Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • honda civic 2.2 cdti or mk5 golf 2.0tdi opinions please
  • renton
    Free Member

we are looking at a new car to replace our c max and have narrowed it down to either a civc or a mk5 golf diesel.

do any of you on here drive either of them and if so can you give me your views on how they drive etc.

any potential problems to look out for.

budget is around £7000 – £8000 so probably 07 or 57 plate.

cheers

steve

renton
    Free Member

anyone????????

jwr

My comments are on this thread.

-j

Dino
    Free Member

Hi,
    Driven both as old company had these as company cars and the honda is a good car esp on motorway
    golf power delivery a bit more linear compered to the honda
    (a little all or nothing)
    the buld quality is shite on the golf
    Trust me i currently drive MK5 GTI and its cheap plastic heaven,
    even though its the highline with toys/ leather etc..
    So for me:
    every day run about and you do a fair few miles then the honda,
    if you like grey plastic, but better re-sale buy the golf.
    😛

takisawa2

Driven both as pool cars for few days.
    Honda had great handling, but engine a bit rough. Considering its a 2.2 expected a bit more oomph. Tardis like, given its small external dims it had plenty of room inside. Av about 43mpg.
    Golf had nicer engine, better quality cabin. Av about 48mpg.

If it were someone elses money I’d go for the Honda, if it were my money then the Golf.

Had a petrol engined Civic for 3 years, and now got a VAG car with the 2.0TDI engine in it.

Civic was well built and 100% reliable in the 3 years I had it. Honda customer service was great. Would have another Civic in a beat if they made something a bit quicker than the Type-S/Si but more economical than the Type R.

The VW diesel engine is good, plenty of torque for overtaking, etc. But the quoted fuel consumption of 53.3mpg is a bit optimistic (I average around 40mpg and the best it has returned on a run to Surrey from Bournemouth was 47mpg). Good competent engine, just don’t expect to get excited when driving it.

molgrips
    Free Member

(I average around 40mpg and the best it has returned on a run to Surrey from Bournemouth was 47mpg

It’ll do more than that. I get between 48 and 55 from my 2.0 Passat auto.

jp-t853

I have had a 2.2 CDTi Accord and a VW Golf 2.0TDi as company cars and would rate as follows.

Engine smile factor – Honda (drives like a mix between petrol & Derv)
    Fuel consumption – Golf (i got high 40’s when on garden leave the fastest car in the world is a company car whilst on garden leave)
    Build quality – Honda, Honda, Honda every day of the week.
    Other notes: may have just been my car but the Golf could not drive through standing water and I do a lot of that.

Both are great cars however.

Drac

Had Mk V Golfs and currently have Mk VI they’re excellent and not one of them has missed a heart beat, developed a squeak, rattle or a single bulb gone.

I’ve been in Hondas as a passenger and as looking at getting one, the interior as I’ve said many times on here is like a fisher price car, cheap horrible plastic and switches. Ride was ok but no great and engine felt horrible.

Colleague at work has a Golf Mk V then switched to Civic as the price was better, he’s regretted ever since and has a Gold on order now.

molgrips
    Free Member

I loved the honda I test drove but have not driven a MkV Golf so can’t compare. Only reason I didn’t get a Honda was there were non available in the price range with the spec I wanted at that specific point in time.

It’ll do more than that. I get between 48 and 55 from my 2.0 Passat auto.

Jeez, are you an OAP molgrips? 😉

Used to get around 39mpg out of my manual 2.0 Passat

molgrips
    Free Member

No, I just stick to the speed limits and know how to drive smoothly and efficiently 🙂

Goes down to 46 ish if I do 80. I don’t do much town driving, but even on a series of urban runs I can beat 40mpg.

timc
    Free Member

Id drive slow if I had to suffer the wallow of a passat

ibis
    Free Member

ibis
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Id drive slow if I had to suffer the wallow of a passat

Funnily enough most cars usually don’t wallow much on the motorway.

warton
    Free Member

7-8k for a 07? doubt you’ll get much for your money for either car

EDIT: I have Honda Civic, cracking car

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘honda civic 2.2 cdti or mk5 golf 2.0tdi opinions please’ is closed to new replies.