Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 12mm problem
  • ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’ve got a Pro 2 wheelset that I was converting to 12mm thorugh axle. I do the change and I can’t get the maxle through the hole to mount the wheel on the bike.

Peering up the tube, there is a restriction in the middle. Why would a 12mm thru axle have a qr sized hole in the middle. What an I missing?

Liftman

Have you changes the aluminium hope axel or just the end caps ?

wwaswas

wot Liftman said.

fivespot
    Free Member

Sounds like a std axle tube! The std. Pro 2 QR axle tube has a 12mm hole about a third of the length of the tube on the freehub side, and a 10mm hole about the same length/depth on the other end, the centre is as you say a restriction with a hole just big enough for a std. QR to slip through. What end caps are on it ?

RustyMac

Did you buy pro 2 EVO adapters for a pro 2 hub?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Looks like I’ve been diddled, then. 12mm adaptors on a std axle.

I could have saved myself half an hour and just changed the end caps to get where I am.

Sigh

trout
    Free Member

It is possible to run a 12 mm drill through the axle if you are careful

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Hmm, that would get me rolling tonight, but must be a weak spot.

Northwind

ScottChegg – Member

Hmm, that would get me rolling tonight, but must be a weak spot.

Well. Yes it will be but that’s exactly how Hope do it, the external dimensions are the same (I think maybe all the axles are cut from the same blanks). So if you do it well it’ll be exactly as weak as an official Hope one.

fivespot
    Free Member

My 12mm axle tube has more metal in the area between the 2 main hub bearings than a std QR tube. Yes they can be drilled out, but will be a fair bit weaker. You may get away with it if you use a solid 12mm through axle 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 12mm problem’ is closed to new replies.