Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Holiday in Cornwall – Worth taking the bike?
  • nim

Hi – Just booked 10 day holiday Cornwall in June with the family & friends.

I haven’t looked into it yet but is it worth taking the bike ie how’s the riding around that part of the world?

Thanks

Dibbs
    Free Member

Nothing brilliant MTBwise.

shellac
    Free Member

Wotcha,

Seem to be going there quite regular at the mo due to family commitments so I aint no local….. but, a paucity of bridleways it seems! Im near Penzance, Lands End etc. Lots of cheeky stuff up on the moors so aint too bad. Lovely section of cliff top bridleway on the lizard, check an OS I cant remember the names, one of the only bits of coastal path you can do, twas in MBR recently so maybe its on their website???? No idea.

Or you could always stop at Gawton on your way down…. which I’m itching to do, if thats your thing!

Depends where in Cornwall….

Cheers
    S

mike_p
    Free Member

I was near Bude (north, near Devon border) last summer. Very few bridleways, tended to have to rely upon disused railways, old canal towpaths and circular rides around reservoirs, some of which were poorly maintained, all of which were stupefying.

Might be worth making the trek to one of the moors… Bodmin, Ex or Dart…

Elsa
    Free Member

There is The Track and Portreath

kernowfornia

Depends where in Cornwall, it’s like me saying “I’m going to Yorkshire, anywhere decent to ride?” 😮
    There are a couple of family friendly trails, Mineral Tramways (a coast to coast!) from Devoran to Portreath and the Camel Trail starting from Wadebridge.
    Network of bridleways around Chacewater (my base: there was an MBR killer loop many years ago that starts within sight of where I’m typing this) with woodsy singletrack at Tehidy Woods and Idless.
    Apparently plenty of stuff (also family friendly) at Cardinham Woods near Bodmin.
    Track is fine if you like jumpy stunty stuff.
    TBH I tend to ride my SS around here but bust out the BLT2 for frequent weekend trips to Dartmoor, Exmoor, Quantocks, S Wales etc.

jam-bo

Checkout the Cornwall freeriders page on facebook if DH is your thing. Rode an awesome DH track on caradon hill on the weekend, or pop over the river and come see us At tavi woodlands or gawton…

crispybacon
    Free Member

It really depends on when you come down & where you are staying but you might like to check out the Cornwall MTB site – link HERE – and in particular the ‘meet sheet’ section. They tend to meet up each week somewhere in Cornwall for a ride & they will know where the best bits are 🙂

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Nothing brilliant MTBwise

slightly negative there dibbs, did you have an unfortunate incident with a gorse bush?

i live in the far west cornwall, and whilst its certainly not the alps this part of the county at least does have its rewards if you are prepared to ride with an open mind.

a little to the east chacewater is possibly the most popular area, but personally i rarely feel the need to stray far from home on the penwith moors above ny house. as shellac has found out, not much on the map, but if you stick your nose down the odd track it does have its rewards. i’m still finding new stuff even after 11 years.

if you are heading to the far west of the county i can give you some routes (my email is on my profile), but its more old school cross country than trail centre.

shellac… nr penzance sections of bridleway on the coast path can be found around gwennap head and up on the north coast around botallack (you can ride a few miles up on the cliffs around there and its always pretty dry).

snaps
    Free Member

Plenty of riding on Dartmoor if its not to far away.

shellac
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up gav, I’ll check it out when Im down next!

Dibbs
    Free Member

slightly negative there dibbs

I can only speak from personal experience, I’m afraid the next time I take a bike down there I’ll probably be a road bike.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Holiday in Cornwall – Worth taking the bike?’ is closed to new replies.