Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hope BBs Steel vs Ceramic
  • TimCotic
    Free Member

Was wondering if any of you have tried both stainless and ceramic versions, and what your views are?

I’ve had my Hope stainless external bb on 3 (strike that – four!)different bikes since Feb 2008 and it’s still going strong. Before that, I used to kill BBs on a regular basis. Has anyone tried and compared the Stainless Steel and the Ceramic version? Are the Ceramics any better?

curvature
    Free Member

If your stainless has lasted that long it would make me buy the stainless one rather than the ceramic.

I’m in the market for a new one soon that seems a good buy to me.

Sorry I can’t help but your experience has helped me!

TimCotic
    Free Member

Glad to help. Make sure your BB shell is properly ‘faced’ before installing.

ps44
    Free Member

Can you ask again in a year ? Just gone to a ceramic after getting 15 months out of a steel one – and my previous experience was like yours, getting through 3 or 4 a year.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve yet to see proof that facing your BB shell is actually necessary tbh.
    It may also be worth looking at an XT or XTR HT11 BB from rose bikes. I got my XT one from there for about £17 posted.
    Their design has improved somewhat since the early ones. My current one is getting on for 2 years old now, a quick re-grease last month and its still fine.

robsoctane
    Free Member

bump – I’d love to know too! 😉

oldnpastit

I’ve yet to see proof that facing your BB shell is actually necessary tbh.

I’ve got an XT BB on a Swift, which has an Eccentric BB, so presumably nice and parallel. It has survived some pretty nasty conditions. It’s only about 3 months old though; ask me again in the Spring.

EDIT: previously had various HTII BBs on various unfaced frames, all of which disintegrated quickly at the first sign of rain.

Is that scientific enough for you?

Yetiman
    Free Member

I haven’t tried a ceramic BB, but I’ve just replaced the bearings in my Hope SS BB after 2 1/2 years of fairly constant use which is by far the longest I’ve ever had an external BB last for. When the cheap Shimano BB on my hardtail finally dies I think I’ll replace it with a Hope SS one too.

honourablegeorge

When my ones die, I’ll send them back to Hope – they’ll probably repalce them.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I had a santa Cruz Heckler had 3 XT BB’s in the first 6 months then had the frame faced the next XT BB lasted 2 years and is now on another bike with faced frame still going strong another 2 years on.
    Just put a Stainless Hope on my latest bike so sorry no experience of ceramic.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Carbontech ultimate ceramic bb – think thats the name – got a very good write up a wee while ago. Cant vouch for it myself but the review said it did add to straight line speed and held up very well. Sorry thats a bit of a crap answer but could be worth investigating.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Recently went to hope stainless on my winter ss, used to get through several each winter of the shimano ones..

Can’t give any results yet – ask in the spring!

ps. hoping not to do too much to it till then!

br
    Free Member

I ran (and still have on a now unused frame) a SS one for about a year or so. When I built up my current frame I was unsure whether to go SS or Ceramic, and my LBS made up my mind by discounting the Ceramic down to the price of the SS.

Had it two years now and countless miles (riding at least twice a week), still sweet.

No idea though whether its any better, but in my head it is 😮

bigyinn
    Free Member

bigthunder – Member

Carbontech ultimate ceramic bb – think thats the name – got a very good write up a wee while ago. Cant vouch for it myself but the review said it did add to straight line speed and held up very well. Sorry thats a bit of a crap answer but could be worth investigating.
    Bit skeptical about the straight line speed bit, but they have to justify the enormous price tag somehow! (£109, but not listed on their site anymore)

T666DOM

I’ve ran SS and ceramic Hope BB’s both seem to last forever. Both are 1000’s of miles old, had to re-grease them both a couple of times to keep them running smooth.

Ceramic are a touch lighter, maybe spin a little easier but I’ve got to really try and convince myself of this.

bigthunder
    Free Member

109 for a bb is a bit steep!

Northwind

Gusset EXT24… they also come in pretty colours, and the 4 you can buy for the same price will last a lot longer than one Hope.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hope BBs Steel vs Ceramic’ is closed to new replies.