Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Hope or Chris King?
  • palmer77
    Free Member

Hey,

I recently fitted a Cane Creek Tank Jump on a second hand Chameleon with 2003 Marzocchi Z1 Drop Off with ETA travel lock-out. The ETA control lever hits the underside of the frame on full lock. Now I’m not known for my bar-spins or tail whips, but I am concerned that if I were to crash the ETA control may be damaged. I’ve unscrewed this and taken it off at the moment but also want to change the headset as it is showing some signs of wear.

The Cane Creek headset has a 12.8mm bottom stack height. My question is this, if I replace this with a Hope headset which has a bottom stack height of 14.1mm will this solve the problem?

Additionally I want to get a headset that will be reasonably good for the next two or three years. Would you recommend the Hope over the Chris King? The CK has a bottom stack height of 13.7mm but at £100.00 instead of £60.00 for the Hope one I’m undecided which to go for.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Are you a spam robot?

palmer77
    Free Member

Yes I am 🙂

shortcut

Get a fit and forget King.

br
    Free Member

Hope, no discussion at that price.

ferrit32
    Free Member

Hope for me, I acknowledge that CK have a reputation for fit and forget but that said I have yet to have any major problems with Hope headsets.

The fact they are also a lot cheaper pushes the right button with me and I also like that they are made just down the road. By purchasing a home made product I feelI am doing my bit to keep someone from the UK (and in particular Lancashire) in work. If Hope make an item I will look to them before anyone else, the only exception being seatposts as these are relatively new on the market and I dont need a replacement just yet.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The Cane Creek headset has a 12.8mm bottom stack height. My question is this, if I replace this with a Hope headset which has a bottom stack height of 14.1mm will this solve the problem?

Will 1,3mm more clearance solve the problem? Don’t think anyone oher than you can know.

amplebrew

I’ve got a CK on my Obed and a Hope on my RC200.

I can’t tell any difference in quality to be honest and would probably stick with Hope in future.

Both have been reliable, trouble free and what you could call fit and forget parts.

I have had cause to have to contact Hope for spares, albeit for my brakes; and they were really great to deal with and got a part to me in 24hrs.

I haven’t had to contact CK for anything, but I would imagine that they wouldn’t be as easy to deal with as Hope; if only for the distance and time difference.

mttm
    Free Member

Get the Hope – if it doesn’t fix the problem as standard, Hope also do various thicknesses of crown race to allow you to adjust the clearance.

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

Buy British, keep british people in work 🙂

palmer77
    Free Member

Hey, thanks for all the replies. I’d kinda made my mind up on the Hope anyway. Good to hear that people have got on OK with them though as there are some negative reviews on CRC.

Regarding the extra 1.3mm and as to whether it will make any difference, I thought size always made a differnce 🙂

speaker2animals

Never had a problem with any Hope products including 2 headsets (different bikes not replacements). Buy British and keep most of the money in the UK.

palmer77
    Free Member

Just ordered 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

good choice

palmer77
    Free Member

So the Hope headset turned up today, looks good! I’ll find out tomorrow if it does the job 🙂

timothius
    Free Member

No problems with my Hope headset so far. The Hope Head doctor was a bit of a pain though…

palmer77
    Free Member

I have a Hed-Lock so most likely won’t use the Head Doctor.

Lionheart
    Free Member

We used to use the old Hope headsets, still needed to change bearings from time to time which was a hassle in those, so when the new headset appeared with drop put bearings, I thought great, but I can not come to terms with the openness underneath! Does any one else think the openness on the underside of the Hope is not good?

And has any one tried a Cane Creek S8 or 100?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Good on you for buying Hope. They are a great company to deal with.

Saying that, I do have a CK headset. It’s on its third frame. 😀

palmer77
    Free Member

So the bike shop has fitted the headset and the logo is upside down. Has he put the upper and lower stack the wrong way around?

scotia
    Free Member

what did the shop say?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

So the bike shop has fitted the headset and the logo is upside down. Has he put the upper and lower stack the wrong way around?

No; the logo is supposed to be unreadable.

yetiguy
    Free Member

king – no contest

palmer77
    Free Member

Is that irony so early in the day? The guy said he just put it on as it cam e out of the box. Just taken it back to swap it around 😕

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Hope or Chris King?’ is closed to new replies.