Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hope XC hub. Think my freewheel fell off :(
  • nickosdialled
    Free Member

Hi all!

Scouting for a bit of opinion.. So I was removing my casette, and instead of it sliding off the hub splines, the entire freewheel unit came off. I didn’t even apply any force, it pretty much just fell off … Attached a photo.

So it’s a 10 year old Hope XC. Minutes before removing the cassette it was gliding beautifully smooth. Is this repairable / advisable to repair, or is it new hub time 🙁 ? There were a few springs in there, 3 I think.

Living in ‘hope’ that I don’t need to replace 🙂

paulosoxo
    Free Member

They do that, IIRC, clean the pawls and springs and put it back together.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup, that’s how they are.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Give it damn good clean, find and refit the springs and pawls and reassemble.

It takes a lot to kill a Hope XC hub!

nickosdialled
    Free Member

That is excellent news 🙂

Feel a lot happer now. Started to price up new wheel builds and felt a bit sick!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

No worries so long as you can find 3 springs and 3 pawls, if not you will have to buy a new set.

TBH it looks like it needed a clean out anyhows.

This will help you:

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/fettling/3-wheels/5-hope-xc-rear-hub-service.html

You only need the freehub off and on bit (don’t replace all the bearings!!!!!!)

ps I put a bolt up skewer through and nip it down prior to pulling the cassette so as to avoid what has happened to you,.

nickosdialled
    Free Member

Ace – thanks. That guide looks really clear.
    Keep me busy this afternoon 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

Yep I have to remember to tighten up the qr on the wifes bike when putting the wheels in the car. Otherwise I have to spend an oily half an hour getting the pawls and springs back in at the trail head car park.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

This shows the pawl fitment in a bit more detail but you’ll need to enlarge the pic a bit.

http://www.mbr.co.uk/advice/how-to-service-your-hope-hub/

allthepies
    Free Member

Good excuse for some hub TLC 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

That’s the norm, my old Bulb did that too, often firing springs and pawls into the undergrowth never to be found again.

nickosdialled
    Free Member

Job done – those pawls were a bit tricky, so I lowered the wheel down on to the freehub and teased thm in with a screwdriver. Lots of gunk cleared out too!

Thanks so much – collectively you saved me a lot of money (and cost somebody a sale 😉 )

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hope XC hub. Think my freewheel fell off :(’ is closed to new replies.