Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • Hit the North – Entry is open
  • Harry_the_Spider

Due to us having to buy an Entertainments License so the brass band can play (yes, really 🙄 , just in case a euphonium explodes or something) we are now going to make the most of it and try to book a Samba band to play at the top of the hideous grass climb.

Our previous idea was to have a sample of Jeremy Paxman shouting “COME ON, GET ON WITH IT!” looped over and over again.

Pook

having not stopped for a pint after I’m determined to this time.

Harry_the_Spider

8:30 in The Church Inn, Prestwich*. They also have rooms and secure bike storage if anybody wants to stay over. The pub is about a mile away if you follow the trails or 3 miles if you are driving.

Those parking at Sedgley Park Rugby Club will have access to their bar (and showers) straight after the event.

*Probably. It usually is.

edhornby

don’t worry I’ll be entering as well as our kid – and tthew is threatening to stay over at our house and come to the pub in the evening

tthew

Oh yeah! And I’m even worse at drinking than Our Kid!

Harry_the_Spider

It was all a bit of a blur/mess for me last time too (the pub bit, not the race).

Lack of sleep, too much coffee, hard graft, pre event nerves and general knackeredness.

In other news. Entries are streaming in at a phenominal rate. Get in fast or miss out.

Harry_the_Spider

Helmet cam footage from near the front of the last race. It shows the first 3rd of the lap before the lens gets splattered.

Whoever shot it does some pretty nifty overtaking down to Ton’s marshal position (4m17s)

We don’t use “The Field of Despair” or “MTFU Hill” on lap one but you can see it to the right of the tarmac section.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS-As4jul_I[/video]

binners

I’m considering doing it on an even more unsuitable bike than last time. Can someone lend me a Demo Nine?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

want a shot on a tandem binners?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Entered…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ll go on the tandem, TJ! 😀

Can you imagine? 😮

binners

You serious TJ? I’d definitely be up for that mate!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I can actually Ride Tandem though look:

So shut up!

Harry_the_Spider

I’d like to see you get it through the wooded stuff!

If you do we’ll have to drop our only rule “two wheels, one rider”.

Uncycles are still banned though. F##king show offs.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

TJ, think about it:

Binners weighs about twenty-five stone, and is almost as slow as Hora. He won’t bother pedalling and will just coast along eating pies, crisps and kebabs, so you’ll have to drag that useless bulk around the whole course.

Whereas if you have me as your stoker, you’ll pedal faster and faster, trying to get away from it. Probbly end up winning the whole thing.

Simple science, innit?

binners

Curse you!! Curse you Elfin and your irrefutable scientific logic!!!

I’ll just register anyway Harry. I can actually get hold of a Demo Nine. With Boxxers, Hope Six Pots the lot.

Do’ya dares me? 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Do it on this and I’ll buy you a pie.

binners

If anyone’s got a Grifter, I’ll do it on that. It’ll weight about the same as the Demo Nine. With none of the advantages

Can you fit SPD’s to a Grifter

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well, even Binnerses’ vast bulk woon’t be able to break that…

I’ll happily do it on a Grifter! 😀

Wunundred! Woohoo! Get in….

Curse you!! Curse you Elfin and your irrefutable scientific logic!!!

Heh! It cannot actually be refuted in any way. 😀 It is indeed Scientific Fact.

edhornby

If anyone’s got a Grifter, I’ll do it on that.

singlespeed niche whore 😀

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The Grifter was 3 speed.

If you’re reading this Dad, I still haven’t forgiven you for chopping up my Grifter.

binners

He chopped up a Grifter!! How the hell did he manage that?!! 😯

I thought after the holocaust, as the nuclear winter destroyed everything in its path. The only creatures remaining would be cockroaches, and they would huddle for shelter under the only the remaining structure. The frames of Raleigh Grifters

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Anyone else having trouble with the British Cycling website, I can’t seem to enter the event without certain details in the account I set up and have to email BC for these to be updated, seems a bit long winded!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

binners – I believe he called out the fire brigade and used their hydraulic cutters. (or used a grinder)

Imagine coming home to find the tubes from your beloved Grifter sat in a neat pile next to the bin!

Sure I hadn’t ridden it for a while due to having a real life mountain bike, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t want it for my bedroom wall!

I still don’t dare break the news to the previous owner some 15 years later.

Harry_the_Spider

Anyone else having trouble with the British Cycling website, I can’t seem to enter the event without certain details in the account I set up and have to email BC for these to be updated, seems a bit long winded!

BC are earning their 60p.

We’re still getting entries coming through. Quite a lot actually.

terrahawk
    Free Member

if you’re genuinely having problems (and not just frustrated because it’s taking longer than 10 seconds) then drop me a line at jasonm AT jmc.it and I’ll see if I can get the problem solved.

I’ve not heard of too many issues though.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

BC are earning their 60p.

Seems a bit overly bureaucratic! You been to any black pudding throwing recently?

nbt

Elfinsafety – Member
    TJ, think about it:

Binners weighs about twenty-five stone, and is almost as slow as Hora. He won’t bother pedalling and will just coast along eating pies, crisps and kebabs, so you’ll have to drag that useless bulk around the whole course.

Whereas if you have me as your stoker, you’ll pedal faster and faster, trying to get away from it. Probbly end up winning the whole thing.

Simple science, innit?

Binners is reigning Hit The North Champion, acksherly.

Binners, you can borrow our tandem if you want. Might take it out on one of the preview rides to see just how it copes – won’t be racing myself, but will try to get up and take pictures

Harry_the_Spider

You been to any black pudding throwing recently?

No, but I’m planning on punching a juggler.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Binners is reigning Hit The North Champion, acksherly.

In what event? Pie-eating? Northern Whinging? Outside Toilet Using? Warm Beer Drinking?

Hora Hurting??? 😯

There is a possibility of a nasty little Soft Southern Shandy Drinking massive coming up to hit the North.

And when we hit it, it will know it’s bin hit…

hora
    Free Member

I will be there with hora junior shouting encouragement again and sampling the food. The Porridge(?) was particularly nice last time.

Harry_the_Spider

Binners is reigning Hit The North Champion, acksherly

Mixed teams at the last 8 hour incarnation. Mr Derek Starship’s crew were a splendid 4th.

There is a possibility of a nasty little Soft Southern Shandy Drinking massive coming up to hit the North.

And when we hit it, it will know it’s bin hit…

Get in!

Drop me a line if you need accommodation. Not at my house I hasten to add.

The after show party is at a pub that does B&B and there is a Travel Lodge / Premier Inn thing just up the road if you want the full Travelling Salesman experience. A certain bike designer once spewed his ring all over the place in there, but they have probably redecorated since then.

Harry_the_Spider

The Porridge(?) was particularly nice last time.

Viking Porridge! I don’t want to know what they put in it* but it works!

*Apricots apparently

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Good stuff Hairy Spider. Binners has very kindly offered all that is his, for my enjoyment, so I think ittud be rude not to really.

WCA’s response was:

Driving all the way to Manchester. For a 2 hour race. In the cold and wet. So close to my birthday (Feb 10th).

Sounds good.

😀

We’d love to come up and help bridge the North/South divide. We could even bring exotic stuffs like jam and soft toilet paper and that. We will need a generator though, for our electrical things.

And so’s we’re not too traumatised, a bucket indoors with a toilet seat placed upon it’s rim, would be essential. Youse can simply take it away and empty and clean it when we’ve done.

A few other requirements, but nothing that can’t be sorted. Oh, and I’m Lard Intolerant, which might be a bit tricky. May have to send up some butter in advance.

binners

I can’t bloody register because of ‘t firewall at work. Arse. I keep forgetting. I shall do it this evening. Using the interweb in my own time? Whatever next? 🙄

I can’t defend my title as such as its an individual event. Just as well. All that EPO and the blood transfusions and everything last time was becoming tiresome.

You’ve got to come up Elfin. I can see you adding a touch of southern sophistication to the local Travel Tavern

twinklydave

The porridge is damn tasty.

As was pretty much everything else the caterers were selling (yes, I’ve sampled it all)

A proper nice cup of coffee would be good too 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Dave, you should bring your caravan down and stay over too.

terrahawk
    Free Member

preview rides

hmmm

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

He’s a Northerner Binners, you idiot. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Hit the North – Entry is open’ is closed to new replies.