Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hope Tech 3 E4 or V4 brakes?
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Mrs Santa has threatened to help upgrade my Hope X2s for Christmas and I’m looking at the new Hope E4 and V4s now I’m getting faster fatter.

Had XTs on my ht but prefer the feel of the Hopes. Looking between the E4s and the V4s I can’t see any differences apart from that the V4 is a solid caliper and comes with braided hoses.

Would prefer standard hoses so I’m swinging towards the E4s but would I be missing out by not going for the V4s?

Thanks.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’ve got X2s on my hardtail and E4s on my Whyte FS and the E4s paired with Tech 3 levers are IMHO very, very good. I’m running standard hoses as my frame has internal routing and 180mm discs front and rear as I’m just fatter 🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

No problems with power on my E4s they’re so powerful I’ve been able to use them with 180/160 rotors on my big bike. Stopping power – when you want it – is like a stick through the spokes and yet at the start of the stroke they’re as friendly as Deores.

Really superb brakes

chiefgrooveguru

E4 are really great! E4 have four equal size pistons, V4 have two that size and two which are bigger. E4 is more enduro! 😉

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Cheers lads E4s sound ideal then!

I take it the V4s are more dh orientated then? @ leftyboy is there a noticeable feel in power between the X2s and the E4s?

nbt

If I remember correctly what Onzadog was saying, the V series has a bigger piston than the E series – 25mm as opposed to 22mm

rooster42
    Free Member

Recently upgraded from Avid Elixir 7’s to Hope E4s (got fed up with smashing the Avids off the handlebars) and although initially they didn’t feel as powerful, I’m starting to like them a lot now as they have a lot more feel and modulation which is great for riding in slippy muddy conditions as they don’t lock up as easily as the Avids On/Off brake feel.

SirHC

V4’s have a pair of 14/16mm pistons and will take a vented rotor. The E4’s use only 14mm pistons and a standard thickness rotor. I have V4’s on the dh bike and they are noticeably more powerful than the E4’s on my trail bike. I would go for E4’s for general riding.

chris_db
    Free Member

I just got E4’s to replace my on/off XT; fitted to a Canyon Nerve AM.

Very happy with the power and feel of them. I’m just an average fat bloke and they suit me fine.

creamegg
    Free Member

I have the V4’s and they are awesome IMO and noticeably more powerful then the V2’s they replaced and way better than the XT’s on my other bike. Not tried the E4’s so don’t know how they compare to them.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Will be used for general trail riding etc so the E4s should be more than enough by the sound of it.

Thanks again.

P.s. X2s now in the for sale section!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech 3 E4 or V4 brakes?’ is closed to new replies.