• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by eskay.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Holidays in Jamaica – any knowledge?
  • Moses

Mrs M has a big birthday coming up later this year, so would like to be taken away somewhere exotic. She’s suggesting Jamaica.
    Has anyone any knowledge of holidaying there? It it fun? Expensive? I’m not expecting to do any riding.

Nobby

It’s no more expensive than the majority of the Caribbean. FWIW, out of the few islands I’ve been to, it’s the one where I felt the least safe when out & about from the resort (which had armed security guards). That’s a few years ago so things may well have changed.

Preferred Barbados, Antigua and St Lucia – even Cuba, if you want something a bit different from the Caribbean ‘norm’.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If a man says to you “Follow me I can take you to a weed plantation”, don’t do it.

enfht
    Free Member

Yeah Man, I love JM. Had my 4th visit in June. Much more fun than Barbados imo. Excursions do cost a bit but are well worth it. Jamaicans get a bad press in the UK but are very warm and friendly bunch in reality.

Definitely do it. Ire Ites.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Are you planning this so that you can tell a bad joke in the future ?

theotherjonv

My brother in law is Antiguan; met my sister when she was working over there and they’ve subsequently moved back (in her case) to the UK so my niece can go to school in the UK.

When they go back, they do a bit of time on Antigua for seeing friends and relations, and then go on to St Lucia. That’s his recommendation……

br
    Free Member

tbh I’d rather go somewhere a bit safer (with kids too); been a few times to Barbados and never had a problem.

P-Jay
    Free Member

“I took my Wife to the Caribbean for a Holiday once”

“Jamaica?”

“No, She came of her own accord”.

theotherjonv

How the other half live….

We go on holiday to Poole.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’m from Poole Jamaica is much better

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have been a couple of times and stayed in Negril as we stayed with friends who live there. I felt safe all the time in that resort and apart from a little hassle on the beach for the usual trinkets/hair braiding etc I found it a fun place. I was out late at night in the beach clubs and walking around on my own and again no problem. I went on my own on buses, ate at various barrel based BBQ places off the beaten track and did a fair bit of walking and exploring by car, I found the people warn, friendly and relaxed.

I preferred Barbados but only because I was in a five star resort with all the trimmings but as an Island I liked Jamaica a lot. (also the scuba diving is far more natural and interesting in Jamaica)

therag
    Free Member

Plenty of riding in Jamaica, check out last months dirt mag.

theotherjonv

Come on someone, anyone…..

We go on holiday to Poole.

……….

flip
    Free Member

I”m off to Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica tomorrow 🙂

I will report back!

bombjack
    Free Member

Back in the dark times before kids I visited Cuba and Jamaica to get my Caribbean fix, preferred the beaches in Jamaica, the sense of history and just general WTFness of Cuba (i.e. a packet of smokes was cheaper than a bottle of water…)
    TBH there was hassle if you looked for it in both, if you didn’t encourage the sellers / pushers etc then you were left alone. I found Jamaica quite overly American, and not quite what I expected.
    I’d go back to Cuba, glad I saw it before the US gets its mitts on it again. Not sure if I’d want to go back to Jamaica.
    The diving in Jamaica was pretty good though.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlCmQcRPtRg[/video]

kudos100
    Free Member

Amazing place, but you need a local to show you round to get the best of it.

Jamaica is the sort of place that can be magical if you explore the island, but fairly ordinary if you stay in a resort. I haven’t been for years, even though I have family there.

The locals are a friendly bunch and if you avoid certain areas you’ll be fine.

7hz
    Free Member

Centre-parcs? Or just take her up the Oxo Tower.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Jamaica is the sort of place that can be magical if you explore the island, but fairly ordinary if you stay in a resort.

This!
    What’s the point of going to Jamaica,or anywhere, and staying in the resort?

kudos100
    Free Member

What’s the point of going to Jamaica,or anywhere, and staying in the resort?

Because it’s dangerous outside the 5 star hotel 😆

godzilla
    Free Member

We went to JA last month, probably one of the best value holidays I’ve had! Everything I expected it would be, no doubt outside resort was a bit rough but I loved it, we’d certainly go back.
    However if I had the choice I much prefer Thailand but we paid £550 all inclusive and went to Thailand in June.

eskay

We have been twice, once without kids (about 15 years ago) and once with kids (3 years ago).

Both great holidays.

We stayed in Negril both times. The first time we stayed on the West End Road (Negril). A bit out of the way but quite chilled, we stayed in a small room only type place and ate at very small shacks/restaurants.

Recently we went back with the kids and decided all inclusive was probably a better option with the nippers. We stayed at Rui on the beach at Negril, another fantastic holiday.

I would highly recommend Orane at Antsman Tours (link) if you go. We hired him for a couple of days and gave him a list of all of the places we wanted to visit and he arranged two very memorable days.

There are places to avoid but stick to the tourist areas and you will be fine. Use someone like Orane if you want to explore (much cheaper than hotel/tour operator trips).

The first time we went I ended up playing football and having a few beers with one of the locals I met at his village. A very friendly country and I will go back again at some point.

Avoid Spring Break as it will be full of pissed up American college types!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Holidays in Jamaica – any knowledge?’ is closed to new replies.