Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 195 total)
  • HIT THE NORTH – UNDER THREAT
  • I'm going for a bike race, not a pop concert.
    Cancel the band if the saving means the race goes ahead.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I know what you're saying, we're well aware of the priorities and will make decisions next week.
    We will probably do the winter race once a year though rather than trot out the same thing twice a year.

We'll see where we are next week.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrSparkle

Terra – seen my email?

ourmaninthenorth

Funnily, the winter race worked really well because of the first summerrace, but I suspect that the winter race is now the one people really want.

Indeed, I wonder if the smmer race now seems to some like a bigger version of the winter one, and so has found iself with a slightly odd identity.

Shame, as I think it has the makings of similar levels of fun… 🙂

Bunnyhop

Many friends who would normally race are expecting children. Some are on holiday and the rest are short of cash.

I've done everything I can to push it.

Maybe it'll end up with huge rush at the end.

ourmaninthenorth

Actually, what would be ace would be a short summer series (say, three) of winter sprinter-lite races. Same format – MTB and CX (cos no-one else does that, unless we're talking cross racing but YKWIM). An hour.

Then pints of ale afterwards. 😀

Anyway, fingers crossed this one goes off as planned.

Bunnyhop

I see a few problems here:

1) Most STWers are sad, Billy no mates types, who sit in their little box room/office and are internerd warriors, who don't actually ride a bike.

2) The above who do ride a bike.

May I suggest that – if you would like to join in the race and maybe not run 'solo', that you post up for a couple of strangers to make up a double or a team from this here website.

3) Oh and maybe there are 'others' who are too scared to leave the safety of the beautiful south 😉

We Northerners won't eat you, however we may drink you under the table 🙂

Disclaimer 'Some of the above may not be true' disclaimer

Good move, Bunnyhop, mild goading is sure to work. 😉

Don't forget also, a lot of STWers won't want to enter a race for fear of being beaten by…
    a kid
    an old bloke
    a woman
    worst of all, one of the above on a cheaper bike

Put your money where your carbon is. Enter the race.

miketually
    Free Member

I think they're scared of being beaten by that bloke what came last in the Kielder 100. That'd be well embarrassing.

ourmaninthenorth

miketually – I agree: I think that bloke who came last in the Kielder 100 needs a good beating…. 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

however we may drink you under the table

You may drink more pints than us but that's because yours has to much head(the beer that is) and we get more beer in the glass with our flat southern stuff

Harry_the_Spider

Just been speaking to the guy who runs the beer tent. He wanted to know if you lot were real ale or lager types.

It also gives me another opportunity to post a picture of the bar staff.

DWH
    Free Member

I'm struggling to see what the attraction of a beer tent and a live band is at a bicycle race?

EDIT: I posted this before I'd seen the post above. And I'm still struggling.

Harry_the_Spider

The beer tent went down a storm after the first HtN.

DWH
    Free Member

Horses for courses, I guess.

hora
    Free Member

Well thats solved where to park everyones bikes

Nick

beer is for winners

I'd love to come along, thought the event 2 years ago was the best event I've ever done, had to do most of my drinking on the Friday night, soaking wet from a practice lap as my wife decided she didn't want to camp on the Saturday night.

Gutted I can't do it this year.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks Nick.

That's the point of it. It is an event (we can't call it a race because we use bridleways and a short bit of road 😉 ) for people who don't do races, followed by a massive piss up.

As an added bonus the course is pretty good/tough, so the fast guys will have a real advantage and the drinkers will fall into the beer tent knowing that they've done something hard.

Shame I can't compete. I have to stand around in a high viz vest looking all official. I'll even have a walkie talkie to make me look extra efficient, but it won't be switched on.

derek_starship
    Free Member

HTN = Bike Based Bobby Dazzlement.

The HTN course is on my doorstep and as a result, I've been riding it a lot lately. I can honestly say that it is a brilliantly varied trail with scarey bits, up the berm bits and fast, gravelly, swooping bendy bits. It is a great bit of riding. The apres-riding aspect may not be to everybody's taste but surely nobody will find a band, ace catering and a booze tent offensive?

Please guys and gals, get behind these keen, keen, keen chaps who are endeavouring to make a success of a brilliant MTB event and selflessly dishing up any profit to charity.

Again – my offer of signed photo's of my belly stands.

Oh – I am not an organiser of this event but would happily "lead" another preview ride as I did the last one due to illness/holidays.
    DS

nbt

The course is brilliant. I rode it on the preview, it's proper ace. NIce tight twisty singletrack, out of the saddle fireroad sprints, massive berms, proper bo singletrack with jumps in it, tricky drops into a stream crossing where the local scallies will laugh at you (and maybe nick your bike) if you crash – what's not to like?

and as for the beer tent – how can you go wrong when the event catering isn't "tiny fatty burger and some ****-weak lager" but rather is "pie and peas with lancaster bomber on tap".

My vote goes for bitter, btw Harry

derek_starship
    Free Member

You 2 can keep nbt entertained while I snog it around the course.

Blimey Bunnyhop – have you consulted nbt about this?

nbt

I'm an easygoing kind of chap. give me a beer and I'm happy. Give me two and I'm leathered

Edric64
    Free Member

Is the barmaid on the left the ghost of Jade Goody?

terrahawk
    Free Member

Actually, what would be ace would be a short summer series (say, three) of winter sprinter-lite races.

would you mind awfully if I told you to sod off?

Harry_the_Spider

Is the barmaid on the left the ghost of Jade Goody?

Haunted hooters?

Harry_the_Spider

would you mind awfully if I told you to sod off?

+1

and another +1 from my wife.

Edric64
    Free Member

Haunted hooters?

like vuvuzela's are they ?

Harry_the_Spider

… getting closer but we still need more.

The Chunky Challenge.

As a way of spicing up this event in the absence of a veterans class, I will put up a £10 prize fund to go to the charity of choice of anyone who weighs more than me and completes more laps.

So, come on you Clydesdales, who wants to take on a 47 year old 98kg vegan ? 😛

Terms and conditions.
    The total prize fund is £10. If two or more people complete more laps than me, it gets shared out.
    I'll round the weight limit down to 95kg or over. I'm not taking my bathroom scales with me, I'll take your word for it.
    I've broken two frames in the past two months. With that track record, there's a good chance you'll beat me simply by riding for 8 hours while I'm sat in the pits with my bike in two halves.

Bunnyhop

What bike for HtN?

Nezbo
    Free Member

It's going to maybe the CX bike for me (then again i may come on the MTB)….

nbt

I reckon the race will be won by a crosser.

Harry_the_Spider

It'll be won by the best rider… who will probably be on a cross bike. 😉

tthew

Have you been promoting the event on skinnytyredrophandlebarworld.com, (or whatever the equivalent CX site is called) I'm sure the almost nailed on chance of a trophy for one of those gents would bring a few more out of the woodwork.

nbt

It'll be more fun on an MTB than on a cross bike though. TONS more fun. Riding an MTB will make you beer taste better too, *FACT*

bakey

I'll be bringing one of each.

Just to be on the safe side.

miketually
    Free Member

I don't think the CX bike will be as much of an advantage over the longer time frame.

Harry_the_Spider

I wouldn't fancy the "faster than light" DH section or the jumps on a CX myself. But I do the technical stuff with all the grace of a piano falling down a lift shaft.

miketually
    Free Member

*whisper*
    I might be rocking these at HTN

*/whisper*

(Unless my Ragley frame's ready by then.)

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 195 total)

The topic ‘HIT THE NORTH – UNDER THREAT’ is closed to new replies.