Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Holiday ideas: south scotland/north north england at Easter
  • evh22
    Free Member

Need holiday ideas!
    We want to go away at the end of March for around a week.
    We are happy to ride in bad weather but don’t want it to be too miserable (so no north scotland) or a total bogfest.
    We’d like some big days out and some smaller ones.
    Natural trails but perhaps the odd trail centre would be good for if the weather is grim.
    We like riding in the Lake District, Peak District, Peebles. Would love to go to Torridon but it’s a bit far and the weather won’t be balmy.

Any ideas? Cheviots/borders/somewhere else or just go back to Peebles coz it’s great?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Don’t know where to start ..
    There has been some fantastic work done at Hamsterley trail centre recently ..Just up the road in the North Pennines is a great route “Bolts Law” and if you are travelling up the east side of the country Kielder is also well worth visiting..
    The Cheviots are fantastic / very remote ..but summer would be a better time to visit as a lot of the trails hold water ..then on to the Tweed Valley ..
    I will let someone else give a few ideas for travelling up the west side and The Lake District ..

evh22
    Free Member

Thanks! Think we’d prefer to stay in one or max two places. The cheviots sound boggy!
    Will look at Bolts Law.
    Worth staying a little further south in the borders? Jedburgh I seemed to think had a good chippy.
    We made it a far south as Selkirk but there definitely seemed more to explore in that area.

evh22
    Free Member

Bolt’s law looks great! Not really explored the North Pennines or Kielder much on a bike. Not sure why.

hodgynd
    Free Member

It’s easily overlooked ..
    Hope you try that route ..its a personal favourite ..

evh22
    Free Member

Thanks. Are there others in that area to explore? We pass that way a lot so i’ll definitely add it to the list.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Look for some trails out of Allendale or Whitley Chapel ..get a map and you can’t really go wrong ..

hodgynd
    Free Member

Here is one for you starting at Hexham Racecourse ..there is a cheeky bit in the early part of the ride along the ridgeline path in the woods which you also return on ..so you didn’t get this from me ( it’s also one of the best bits !) 😉
    I’m sharing my #OffRoadBiking trip with you. Total distance 43.7?km, http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/NTM0NjEyMw== . Via @ViewRanger

evh22
    Free Member

Great. Thanks ++

joshvegas
    Free Member

If you come north of the border away from prehistoric land access laws…

Peebles gives you alot of riding choices wild and trailcentre.

Dumfries and Galloway is quieter and also incredibly lovely.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Peebles.

Eggs Benedict in spoons, ride bikes on what must be the most amount of awesome trails condensed anywhere in the UK, then crown hotel for dinner.

And repeat ad nauseum.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Spoons?!

Coltmans for eggs benny.

Nashys in cardrona station for a full scottish.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Eggs Benny?
    I’ll bet you boys are real fun to cycle behind with the wind in yer face .. 😀
    “Prehistoric land access laws “..made me laugh even if it’s true .
    Then again that’s only a limiting factor if you allow it to be .. 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes Josh, spoons. 4 quid for EB and endless coffee.

Coltmans is a bit style over substance for me!.

Trekster

http://www.gmbc.org.uk/wanlock-head-gold-rush-route/

Then there are a couple of rides out of Moffat, one on the Souther Upland Way

We now have an “annual” hike’a bike up Queensberry Hill which includes a mix of forest road, 45min hike followed by an ace descent. Then a bit of Tarmac and into Ae to finish 😆

Weather at end of March may be a bit iffy and it’s Easter this year I think.

Like the Borders trail centres there are a few decent off piste Enduro trails developing @Ae, look on trailforks app. However check for trail closures due to Larch disease clearance…..

hodgynd
    Free Member

Wanlockhead Gold Rush ride …!
    I felt my legs start to wobble when I saw that ..we rode it in the same year as the write up (2010) and it’s a tough one ..I still have pics on my office wall from that day and the authors thoughts probably echoed my own !

kayak23

Dumfries and Galloway is quieter and also incredibly lovely.

True dat.

Trekster

hodgynd – Member
    Wanlockhead Gold Rush ride …!
    I felt my legs start to wobble when I saw that ..we rode it in the same year as the write up (2010) and it’s a tough one ..I still have pics on my office wall from that day and the authors thoughts probably echoed my own !

Certainly is 😆 😆
    Another option we do occasionally is get the train from Dumfries to Sanquhar, then ride back to Dumfries over the same trails but going over the hill at Durisdeer to Ae, or turning left at the top of Wedder Law. You can make this ride as long as you like taking options when you reach Dalveen Pass

tjagain

dumfries and galloway

tjagain

dumfries and galloway

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Holiday ideas: south scotland/north north england at Easter’ is closed to new replies.