery conditions fit the rear tire backwards

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

My HR clagged up at the brighton big dog. but then everything did, so no great surprise there.

Actually found the Fire XC not bad when I changed onto those for my last lap.

However, HR back on the bike now and I’ve never had a problem with them riding round holmbury each week.

Still, each to his own, that’s why there’s hundreds of tyres out there I guess.

FTR, Eskars are great tyres and very very good value.

ssnowman
    Free Member

At Ruthin yesterday I had HR on front & Tioga factory mud on back & they both managed pretty well on the very very muddy descents.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Bicycle slips on mud shocker, expensive new tyres the answer – Film at 11.

FFS.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Was at Ruthin yesterday & had a HR on the front with a Conti Vertical on the rear.
    Front tyre clogged up completely in all but the most watery conditions whilst the rear rarely lost traction. It got so silly that the chap behind me asked if my bike had a hinge in the middle due to the front washing out as soon as i started to pedal, due mainly to the rear gripping & the front sliding sideways at the least provocation.

I was on a fairly slack angled bike though so maybe that had something to do with it?

Hopefully will be better on my local grit-stone based mud.

grumm
    Free Member

Then the next steep bit came and the bike went completely out of control fishtailing, it was sheer luck that I was able to bring it to a stop without hitting a tree!

Wow what a horror story!! I’m amazed you have the courage to recount it. 😛

I’ve found HRs fine in the wet in the Lakes before btw. They do get a bit clagged but it soon sheds.

jhw
    Free Member

Does a steeper bike handle better in the mud?

My bike’s got variable geometry so I could try that.

I can see how this might work – a steeper head angle means the bike’s more responsive to the type of small adjustments that keep you upright in mud.

On the other hand sometimes (most of the time) the best way to get through the wet stuff seems just to bomb through and ride in a very steady, un-twitchy way (like skiing on ice) and for this I would’ve thought slack geometry would be better.

The best mud tyre I’ve ever used (admittedly there have not been many) were the old Tioga DH 2.3s (or even 2.1s). They stopped making them I think. Alright but not amazing in dry, perfect in wet.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i managed a muddy ride on 35c touring slicks at the weekend. does this mean;

a) i was mincing?
    b) i am a riding god?

thank god i don’t have high rollers on my commuter!

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

The best mud tyre I’ve ever used (admittedly there have not been many) were the old Tioga DH 2.3s (or even 2.1s). They stopped making them I think. Alright but not amazing in dry, perfect in wet.

Any lasting doubts about you trolling or not have finally been answered; only thing Tioga DH’s are good for is chucking on a bike you’re selling and never have to ride again

ampthill

I think the line the only varaible was the tyre is a bit suspect

I find my HR doos all round tyres round here Bedfordshire but I avoid clay

But I think clay soil can be at its worst at a sort of intermediate level of wetness. Wet enough to stick not so wet the tyre can cut into it…

jhw
    Free Member

But I think clay soil can be at its worst at a sort of intermediate level of wetness. Wet enough to stick not so wet the tyre can cut into it…

So true

Er I must admit another variable which I’ve just discovered that might have had some effect is that the bike shop reversed my brakes the last time they bled them without telling me, or seemingly realising themselves (it sounds like a tort case they teach you in law school…).

I know, I know, this is the most retarded thing I’ve ever heard of too, how did I not notice in a month’s riding, etc. I didn’t notice until I was spinning my wheels today to check they were true and had to jam on each brake to stop the spin. Oddly there were no faceplants due to grabbing a fistful of front without realising – just traction issues and I couldn’t endo when I wanted to.

No doubt any traction issues with the tyre would have been compounded by my handling the rear brake as if it were the front brake and vice versa.

That said I rode the same trail on Holmbury today before I clocked that the brakes were reversed, using a Michelin Comp 16 on the rear and an “unsexy” (but I actually like it) Tioga DH 2.3 on the front (both have been hanging in my garage since 2003), in wetter conditions than last week, without any problems at all.

So in general I stand by my comments on High Rollers but I accept that rider village idiotness had something to do with it too.

singlespeedstu

You do know you’re making it worse for yourself don’t you.

chrisdb
    Free Member

you are either trolling, or incredibly lame.

ampthill

Reversed brakes

Well its an opinion not a fact

But I’d know every big grab if I was getting the wrong brake….

Great thread though really entertaining

Splash-man
    Free Member

< Shakes head wildly in disbelief >

How the hell could you go for a month without realising that your brakes have been reserved ??? I think I would have noticed the first time I grabbed a lever.
    So what LBS do you use ?????

br
    Free Member

Reversed brakes, and you hadn’t noticed?

You don’t ride a Lapierre do you, ‘cos we saw a load of of guys with big bikes last weekend at the Monument cafe. One of them had his bike upside down and was spinning the front wheel. The wheel was sticking but it was quite obvious that he had no clue as to what to do. After about 10 mins of him looking puzzled his mate came over and showed him how to ‘reset’ PM calipers…

mamadirt
    Free Member

Must admit on the strength of this thread I put my High Roller order on hold . . . reckon it’s safe to go ahead now though 😉

Drac

Would that be the comp 16 a tyre with almost identical pattern to high rollers then.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

the tires were on back to front.

When you think about it, it’s obvious.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’d try another sport…..

Seriously, this must be the most retarded thing I’ve ever read – and thats a hell of a statement with nearly 9 years of guff on here.

Are you trolling!?

njee20
    Free Member

How the hell could you go for a month without realising that your brakes have been reserved ???

This. Although I’d say reversed, not reserved 🙂

I’m completely unable to take anything you say seriously now! If you think 2.3″ Factory DHs are necessary for Holmbury this only confirms my opinion!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I think he needs to change LBS or learn to bleed brakes himself. I still don’t believe the brake thing, and don’t believe a bike shop would do that. I’m steering clear of Holmbury – there is a riding god charging around there who’s brain can instantly adjust to having the brakes the wrong way around.

I got on a bike years ago with MX style brakes and I smacked my nuts on the stem when I thought I was grabbing a handful of rear brake to do a kid skid.

Where this thread is going is, I’m posting a review of these tyres, others are qualifying my review with their own experiences, and the end-product is more information for consumers to base their buying decisions on, which is good all round, with a little bit of personal abuse of my riding style/knowledge thrown in, albeit good natured I’m sure, and I’ll still be seeing you at the finish line!

I’ll think I’ll pass up on your advice… with all due respect.

singlespeedstu

I got on a bike years ago with MX style brakes

You do know the front brake on an MXer is on the right don’t you?

Or are you as daft as the OP?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Horror story with Maxxis High Rollers in mud’ is closed to new replies.