Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Hope Tech M4 versus X2
  • jimmerhimself
    Free Member

Has anyone out there tested both the Hope Tech M4 and X2 brakes? I’ve read quite a few posts on various forums saying that the difference should be the same as between a Mono Mini and M4 but I can’t see how this would be the case.

Total piston surface area pushing against the pad on the Tech M4 is now 402mm and the Tech X2 is 380mm (increased from 314mm on the old Mono Mini). So this would suggest to me that in raw power terms they should be quite close….am I way off the mark here?

Thanks

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s more to it than that. I suppose you need to work out the effective leverage ratio – volume displaced by the lever and the piston, and how far they move all come into working out how much power they have on paper. But then again there’s things like caliper body flex and heat dissipation to consider too.

A Moto V2 caliper is basically the same as a Mono Mini, just bigger. And it’s about 10x more powerful even though the pads move more than on Mono Minis (ie leverage ratio is less) due to the above factors, I guess.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech M4 versus X2’ is closed to new replies.