Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Holidaying in Hebden Bridge?
  • teenrat

We’ve been looking for a week long cottage break in September and have found a nice one in Hebden bridge. I;ve been to the dales before, but not this area – whats it like for things to do, see, riding etc. Worth it for a week or should i look elsewhere?

kudos
    Free Member

You could always do a day trip to Morecambe Bay…

(Riding is awesome, Mary Townley Loop crosses the area, you can link up some good sections with rides around Todmorden, Mytholmroid etc)

binners

russianbob
    Free Member

Careful if you’re taking a lady. They like ladies in Hebden.

woody2000

Better for a weekend than a week IMO, I think you’d be bored after a few days! There is riding (obviously!) and walking, but I don’t think there’s enough other stuff to keep you occupied.

Plus in September – high chance of rain I’d say 🙂

Someone will say otherwise I’m sure 😉

grum
    Free Member

I live there and have a lot of free time – not got bored yet. 🙂

Loads of stuff going on plus great riding, walking, shopping. Could be wet in September but it’s been mostly glorious for weeks.

I might even show you round some local trails (only legal ones obvs!) if you do make it here. 🙂

darrenspink
    Free Member

High chance of rain you say?

Not yesterday BTW

hora
    Free Member

A week in Hebden on holiday? Wow. What next weekend breaks to Warrington?

nach
    Free Member

I don’t know HB very well, but it has a cinema and the local trails are indeed excellent. If you get stuck for things to do, Manchester is pretty close on the train.

Esme
    Free Member
    gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I recommend The Olive Branch in Hebden, lovely food. The cinema is great too.

There’s lots of very nice riding along Calderdale, and you might even be able to arrange a visit to STW Towers, hah!

oldboy
    Free Member

Don’t mess with the locals, they’re all related. I lived there for a year and had a brief fling with the wrong (er, someone else’s) girl and was lucky to get out alive.

teenrat

hmmmmm, maybe not then.

cheers for the replies

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

LOADS of stuff to do.

Riding
    Eating
    Drinking
    Doing visitor stuff like Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, stuff in the Dales, Bronte country etc
    City trips to Manchester and Leeds

If I didn’t live around here I reckon I’d be pretty pleased with a week away here. Where else are you thinking about?

wallop

I’m from the West Country and recently went to Hebden for a weekend. Could quite happily have spent a couple more days there. Not sure about a week though.

hora
    Free Member

We camped there- group of blokes + pub. Great for 1-2 nights over a weekend but a week? Pubs will be dead midweek? Unless its Giro day? 😉

Seriously a weekend YES. Passing through on a canal boat? Yes. Its quite nice but still a ex industrial place of work etc.

DBW all those things invole staying in one place but being everywhere else.

If you want the rustic campsite details? (Its on the tops)

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Don’t mess with the locals, they’re all related. I lived there for a year and had a brief fling with the wrong (er, someone else’s) girl and was lucky to get out alive.

I have a husband you know!

paulwebster
    Free Member

Stopped at the camp site next to the new delights pub, great pub,food. used it as our camp to ride gisburn, lee quarry, cannock chase, stain burn,great town lots or beer.

hora
    Free Member

The place with the washing machine drums for fires? Ditto.

paulwebster
    Free Member

Very much so, industrial ones at that.

buck53

all those things invole staying in one place but being everywhere else.

That’s being on holiday, isn’t it? Or must we be bound to the parish we sleep in when traveling away now?

OP if you’re looking for a quiet get away it may not be the right place, it’s positioning itself more of a busy little town three days. That being said you can be away from it all on bike or foot very quickly and, as has been said, there’s a wide variety of stuff within short travel.

sonik
    Free Member

if your there in september, you could have a go at ‘up the buttress’ (no puns) buttress
    and ditto to the campsite mentioned above, nice bloke who runs it!

darrenspink
    Free Member

A few harsh comments really. OP, even though I live close to Hebden I reckon I would fill my time with things to do there. Easy day walking around hardcastle craggs, you could do three full days cycling around the trails, moors and surrounding area along with a trip to Lee Quarry for a day. Pubs one or two days..there you go 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

DBW all those things invole staying in one place but being everywhere else.

Sorry – I must be odd going somewhere on holiday and wanting to see the surrounding area. FFS…

Mark

Holiday advice from hora?
    Any advice from hora come to think of it…
    Hmmm.

Hebden is unique and will make a great place for a holiday. Certainly more to do there and abouts than most remote and quiet places in the Dales. The riding is, of course, excellent and varied. The cinema serves tea in mugs! IN MUGS!

🙂

grum
    Free Member

hora you really do talk some utter shite.

hora
    Free Member

Just as long as you dont start giving bad advice on anything car related.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

used it as our camp to ride gisburn, lee quarry, cannock chase, stain burn,great town lots or beer.

Driving from Hebden to Cannock on holiday? Never sure if it’s worth the stop off from the M6 let alone heading that far.
    What are you going to spend your week doing? There is some good riding around but it’s grim if/when the weather is bad.

grum
    Free Member

Just as long as you dont start giving bad advice on anything car related.

Eh?

hora
    Free Member

grum I thought you were the one who was the driving instructor or butted in on car topics with incorrect advice? Apologies if I’m wrong. A great deal of STW’ers come across that way/similar.

I like Hebden, I’ve even tried to get mrshora to live there. Her reply has always been ‘what would I do there’. Outside of biking its a relaxed looking place but during the week (evenings) its a very quiet place no?

On holiday you tend to roam around, for instance if you were in Kefalonia or Marjoca you’d jump on a motorbike and roam the island.

Although Haworth is nice I most certainly wouldn’t want to roam to Manchester or Leeds. It’d feel like a work commute and a typical English city centre. Halifax? Well I wandered round there as a kid. I wouldn’t want to again.

All these quickly sour when the weather turns bad. Overseas a fairly dull country is vastly overcome by wall to wall daily sun.

grum
    Free Member

grum I thought you were the one who was the driving instructor or butted in on car topics with incorrect advice? Apologies if I’m wrong. A great deal of STW’ers come across that way/similar.

Here we have a perfect example of how wrong hora is about pretty much everything! 🙂

I like Hebden, I’ve even tried to get mrshora to live there. Her reply has always been ‘what would I do there’. Outside of biking its a relaxed looking place but during the week (evenings) its a very quiet place no?

So you like it and you want to move there, but when someone asked about holidaying here you compared it to Warrington? 😕

I guess it’s not mega busy midweek but I wouldn’t say it’s dead either. I guess I you want lively nights out during the week it’s not the place for you. Lot more going on than the vast majority of towns of its size I reckon though.

Yes it’s not great when it pisses it down but the weather’s been lovely here for weeks.

Where is it you live hora?

Pook

Oh you two calm down. You’re like two Daily Mail letters writers frothing at the mutual indignation.

hora
    Free Member

Where is it you live hora?

Well I don’t holiday there and nor would I chose to (or come here to holiday). Its like a well worn pair of shoes, worn daily but I like to visit something shiny and gleaming.

Dave
    Free Member

I’ve even tried to get mrshora to live there. Her reply has always been ‘what would I do there’.

All of Hebden thanks MrsHora…

;o)

hora
    Free Member

Esme – Member
    Especially for Hora

:mrgreen:

Interesting fact. Binners comes from Warrington… lives in Ramsbottom and supports Man Utd

binners

Esme knows this already because she lives down the road from my mum, and myself and the girls popped round when I was back visiting the rentals*

Anyway…. just to echo what everyone else has said… you don’t half talk some shite.

Hebdon is great. And I’m sure you could happily spend a bloody good week there

* When you and your fella coming up for a jaunt round Rammy Esme?

maxtorque

darrenspink
    High chance of rain you say?

Not yesterday BTW

That^^ is absolutely INSANE!!

I mean, 3 black cables and one pink one! What WAS he thinking……..

😉

RustySpanner

Plenty to do in Hebbers.

Live music at the Trades, excellent community theatres in Hebden & Todmorden for a start.

Pubs, caffs and places to eat are numerous and generally really good – Aux Delices in Mytholmriyd is great but pricey, loads of cheaper recommendations, just ask around.
    Olive Branch is good fun and top value.
    Excellent Thai place too.

Stubbins Wharfe pub has storytelling nights on – bit different, but can be really good fun.
    Nice pub too.

Just pray for sunshine!

If it does chuck it down and you fancy a change, you can be in Leeds or Manchester within an hour.

grum
    Free Member

I think my Hebden Bridgeometer just exploded!

https://www.facebook.com/events/343287959152148/

brant
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Holidaying in Hebden Bridge?’ is closed to new replies.