Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Holmsley in the New Forest – Anyone been?
  • sputnik
    Free Member

I am going to camp with my ife and son at the Forestry Commission site at Holmsley. It looks like a nice place, but has any of you been and what is it like? Will be taking the bicycles with, so would like to know where to ride around there as well as what other things to do in the area. Since it is not far from the sea I would also appreciate a pointer to a nice beach.

sputnik
    Free Member

No response yet and leaving Thursday so I am bumping this, with a bit of luck might get a reply today 🙂

jimmers
    Free Member

Beech Quieter than Bournemouth and you can either park up in Mudeford and get the ferry or park by Hengistbury Head (to the west) and play gold on the pitch 'n' putt on the way.

Cycling: Any where NE of where you are camping. Park up at Brockenhurst and use that as a base for exploring.

Steelsreal

I have stayed their many times. It is basically an old WW2 airfield so there as large swoopy tarmac roads and lots of grassy areas on which to pitch. NO squares and pitches, just pitch where you can, although they do limit numbers so ther is always enough room.

Facilities re good, two toilet blocks and a shop with a take away. Not far from Burley by bike which has pubs etc. Beech wise you are not far from Milford on see, lymington on the river etc. LOts of fireroads that go wherever you want, odd cheeky bit here and there but plenty to see and do. Think you can get a cycle map from the office when you check in that lists the fireroads etc.

just dont expect too much on the riding front…

jfeb
    Free Member

I was there two weeks ago. Massive site but it has a few more "tucked away" areas which are quieter than the "fields" which resemble a music festival. You can heard some (reasonably distant) traffic noise from the A35 and I did notice a few planes landing/taking off from Bournemouth airport. But Mudeford beaches are only 15-20 mins away (rather than the 5 mins they claim!) and you are right in the New Forest. I didn't do any riding there so I can't comment on that.

Avon beach (nr Mudeford Quay) is nice with decent coffee place/cafe/shop (plus a life guard if you/kids fancy a dip!)

gusamc
    Free Member

*Check campsite facilities, as some don't have showers/toilets.

Anyway, find Brockenhurst, New Milton and Lyndhurst – there's an ex railway between with various paths leading off, I've done BH to RW. *Note that this no longer legal and frankly speaking the forest for qwits have gone off one one with restrictive access. (Cycle shops will have current maps).
    For family cycle Brockenhurst is a good strat – you can nearly get to Beauliue off road. They have cunningly created several unjoined sets of cycle trails Linwood, Burley Lodge, Brockenhusrt LHS A337, Brockenhurst RHS A337 – biggest concentration of ty is RHS A337 toards BEALiue. (Rhinefield Ornamental Drive and Bolderwood Arbortereum Drive nearly join the areas.

If you're an early bird (6/7 am and check seasonal restrictions as you're banned in mid summer and possibly certain hours) you can ride the prom (along sea front at beach level) from Hengishtbury head (RHS of BMOUTH when facing map) to Poole – great kiddie cycle, BUT gets VERY busy after 9ish with dogs, pillocks, pensoiners, people who should no longer be wearing lycra etc etc but cafes are open etc..
    )

If you want a quiteish but stoney beach (little bits of sand) for a walk anbd a cafe overlooking IOW – Bbarton on Sea – lhsish

sputnik
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info guys, sounds good. Now if only the sun will shine for the next 5 days…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Holmsley in the New Forest – Anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.