Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Hope bottom bracket. Is it worth the extra cost and replace the bearings,
  • alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Hope bottom bracket.
    Is it worth the extra cost and replace the bearings, instead of buying a SHIMANO or race face one?

killwillforchips
    Free Member

I just replaced a shimano XT unit with one.

Whilst there’s no noticeable difference in performance but the component and machining quality is far better with Hope.

The XT’s bearings sit in a weird plastic carrier which the hope doesn’t, thankfully.

Spin
    Free Member

I like them. They seem to last better. But ultimately they’re just nicer.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

No

Not when you can get an entire XTR BB from Rosebikes for less than the cost of replacing one sides bearings of a hope ceramic BB. I’m moving away from Hope BBs, just as i’ve got rid of their QRs and Seatclamps both of which suck. I like their hubs though.

br
    Free Member

Not when you can get an entire XTR BB from Rosebikes for less than the cost of replacing one sides bearings of a hope ceramic BB. I’m moving away from Hope BBs,

Except the Hope will outlast 3 Shimano BB’s, at least – IME of nearly 4 yrs with a ceramic one

Onzadog
    Free Member

I like the less wasteful approach. New bearings, hopefully less often, than swapping the whole unit.

Spin
    Free Member

just as i’ve got rid of their QRs and Seatclamps both of which suck. I like their hubs though.

What’s better than a hope seatclamp?

martymac

onzadog has a point though, even if the cost is breakeven, there is less wastage involved, im all for that tbh.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I love hope kit but salsa are better for skewers and seat clamps.

Spin
    Free Member

I love hope kit but salsa are better for skewers and seat clamps.

I know that one bad experience does not make a bad product but my salsa seat clamp lasted one ride. It got caught on my shorts and the cam section bent. When this happens on a Hope one the lever just flicks round as the cam can rotate.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Also don’t for get that Hope BB (and most of their kit) comes in shinny Colours for the bike tarts out there!

zippykona

What’s the benefits of ceramic over steel.? I want lovely smooth spin ability .

Northwind

My Salsa seatclamp worked beautifully, until mud, and then not.

Hope costs as much as about 5 XT BBs and doesn’t outlast it. But does look nicer.

Scamper
    Free Member

By a cheap xt bb off rose bikes, and you can buy a few for the cost of a hope for a few years biking. Less initial cash outlay too.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

The ceramic bearings are pointless as the ceramic balls run in stainless races.

Stick with normal stainless units.

br
    Free Member

The ceramic bearings are pointless as the ceramic balls run in stainless races.

And your point is?

Like I said, coming up to my 4th year with Hope ceramic and on original bearings – and done over 2500kms so far this year, to give you an idea of longetivity.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They outlast shimano to the point they are cheaper and with less time replacing.

chiefgrooveguru

If one Hope BB lasts as long as 5 XT BBs, how much time do you waste changing those other 4?

jam-bo

It’s dead simple and cheap to replace the bearing in XT bb’s.

Northwind

chiefgrooveguru – Member

If one Hope BB lasts as long as 5 XT BBs, how much time do you waste changing those other 4?

Couple of minutes. I’ll survive.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    “chiefgrooveguru – Member
    If one Hope BB lasts as long as 5 XT BBs, how much time do you waste changing those other 4?”

Couple of minutes. I’ll survive.
    Change 4 BB’s in 2 minutes! Not bad going. My last BB Failure was going round Llandegla about 2 years ago had to limp back cursing how crap it was as it had failed so quickly. Replaced with a Hope SS then and never touched. Less failures = less f’in about = less anger and less rubbish.

Northwind

It’s basically 5 bolts, takes as long to find the tools as it does to change a BB. Not sure why anyone would find it a hardship?

Meantime, I pay £12 for a BB, so the remaining £45 or so can stay in my pocket til I need a new one. That adds up, over 6 bikes…

somafunk

You can replace Shimano BB bearings with Enduro bearings if you don’t want to splash out for a Hope BB.

I use a Hope ceramic, i expect it will last a good few years of use if my other Hope unit is anything to go by which is a bargain as far as i’m concerned.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not sure why anyone would find it a hardship?

Not a hardship more a PITA. I have to go to a shop buy/order from the internet, clean bike, remove everything, clean threads, grease threads, fit BB, dispose of BB, reset the chain device position, replace cranks deal with getting the tension right in the BB end cap and then it’s done. I’ve not had to do that for a long time now. If you don’t have the tools/space/time then it’s a LBS job and not 18quid from rose when you add on labour etc. I was on a road trip when mine last went and the guys fitted the Hope for free.

Northwind

somafunk – Member

You can replace Shimano BB bearings with Enduro bearings if you don’t want to splash out for a Hope BB.

They’re pish, mind. But yeah, it’s an option.

somafunk

Do you mean shimano bearings are pish?, or enduro bearings are pish?.

Northwind

Enduro ones… Mine lasted no time at all- actually worse than the cheapo Deore BB I replaced it with, and that was pretty bad itself. Unimpressed.

somafunk

Are you sure you fitted them correctly?, is your BB faced?, was the bearing cup seat clean?, cranks fitted correctly?, we use them in the shop to replace just about every standard bearing on a bike (BB’s/hubs/headsets/suspension linkages etc) and we’ve yet to have a failed Enduro bearing, hard to believe their bearings failed but i guess it may be possible.

Did you return the bearings to them for inspection?.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    Just purchased a hope ceramic bearing bb on eBay .

br
    Free Member

Good man, and make sure you fit it correctly – don’t overtighten either the BB or crank preload.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Good man, and make sure you fit it correctly – don’t overtighten either the BB or crank preload.

Thanks for the tip 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Hope bottom bracket. Is it worth the extra cost and replace the bearings,’ is closed to new replies.