Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Home Media Centre setup tips for a dummy
  • Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Hi, looking for suggestions on which directions to investigate.

At the moment we have a mac mini under the tv which is connected to the tv and a standard monitor on a desk a few meters away as a two screen set up. We use the computer for general stuff (stw, Facebook etc.), to play music and films through the TV, and with a webcam to Skype people as the supersize picture on the TV is good for our toddler.

We’ve just setup an office in another room so the computer and tv will need to be separated. I need a solution for music and films through the tv and ideally Skype.

– Apple tv is cheap and should do the music ok, how does it go with movie formats?
    – A PS3 could be an option, is the media streaming any good. Any chance it will work with Skype?
    – Possibly a “smart tv” could do at least everything apple tv could. I’m not desperate to buy a new tv but if it ticks the boxes I could be persuaded.
    – Maybe my best option is a second mac mini for the office, and keep our current setup for the tv.

Any comments or obvious options I have missed?

Thanks

alfabus
    Free Member

most bluray players will have the same functionality as ‘smart tvs’ in terms of streaming… look into them if you don’t need to change the telly.

Dave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Home Media Centre setup tips for a dummy’ is closed to new replies.