Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • hope quick release seat collar failure!
  • grizzer
    Free Member

Has anyone heard of hope seat collar shearing,not the lever but the collar where the bushing sits,i pulled on the lever to drop my seat and 'ping' the collar snapped,iam sending it back to Hope for warrinty but i thought i'd check on here to see if it as happened to anyone else…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Happened to clareymorris on the STW February Lakeland ride.

mildred

yes me.

I sent it back and got a replacement sent that has slightly more metal to it. 48 hr turnaround.

grizzer
    Free Member

how easy it snapped i thought it would'nt be a one off !i'll go for the non QR i think

Lactic
    Free Member

Yep, mine did that last week. Bought a salsa one instead. Are the replacements a different design then mildred?

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Happened me this week….

I put a salsa on which feels nicer to open and close.

Also broke both wings on my fizik gobi… think I need to lighten up a bit !

Dibbs
    Free Member

I've just fitted a Salsa non QR to one of the bikes, much nicer than a Hope 🙂

Ambrose

Happenned to me at the top of the Skyline climb.

grizzer
    Free Member

By the sounds of it this must be a problem they're aware of so iam a puzzled to why they would ask me to send them a picture?

mildred

I just rang them and they said send it using returns form.

I did this and it came back really quick. It was the newer version that cracked and looking at it I could see immediately there was more material (less machining or whatever it's called to leave more metal).

I compared this to my other one and the difference is obvious. The design looks same but just a bit thicker.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

why they would ask me to send them a picture?

to prove you have one and it is broken ?

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Yes, but about 5 years ago, doubt it's out the current batch!

I just chucked it away an thought i'll neve buy that poop again!

allthepies
    Free Member

Happened to me early this year.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Old style one two years ago. Went while building the bike. CRC swapped it for something different without any bother.

Filthy
    Free Member

Yes happened to a 28.6 one that I had fitted to one of the kids bikes, Hope kindy replaced it straight away.

What size was yours?

grizzer
    Free Member

30.00mm and the new lever shape, i've spoke to them and will be sending it back but was interested to see if it had happened to anyone else because it failed so easily and SFB the point about the pic was they've obviously dealt with a few of these and iam hardly going to phone if i did'nt own one…

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Yep. The thing practically exploded into my thigh. Rubbish.

confuzzed
    Free Member

and people complain about Taiwanese stuff.

Northwind

Kbrembo – Member

"I put a salsa on which feels nicer to open and close."

This feeling may not last :mrgreen:i like Salsa a lot, but mine didn't like the wet at all, soon started to wear. Not a huge Hope fan really but mine have definately outperfromed the Salsa.

13thfloormonk

The only bling on any of my bikes is a Chromag seat collar, big chunky lever, big chunky bolt, and a big chunky brass bushing between the lever and the collar. Smooth and reliable (well, so far)

stevede
    Free Member

Just fitted a bolt up thomson to my inbred, now i'm hoping they are going to be producing a qr version in the near future for my five.
    I've got a new style hope qr on there at the moment and having read several threads about them breaking i carry an older non qr one as a spare in my pack as sods law mine would break stuck in the middle of the sticks or on a weekend away.

FuzzyWuzzy

Why do these threads only appear after I buy something?

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Can't understand the usual Hope slagging, they have clearly accepted there is an issue and tweaked the design. All problems are sorted without tears and tantrums as usual.

Beagleboy

I've got a 5yr old one on my P7 and an even older one on my Patriot with nary a creak out of either of them in all that time. I reckon you're all doing them up wrong. 😉 Reminds me of the Hope Head Doctor thread. 😈

Northwind

Big Pete – Member

"Can't understand the usual Hope slagging, they have clearly accepted there is an issue and tweaked the design."

Obviously the problem is that they were selling a premium product with an issue 😕 Hope do always fix their problems well which is great but that's not the same as getting it right first time.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘hope quick release seat collar failure!’ is closed to new replies.