Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hope Bulb Front QR bearing change
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

So it's dead easy except I can't get the end caps off, how best to do that anyone?

Jay
    Free Member

You need to unscrew one of them to get the adaptor out.

johnners
    Free Member

5mm allen keys if I remember correctly.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Can't see any Allen bolts

It's that but I can't get item 4 off now way to get under it and lever it off I'm flummoxed. It sits flush with the hub body at both ends.

coatesy
    Free Member

Not bolts, 5mm key into each end of the axle and unscrew one from the other.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Hooray thanks that worked, only problem now is part number 2 sits flush with the sodding bearings so I can't drift either of them out.

Tried a screwdriver too but it wont do it either.Arrrrggggh…

GaVgAs
    Free Member

you should be able to tap the bearings out from opposite sides,an alloy punch is best,the rubber ring in the middle allows the spacer to move slightly,press the new bearings in using the old ones as protection,(long bolt or threaded bar)dont bosh with a hammer as you will **** them up. 🙄

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have an alloy bar that should fit perhaps I need to come at it with a fresh set of eyes tomorrow.. It seems like I can just about get enough movement in the spacer to get some purchase on the bearing if I angle the drift.
    Will use a suitable socket to gently tap the new ones in.

Thanks to all much appreciated.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

heat the hub with hot water to make it easier.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Just use the drift as a lever against the bearing to push the sleeve down and access the inner race of the bearing on the opposite side. It's easy.
    I run 2 sets of bulbs. I changed bearings on my front hub on the FS in less than 10mins recently.

joolsburger
    Free Member

My concern is that these bearings have been in place for several years. I'm worried that they might fall apart as I'll be using the inner race to force them out. It would be better if I was hitting the outer race with the drift I think. I've stuck some penetrating oil in there and hopefully they will pop out fairly easily tonight.

z1ppy

IME unless they've already fallen apart, they should be fine, but at worst & they do fall apart a local garage will have a bearing puller that will get it out.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Nice one guys really helpful stuff, much appreciated.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hope Bulb Front QR bearing change’ is closed to new replies.