Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Fried mashed potato
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Always make a bit too much mash in the evening so you can fry up what’s left with an egg and slap it on a piece of toast. Nom.

wwaswas

Mmmmm, crispy bits 🙂

maccruiskeen

Homefries and an omelette

trail_rat
    Free Member

American hashbrowns get my vote.

That is grated potato fried. – none of this battered tattie we get in the uk.

geoffj

battered tattie

😯 that’s got to be a euphemism or culinary speciality reserved for NE Scotland

wwaswas

battered tattie

the result of a groin/stem interface?

david47
    Free Member

That is grated potato fried

Isn’t that Rosti ?

doris5000

yeah it’s a Rosti. which is delicious but i can never be arsed to make – takes too blimmin’ long to fry!

grum
    Free Member

I had what I can only assume was a Scottish speciality at a festival last summer (in Scotland). A very large whole potato cut with some fancy device so it sort of spirals out, stuck on a stick, dipped in batter, deep fried then coated in spicy seasoning, with a load of mayonnaise and chilli sauce. Mmmmm…

northernmatt

Mmmm, Rosti. Takes ages, best cooked in lots of butter.

grum
    Free Member

My friend gets the piss taken out of her for thinking Rosti was a Nepali speciality as she first encountered it there. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

might be rosti dunno …. in californian country diners its called hash browns. on american rigs they call it grits.

Man – i forgot about breakfast biscuits – they were nice – not quite tattie scones but mmm none the less.

far better than what we get in the uk – which i would call a potato fritter(or a battered tattie ;))

tang
    Free Member

I love fried leftover potatoes. My snack of choice when visiting the Punjab is ‘tikki’, a roadside snack. Imagine mash potato/gram flour patti with a spicy chickpea filling, fried golden brown and served with fresh coriander and a hot sweet relish. Then a cup of steaming chai, all from a shack overlooking a Himalayan valley after a long days walk.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I had what I can only assume was a Scottish speciality at a festival last summer (in Scotland). A very large whole potato cut with some fancy device so it sort of spirals out, stuck on a stick, dipped in batter, deep fried then coated in spicy seasoning, with a load of mayonnaise and chilli sauce. Mmmmm…

That sounds awsumz, don’t suppose you remember what it was called?

geoffj

a potato fritter

Same as a potato scallop (in NW England)

Pigface
    Free Member

If you like your mash creamy and buttery it fries horribly, best leave it as plain as possible and in the fridge for a couple of days.

aP
    Free Member

Monday night’s tea when I was small used to be cold cuts of meat (from the Sunday lunch) served with the roast potatoes which had been all mashed up and cooked in an old frying pan and finished off under the grill. You can tell my parents were born in the early 30s…

D0NK

Fried mashed potato

shallow fried? thought they were potato cakes.

MoreCashThanDash

Just add onion and cheese.

Damn, finished my sandwiches and now hungry again.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Shallow fried but all knocked about so the crispy bits are all the way through.
    Hungry again now 🙁

grievoustim
    Free Member

yeah american hash browns are nice – is that how you do them then? Just fry raw grated potato?

I love fried mash – but as above I also like buttery/ milky mash but that limits the crispy bits when you fry it up

I like cooking extra boiled/ new type potato. then cut them up into small chunks and then fry up for breakfast with eggs etc. Or even better use them in a corned beef hash – going to have that for tea tonight and breakfast tomorrow!

wilburt
    Free Member

Chuck everything else in there; peas, sprouts, onion whatever its called bubble and squeak round our house.

I like it nobody else will touch it!

ourmaninthenorth

its called bubble and squeak round our house.

Er, it’s call bubble and squeak round everyone’s house…. 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

Battered tatties

Down here it’s all about smashing yer pastie. Sad but true.

konabunny
    Free Member

might be rosti dunno …. in californian country diners its called hash browns. on american rigs they call it grits.

Grits is corn porridge. You’re doing it wrong.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i always thought that too kona bunny but who am i to argue with the chef + he was significantly larger and more african than me.

aP
    Free Member

Grits with biscuits and white gravy…

mogrim

My snack of choice when visiting the Punjab is ‘tikki’, a roadside snack. Imagine mash potato/gram flour patti with a spicy chickpea filling, fried golden brown and served with fresh coriander and a hot sweet relish.

That sounds amazing. And a plan for the weekend. Starving now.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

My grandparents used to cook fried mash in dripping as a supper snack for me when I was about 11. Can taste it still.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Loads of Spuds, Kale, leeks, and Onions form the allotments this year. I make sure I cook more than needed for a Bubble and Squeak fry-up, couple of eggs and some bacon…Food of the Gods!

zilog6128

That has been the standout stall at an annual food festival here (down South) for the last few years except there’s no batter (that is probably the Scottish “twist”), it’s just deep fried. Tastes awesome!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Add some flour and you have a tattie scone, tastes much better than the crap excuses sold in shops, much thicker too.

I think what TR is describing is grits/ hash brown, what we call hash browns here is actually rosti. Dunno, stupid laguage difference.

I have a device for making curly fries that screws down into the potato, think I’m going to make one of these curly monsters at the weekend!

Jakester
    Free Member

Has anyone else made mash and veg specifically for bubble and squeak? It’s a faff, but always worth it!

zilog6128

I have a device for making curly fries that screws down into the potato, think I’m going to make one of these curly monsters at the weekend!

I have one of those but have only used it to make courgette fries (which are amazing) and veggie noodles so far… can’t believe I didn’t make the mental link between the spirally blade attachment (which has remained unused) and the potato-stick thingies! I will also be making these at the weekend now!!

Has anyone else made mash and veg specifically for bubble and squeak? It’s a faff, but always worth it!

No but whenever I make a roast dinner I always do LOADS extra potatoes and veg to make bubble & squeak with the next day. Roast tatties are an even better base than mash cos they start out with crispy bits already!

D0NK

Roast tatties are an even better base than mash cos they start out with crispy bits already!

roast potatoes aren’t a left over item at our house. If there’s still roasties left I’m still eating.

Cougar

Grits is corn porridge. You’re doing it wrong.

Far as I could tell when I made the mistake of ordering it once out of curiosity at a Waffle House, “grits” appeared to be frogspawn cooked in a pan of snot.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ah yeah, those are grits. Never mind…

nemesis
    Free Member

Mash through a ricer and then fry it – very similar to a rosti.

Mind you I don’t particularly like rostis but YMMV…

grievoustim
    Free Member

I’ve never had Grits as such – but apparantly its basically polenta

Grits = US working class food = polenta = uper middle class food

squirrelking
    Free Member

Deep fried mash, possibly triple done, is food of the gods…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Fried mashed potato’ is closed to new replies.