Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Home made work bench?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Anyone got tips on building a cheap, but solid, workbench? Argos sell one with a tool board for abotu £60, but that's gotta be pretty shonky.

steveh

Mines just some 4 x 2 timbers to make a frame and then piece of kitchen worksurface on top. The base is 4 legs with horizontal braces at low level and diagonal bracing across them and front to back to hold the 2 frames together.

tinribz
    Free Member

These come out really sturdy, made mine taller and wider with extra legs and a better top.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20xl.html

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

thanks tinribz, love the name of that site

qwerty
    Free Member
    tang
    Free Member
    LoCo
    Free Member

The clarke one qwerty has a picture of above is pretty good for the cash, i've got one in my home workshop, I have replaced the back board and two tops with thicker marine ply though as the MDF stuff that came with didn't like engine oil much!

br
    Free Member

build your own, from 2*4's and kitchen worktops

mickasaki
    Free Member

Have a look on the Sealey tools site, they are doing a good deal at the moment in their new years sale, £170 off a bench with backboard and roller draws. But, I'm building myself a bench tomorrow, i'll show you when i'm done!

nickjb
    Free Member

Mine is kitchen worktop. You could get some from a skip or ikea sell lengths with a few chips for £10.

project
    Free Member

I`ll build you one if you live near chester,

HTTP404
    Free Member

I have the Argos one and it looks identical to the Clarkes one pictured in every respect (excluding colour) but including price.
    The Argos reviews are all good for that workbench.
    It's not shonky at all.
    The only bad point I'd say is the peg board is a little flimsy BUT the pegs are awful.

But overall its been a good buy for me.

DezB
    Free Member

Mine's just a bit of ply, some legs and a baton fixing it to the wall. Sturdy (and cheap!) as anything. Sturdy enough to hold my giant vice anyway. Why pay more?
    Search for the "show me your workshop" thread for a pic!

mickasaki
    Free Member

HERE! If this link works its worth a look!

chrispy

Has anyone tried putting a vice on the clarkes/Argos workbench? Just wondering if the worktop is strong enough.

LoCo
    Free Member

no that's why I put the marine ply on it too, the sealey, clarke and argos ones are the same thing.
    And have another heavy duty bench made out of fence post legs and half a heavy weight door for the top for my monster vice.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I built my own.

Wood was cut to size at the DIY store and most joints use coach bolts.

Instructions here:

Click for bigger

Rubbish picture:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Home made work bench?’ is closed to new replies.