Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hope Tech X2 Performance?
  • jonzo
    Free Member

I have an Orange 5AM and "upgraded" the brakes at £180 to Hope's X2's and are getting very poor performance out of them?
    I've previously been used to Hayes and wondered if there was anything I'm missing, or are they just good looking brakes with sub standard performance????

DT78
    Free Member

Haven't used Hayes before but the current fleet have mono minis, magura louise, LX and most recently X2s. I am happy with the x2's performance and would say they are marginly more powerful than the mono minis as I am a rotor size smaller and can still easily lock the wheels with one finger.

Did you bed the pads in before use?

geetee1972
    Free Member

By any chance have ended up with organic rather than sintered pads in them. That would explain the vastly different performance you've been experiencing? Most of the time the difference in performance between various brands is pretty marginal but using organic pads is often a terifying experience as compared to sintered they feel like they just don't work. The only time you need consider them is in the alps where they resist heat better. But that's because they don't produce any friction in the first place!

jonzo
    Free Member

Pads have gone within a couple of months! the brakes just lack power.
    I just expected their performance to match their reputation and look… shame really.
    I've ordered some Superstar kevlar pads as I've used them before and know how they should feel.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Have you looked at the X2 bleeding instruction video on the Hope website? It's a bit different to the Mono's and other brakes.

jonzo
    Free Member

Fitted the kevlar Superstar components pads which have transformed the performance!
    They are now almost as good as the standard Avid Elixrs I upgraded from?

backhander
    Free Member

Something is wrong there. Hope brakes are superior in every way to Avids.
    Give em a bleed.

warton
    Free Member

Jonzo, I agree, been very disappointed with the stopping power going from avid juicy 7s to hope. But funnily enough I ordered some superstar kelvars today as well, so fingers crossed!

spock
    Free Member

bleed em, there's something up there.

jonzo
    Free Member

warton: I'm sure you wont be disappointed with the pads, I've used them before in Hayes HFX9's out in the Portes du Soleil, they were excellent then as well.

backhander: I love the look and build of the Hopes but in comparison to the Avid Elixrs I upgraded from they are no match in the performance stakes!

mudpup
    Free Member

Hmm thats weird – i too had problems with some X2's.
    Have previously had 3 sets of Hope brakes over last 10 years with no problems at all.
    Treated myself to an X2,Tech lever, braided hose, floaty rotor set up up and within 2 weeks had a leaky bore cap on the front and leaky piston seal on the back. Put the disappointing performance down to contaminated pads/rotors and sent them all back to Hope for a looky. They came back 3 days later fixed and with pads replaced but were still rubbish – levers pulling back to bars and about as stoppy as dragging your feet. Got a good bike shop (Senacre Cycles – Will is a top spanner) to check it out. He bled the brakes and levers and they are now excellent.
    Why did Hope send them back like that, whats happened to the legendary quality and attention to detail?
    Good news is that they are great when set up well.

backhander
    Free Member

That's more what I was expecting.
    I've tried elixirs, juicy 3,5,7 and carbons. I hated all of the juicies without exception, terrible feel and modulation.
    The elixirs were far better but nowhere near the power of my hopes, mind you I do have tech M4s with big ass rotors (180/203) and they're well cared for!
    I honestly believe that once the X2s have had a bleed and a faff, you'll change your mind.

jonzo
    Free Member

backhander
    Got them straight from Orange/Biketreks and have no reason to suspect they need bleeding but am considering going to 203 and 185 to give them as much of a chance as possible.

orange
    Free Member

X2's? i'd have got the M4's myself, no need for dinner plates then… unless you are ten stone nothing….

i've not used them to be honest (but have M4's on a Patriot and a Five) but have always just thought on them as just set of posh mini mono's; which i used to run on my Soul and they were pants – and a bike like a 5AM deserves decent brakes

mudpup
    Free Member

Jonzo
    try giving them a bleed first
    Mine felt disappointing from new but i thought the leaks had caused the problem. In hindsight i reckon they needed bleeding before fitting.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

There must be a rabbit off here, My pal has them on his Pace 305 & can just about lock both wheels with one finger. He is a titch mind, compared to me.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I had the same problem and was told the pads that come with the brakes are rubbish and don't last long so I changed them , also what made a massive change was puting goodridge hoses on them , in my experience it transformed the performance ….or might of been they just needed bleeding from the factory ? love them now nice feel to them 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech X2 Performance?’ is closed to new replies.