• This topic has 31 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by duir.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Hope Tech X2 vs V2 ?
  • gearsrgood

Trying to decide on possible spec for Orange 5. In upgrades is option to spec Hope V2 disc brakes over standard X2. Apart from disc diameters can anyone shed some light on difference between the two? Cheers

easygirl

surface of the discs and pads are much bigger, much more powerful brake
    just got a set of v2s after trashing my ones, the v2 are heavier, but more powerful.

the_lecht_rocks

v2 have larger master cylinder for greater fluid expansion.
    V2 are an alpine brake fwiw.

charlierevell
    Free Member

V2's are heavier and have a larger piston.
    Orange only spec on 203 mm rotors front and rear. Lots and lots of stopping power. Had them on my 5.
    Can also run the fat V2 Vented rotors if necessary i believe?

gearsrgood

thanks, have ridden a 5 with X2's & thought brakes ok but not amazing, might be worth the upgrade . charlierevell – 203 front & rear , wow must endanger retina!

Radioman

V2s are a massive very powerful brake. I have them on my DH bike and they really work well in the Alps. I didnt bother with the vented version. Unvented they still dont seem to overheat. V2s might be overkill on an Orange 5?

The X2s seem much smaller but I cant comment on them as I dont have them.

I did however recently buy the TechM4s with 180mm rotors for my Dialled Alpine. They are great with superb modulation and good power. I use the old M4s (203 front, 180 rear) on my Spec SX trail (had them since 2003) and they have never let me down even in the Alps..

gearsrgood

Radioman – just been looking on hope website and V2 look like might be bit much, M4 might be good half way option

Radioman

The X2s seem to be the replacement for the Minis. M4s with 203/180 will be plenty fror the alps. A break bleed on any make of brake berore the holiday is recommended.

V2s are like something that goes on a motorbike! So unless you are a very big guy (20stone) I think M4s will easily do it. Im 82kgs and they are fine for me. By the way the new Hope brakes have a lovely new "XT" shifter direct mounting option which is very neat

Have Fun!

Radioman

The X2s seem to be the replacement for the Minis. M4s with 203/180 will be plenty fror the alps. A break bleed on any make of brake berore the holiday is recommended.

V2s are like something that goes on a motorbike! So unless you are a very big guy (20stone) I think M4s will easily do it. Im 82kgs and they are fine for me. By the way the new Hope brakes have a lovely new "XT" shifter direct mounting option which is very neat

Have Fun!

loco_pollo
    Free Member

I've got the V2s on my 5. After years of being unhappy with various sets of brakes I went for 203 front and rear. They're astonishing, I can recommend them. Overkill my arse, I wish I'd done it years ago.

Radioman

Good to hear you like the v2s on your 5 Loco. I dont want to think about your **se thank you!!. I bet they flex the forks a fair bit unless you are running big forks too??. I run my V2s on Totems and think they need that sort of fork or a double crown if you use them hard, or you will get annoying flex …each to his own though…

loco_pollo
    Free Member

Yeah fox 36s

PJ266
    Free Member

No such thing as overkill brakes IMO.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

v2s on a 5 is a bit over the top. m4s might be a bit more like it if you propper thrash it. i have x2s on my alpine and with braided hoses there pretty good. my mate hugh who is a bit of a unit runs m4s on his 5 and he recons its the best upgrade he has.
    good luck choosing

djflexure

Use M4s on my orange 5 and X2s on my hardtail XC. Seems about right.

loco_pollo
    Free Member

Surely if your mate hugh thinks the M4s are the best upgrade he has, then the V2s would be an even better upgrade, what with being even more powerful?

elaineanne
    Free Member

i have Hope X2 and i luv them on my orange 5 ….

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i have tech x2`s upgraded from avid juicy 5, there an amazing brake and feel so much smoother and the levers just feel so much better and more reliable gof or x2 if ur xc , not sure about the v2 dh versions never used em

duir
    Free Member

Aren't V2s an al out downhill brake? That's what I have on my DH bike. The x2s are a more AM setup. As far as I can see the levers on both the same but the calipes are slightly different. Not sure that a 5 needs anything more than x2.

loco_pollo
    Free Member

I don't understand why you would want anything but the very best, most powerful brakes on any bike, except if you were particularly weight conscious.

PJ266
    Free Member

Nahhh, those brakes are too good, you should get some worse ones 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you have massively overspecced brakes they will never get hot enough and you could end up with poor function. Polished pads and so on. Strange but possible /plausible.

You could put motorcycle discs on your bike. Possible to do.

votchy
    Free Member

V2's on my 5 with the vented rotors, 16 stone, Fox 32's and no noticeable flex on the fork, brakes are superb, no issues with glazing pads or not getting them bedded in properly, superb brakes and glad I did the upgrade.

yetiguy
    Free Member

i am a big guy 100kg and have the new m4s, more than enough stopping power 😀

ScottChegg
    Free Member

TJ and his upside-down topsy-turvy 'you need really tiny brakes for them to work' theory.

V2's are great but heavy. M4's, X2's significantly lighter. Tech V2 now comes with 183mm rotor if you don't fancy the full wallop. I tried V2's on my 5 and they were amazing; loads of power from the off. Didn't like the half pound extra over M4's so went back to them with a bigger (don't tell TJ!) 203mm front rotor. Now perfect.

rhid

I run V2s on my DH bike and my Heckler and cannot recommend them enough. I run 203 each end on my DH rig and 183 each end on my heckler and the stopping power is amazing! After years of faffing with various other brakes i am happy to say that these are the best that I have ever owned.

Get some and you won't regret it, especially if you like to go downhill quickly!

messiah
    Free Member

I'm not so sure there is much weight difference between V2 and M4.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

There's a bit of a penalty between calipers and levers, but the V2 Floating rotors are a bit heavier, and the Vented rotors are much, much heavier.

scrappy
    Free Member

ive got V2's on my orange five 2011. there awesome. rather have overkill on brakes than not enough! great modulation too

TooTall
    Free Member

scrappy – why are you bringing dead threads back from beyond the grave? This 6 months – the other a year dead!

pricey
    Free Member

ive got vented v2's on my attack trail wouldnt have anything else, im 19stone (and getting lighter )used to be 24 ! my avids used to melt, discs went blue and pads caught on fire then crash lol ,no probs now just a ting ting noise as the discs cool down ,u wont regret it .

duir
    Free Member

V2s would be way too much on a 5. If you need that much stopping power on a 5" trail bike then…………etc. I run the V2s on my Shocker and they are awesome for downhill courses. I run the x2s on my Mythic Spitfire 5" trail bike and they are awesome. Everytime I hear that someone tried X2s and they thought they felt just "ok" or "underpowered" I chuckle. If you really take the time to bleed them correctly, center the calipers, equalize the pads, set the reach and bite correctly then you will have tonnes of power and a super brake for the UK.

I would go X2 on a 5 with larger rotors if you are a keen braking enthusiast.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech X2 vs V2 ?’ is closed to new replies.