Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Hope and their legendary customer service, again…
  • docrobster
    Free Member

Yesterday morning I was swapping cassettes and took the freehub off my 5 year old pro 2. I noticed one of the pawl springs was broken so emailed hope to ask if I could purchase a replacement set anywhere.
    No reply to the email but guess what arrived in the post this morning…
    As has been said so many times before, hope customer service really is the best!

bikeneil
    Free Member

How did they know your address???

mikehopkins
    Free Member

no way that is amazing…
    is that an unusual occurrence or is it a common thing for HOPE to do?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Hope are well known for giving out spare parts for free….think they did it for my old man.

carlosg
    Free Member

emailed hope to ask if I could purchase a replacement set anywhere

Google = faster than emailing Hope (but obviously more expensive) 😉

I took the Google option and got my hand in my pocket as I needed the pawls too.

Northwind

In related news, my DT freehubs continue to not break 😉 Fixing a fault quickly is good service, not having a fault at all is better.

bwaarp
    Free Member

In other news DT’s cost a **** fortune and have been known to break. 😛

I’d rather have a Chris King anyway.

Northwind

Yeah, that’s why I’ve got a set of Hopes too which keep breaking axles and pawls, DT are a bit spendy 😆 Though, I only paid £250-£300 for the DT-hubbed wheelsets so that’s OK.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Never broken an axle. Although I do hear maxle-light axles eat Hope hubs because of their design, I think the evo model corrected that.

Northwind

Just maxles in general, the 12mm axles are paper-thin. The tapered Maxle lite does them faster but my bikes have full-fat spindles and still snap them 🙁

Evo internals do fix it- so it’d be nice if they’d at least give me a discount for a set of those, instead of sending me replacement axles that snap. Ah well.

patriotpro
    Free Member

That’s good service.

Bit different to my experience:

I asked if they would swap a rotor (SP-AM4 type) as i’d realised i only really needed a 180mm as opposed to the 203 that came with my Hope Hoops.

Admittedly i’d had the rotor 18 months old and had been used but was in excellent condition.

Not too impressed with my particular experience tbh.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I asked if they would swap a rotor (SP-AM4 type) as i’d realised i only really needed a 180mm as opposed to the 203 that came with my Hope Hoops.

Admittedly i’d had the rotor 18 months old and had been used but was in excellent condition.

Not too impressed with my particular experience tbh.

You use a part for 18 months, then ‘suddenly’ realise you need a different one, and expect the company to swap it for a new one for free?
    Crap troll.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Crispedwheel – I wouldn’t have had I not seen all the Hope ‘spunk-slurping’ about their service on here in the past.

Because of what i’d read on here I thought i’d give it a go and I was knocked back. No biggy like, just sharing an ‘experience’.

If that’s ok wi you boss…

Northwind

Na, seriously, I’m not the biggest Hope fan as you can tell but what company would have said anything but no to that?

Junkyard
    Free Member

why on earth would you expect them to do that ?
    I wanted longer travel forks …do you know what fox said after 18 mths use ? etc

enfht
    Free Member

Great service yes but Hope wouldn’t survive without it because their reliability is generally poor IME.

smiff
    Free Member

Hope are like Father Christmas.
    edit: lot more replies above so this doesn’t make sense.

patriotpro
    Free Member

NW – I’ve read much more unbelievable stories about Hope’s customer service on these here forums before several times.

Junkyard – that’s a wreckless analogy by any stretch of the imagination. I welcome you to show me a thread that praises the cust’service of Fox all the same though…

davosaurusrex

patriotpro – so you read some shit on a forum that led you to believe a firm would exchange an 18 month old rotor for a new one, not even due to a fault but because you wanted a different size, they said ‘no’ and as a result you’re ‘not too impressed’? Get a grip FFS man.

patriotpro
    Free Member

davosaurusrex – Have a gold star, you can read:-)

And regards getting a grip, do Hope do them?

davosaurusrex

I have just done a shit in a brown paper bag. It really stinks. Would you care to exchange it for a crisp twenty pound note? I must warn you I won’t be too impressed if you decline my generous offer.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no idea about the grips , would they swap them for something i dont want but I have used 😛
    Glad you can see it is daft for fox now take a deep breath and generalise the principle to all bike parts from all manufacturers even hope.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Well…my eight year old M4s are doing great on the missus’s bike. Try keeping a SRAM/Shimano brake running that long with minimal maintenance.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Ok done, now will you stop talking bollocks?

pitduck
    Free Member

(Try keeping a SRAM/Shimano brake running that long with minimal maintenance.) 2002 deore ,still endo on them 8)

docrobster
    Free Member

1) they knew my address cos I told them it in my email
    2) not sure how googling an online supplier and buying the part would have been quicker than next day delivery of the springs but I appreciate I could have done that, chose to email hope instead
    3) hub still works fine. Was an incidental finding as I had the free hub off to clean it up. First time I’ve had the free hub off since the wheel was bought in 2007 so who knows how long the spring has been broken.
    4) Other hubs may be betterer, that wasn’t what the thread was about, just that I was really chuffed to have received top notch support and wanted to share it

docrobster
    Free Member

1) they knew my address cos I told them it in my email
    2) not sure how googling an online supplier and buying the part would have been quicker than next day delivery of the springs but I appreciate I could have done that, chose to email hope instead
    3) hub still works fine. Was an incidental finding as I had the free hub off to clean it up. First time I’ve had the free hub off since the wheel was bought in 2007 so who knows how long the spring has been broken.
    4) Other hubs may be betterer, that wasn’t what the thread was about, just that I was really chuffed to have received top notch support and wanted to share it

I emailed Hope to ask if they could make a custom floating rotor for my Rohloff hub to match the ones I use on my front and SS rear wheels.
    They said they can’t do custom one off items.
    Quite frankly, I was appalled at their level of customer service in this instance and sulked for the rest of the day.

It still grieves me now, every time I look at that dull, plain steel rear rotor and think of what might have been if only Hope realised just how important it is to me to have the most niche components possible on my bike.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What if they offer to make you one but polish it with crustacean shells and buff it with hide 😉

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Hope and their legendary customer service, again…’ is closed to new replies.