Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Hope pro2 15QR hubs- experiencing play?
  • mojo5pro
    Free Member

I have some new hope pro2 15 QR hubs.There is some slight play in the hubs. This appears to be where the spacers (which hope use to convert there pro2 hubs to 15 QR) fit into the hub. These spacers are only locked in by a rubber o-ring. I’m getting a bit of sideways play even when done uptight. Is this just the design and anyone elseexperince this?

firestarter
    Free Member

ive got the new nine mil bolt thru adaptors and i have no play at all

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I’ve got the same hub and adaptors and getting no play with Fox QR15 forks.

hugh_b
    Free Member

I take it you mean movement in the wheel side to side when everything is done up tight?

This is quite a common problem with the hope hubs! Mine did it with both qr and 20mm adapters using a maxle. Had to buy new bearings today which has improved it slightly but not entirely fixed it.

Although hope won’t admit it i think it’s actually a problem with hope hub shells being out of tolerance!

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Thanks for replies. If I take the wheel off and pull the spacers (where the axle goes through)there is a fair bit of give/flex from the o-ring holding in the spacers.I suppose it of makes sense because the spacers are only held in by a rubber o-ring and you remove them by just pulling them out, so you wouldn’t expect a 100% solid seating (?). Seems to be a compromise by Hope to make a generic size hub with additional “easy to install” conversions. Defeats the object of the 15QR system increasing stiffness!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Just converted mine to 15QR and zero play (on Vanillas btw)

Seamus
    Free Member

mick (firestarter) – Member

ive got the new nine mil bolt thru adaptors and i have no play at all

How do you find the 9mm compared to standard QR?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is the QR15 set up like a 20mm hub? ‘cos if so all the adaptors are are spacers so the fact they are held in with o rings is irrelevant. When the 20mm axle of what ever sort is done up properly the whole axle assembly is clamped up tight – the axle in tension and the two adaptors, the inner races of the bearings and the spacer between them are in compression all the o rings will be doing is stopping the adaptors falling out of the hub when the wheel is out.

It sounds to me like one of two things – the bearings not seated correctly or the axle is not tensioned correctly to put the spacers in compression.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

thanks for that Tandemjeremy.When the wheel is out there is play with the spaces. The same play is there when it’s clamped intight and you can see the movement is between the spacers and the hub body rather than between the spacers and the forks.I’ve got the wheel clamped in pretty tight but perhaps it needs to be even tighter?
    Is there any way of telling whether it is likely to be incorrectly seated bearings?

simonm
    Free Member

Ive got QR15 with Fox and Hope 2’s, no play… however.. I have had this with vanilla 36’s and pro2’s and so has a friend… hope said.. “it can happen !!”

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I haven’t seen a qr 15 but looking at teh fox site it says something about clockable thread. When you flip the QR lever it should pull the fork ends together and eliminate all play – the spacers should be clamped tight in compression between the dropouts. If you can still move the spacers this is not happening and something is wrong try tightening up whatever adjustment is at the non QR end

The spacers must have clearnce in the hub body or else it would lock the wheel up – the spacers remain still on the axle. thye clamp unp against the inner races of the bearings and the hub turns on the bearings.

something is not set up right with the axle.

Rorschach
    Free Member

There can be play on both 20mm and now more commonly qr 15.The hope hubs rely on the axle clamping the spacers tight against the hub/bearings.Its worse on fox 20mm forks as the little lever for tightening the axle is so short.Try turning the captive nut in the fork leg a few notches to increase the closing pressure of the 15qr.

jimthesaint

I’ve got two ProII front wheels and run both with 20mm spacers. One of the wheels sits perfectly with no play the other rattles about along the axle. Both of these wheels are less than 6 months old.

Does anybody know of any washers/shims that can be fitted between the spacer and the bearing to take up the play?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Jim – you need to tighten the axle up more – that is all

jimthesaint

Nope that’s not the problem Jeremy. These wheels are both run on a 2008 Manitou Minute with a 20mm bolt-through. These forks use a ‘hex axle’ which is just a an axle with internal threads that you screw a bolt into to put tension on the hub.

One of the ProII hubs works fine, you put the axle through the hub, turn on some tension till you feel the bolt getting tight, tighten up the bolts on the front of the fork, hey presto it works fine.

With the other hub though if you try and do the same it rattles about on the axle even if you tighten up the tension bolt so tight that it won’t turn anymore.

kevin1911

Sounds like the same issue I had with a new set of Pro II’s – bearings not completely set in place in the hub. Give them a few gentle taps with a drift (socket or something) and see if that fixes it.

I tend to agree about the 20mm and 15mm adapters though – they’re anything but a snug fit into the side of the hub. The 20mm adpaters on mine seem like the diameter of them is about 2mm too short to fit snugly into the hub – so they can wobble about when the wheel is out. That said, once the wheel is in and tightened all seems ok (now).

firestarter
    Free Member

seamus it does feel a lot stiffer than normal but i got stiffer wheels at the same time

wildrnes
    Free Member

just this second got off the phone with hope
    my mew maz 55 forks and new hope2 hubs have play within 2 rides
    they say that that is how maxle are and the new maxles (I have new forks) have more threads.. anyone heard about this?

mojo5pro
    Free Member

thanks for advice guys. I took spacers out and gently tapped spacers. Pretty muvh all the play has gone. Must have bearings that were not seated properly.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

meant to say I tapped the bearings, not the spacers.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro2 15QR hubs- experiencing play?’ is closed to new replies.