Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hollowtech II – different pre-load cap sizes?
  • mrnmissespanda

I am not sure if I am missing something obvious, but did/does Hollowtech II have different diameters for the little plastic cap that you screw in the non-drive side, to pull together the cranks?

cheers

panda

wwaswas

some of the road ones do, irrc, not sure with the mtb ones.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Yes it does, well did: Hone and LX had one with a smaller diameter thread than the others. Last time I bought a spare for my hone crank it was listed as being for LX. Tool to fasten it up is the same for both sizes however.

honourablegeorge

Used a Dura-Ace on SLX cranks for years. Hone cranks have a smaller cap, and the last generation of XTR were different too.

mrnmissespanda

Cheers all,

Least I wasn’t going mad.

Panda

baznav73
    Free Member

Two different sizes for different axle materials larger one for steel axles smaller one for alloy axles, the larger one has the hole for the tool going right through the smaller one doesn’t.

njee20
    Free Member

the larger one has the hole for the tool going right through the smaller one doesn’t.

Not quite true, road ones don’t have the hole.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Anyone know where to get the old small one for lx/hone? I damaged mine nave been riding without for a while, bike’s likely to explode at any moment!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hollowtech II – different pre-load cap sizes?’ is closed to new replies.