Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hollowtech II BB- removal+refitting
  • spacemonkey

Haven’t done a BB replacement for yonks, so which tool combo is best?

Ta

TooTall
    Free Member

A bottom bracket tool usualy starts things off well.

That and an allen key.

A large torch and some sticky tape if you have them.

rOcKeTdOg

Make sure you get a left handed BB handled tool 😉

stevede
    Free Member

Lol, helpful bunch! You’ll need any hollowtech 11 spanner which sits in the grooves of the bb cups, before that though you’ll need an allen key to remove the non drive side crank arm along with a tool to remove the pre load cap – this normally comes with the ht11 spanner. Remember the non drive side bb cup is a right hand thread and the drive side is left hand thread (opposite to your pedals). Also when refitting the pre load cap only needs to go on hand tight.

spacemonkey

I was being a knobber and thinking about the need for a crank puller. Doh. I’ll go away now.

mr_mills
    Free Member

stevede – Member

Lol, helpful bunch! You’ll need any hollowtech 11 spanner which sits in the grooves of the bb cups, before that ………..

You can’t go around giving people actual proper advice on here! Go and stand in the corner and think about what you’ve done.

stevede
    Free Member

Sometimes need a soft faced hammer to knock the axle/drive side arm through if they’ve been on for a while but definately not a puller! A bit of copper slip/grease on the threads of the bb should stop any creaking too.

spacemonkey

Cheers guys (well, mainly Steve).

I remember what to do now. No idea why I was thinking of a puller – harking back to pre-HT II days.

bruneep

A hollowtech 11?………… An eleven!!! the last one I bought was a hollowtech 2. What makes the 11 better than the 2?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

9 things

stevede
    Free Member

mr_mills – i’ve been in the corner since your post, am i allowed out yet? I’ve realised the error of my ways 😳
    bruneep – yeah ht2, pro2 i’ve seen them both with 11, i guess if you add them together you get the same result. I’m sure the OP got what he needed from the thread.

highclimber
    Free Member

some PVA glue, sticky-backed plastic, a washing up liquid bottle and a pair of scissors (ask for adult assistance with these).

mr_mills
    Free Member

mr_mills – i’ve been in the corner since your post, am i allowed out yet? I’ve realised the error of my ways

Ohhhh come on then. But no more sensible advice ok?!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Against all that is common in STW – here is some useful advice (maybe).

There are 3 types of tools:
    1: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42809
    2: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-btl-27-bracketgrip-bottom-bracket-tool/
    3: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42808

Their usefulness goes ime (somewhat limited experience to be fair) from type number one downwards especially if the BB is stubborn.

#Edit – I got types 2 and 3 in the tools box and got so f’ing fed up with them that I got a type 1. Not that particular one mind – it’s a brand X I think, but full “circle”, includes lever.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

To contradict the last poster, I’ve had a Park for years but bought an Ice Tools thing because I’d rounded off the plastic ‘take up the tension on the bearing with the little plastic cap’ bit. – and I much prefer it : Ice Tools. Cheap too. I use with a breaker bar and a socket allen key. Gives a stack of leverage so you can focus on holding it onto the splines. Sure it’s a smaller breaker bar than that but i find it’s much more useful than a ratchet a lot of the time.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Simon – that Ice toolz one is the exact one I have! And hate it. Mine slips off the splines easily when even when the BB is remotely stubborn.

We’re all different eh!

As for stripping the plastic cap bit – you know that the torque for that is recommended at something like 4in”f. ie barely finger tight?

jester
    Free Member

I just bought a park tool and it worked great, only used it once though.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

As for stripping the plastic cap bit – you know that the torque for that is recommended at something like 4in”f. ie barely finger tight?

Absolutely -pretty sure it got damaged trying to remove a plastic cap without first loosened the pinch bolts (d’oh)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hollowtech II BB- removal+refitting’ is closed to new replies.