Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Hope Bulb rear hub – any experts?
  • theotherjonv

I was just in the garage taking the cassette off my Bulb hub, and without realising managed to pull the freehub and the axle spacer off at the same time. Apart from a panicky 5 minutes looking for one of the pawls I think I've got all the bits back, but I can't find a decent diagram on the web to check.

The axle is still in the hub, the freehub (+3 pawls and springs) is another part, I've got a seal that sits in a lip on the hub itself, and the axle spacer. Is that it? I ask because I can only find diagrams / videos for Pro II and XC and they suggest there's a washer or spacer that sits under the freehub. But is that different on the Bulb? Anyone?

coatesy
    Free Member

Sounds like you've got everything there, useful tip for assembly is to slide the seal back on the freehub body so it sits above the pawls and holds them in place whilst you slide the assembly in.

theotherjonv

Thanks. That's tonight's task sorted then.

Oh! Just thought of another question. I read somewhere last night that normal grease is too sticky for hubs. Do Hope do a special sort? I've had normal in there over the winter without any problems mind.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Normal grease is fine, just done use to much of it. It will sound alot quieter at first but will get gradually louder as all the grease gets thinned/worn? out

coatesy
    Free Member

Hope use Mobil 222, an EP(extreme pressure)grease, quite sticky in itself, I usually use Castrol Spheerol EP2 myself, designed for the pressures encountered and more easily available in sensible quantities.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Hope Bulb rear hub – any experts?’ is closed to new replies.