• This topic has 93 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Hit and run in Surrey
  • johnners
    Free Member

It’s probably going to Teen 1 in lieu of his CAAD8 which I use for winter duties

Not wanting to pee on anybody’s chips but doesn’t the broken bike belong to the insurers?

duckman

I’ve seen worse than that for sale on Bikemagic.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Not wanting to pee on anybody’s chips but doesn’t the broken bike belong to the insurers?

absolutely it does. And i guess they are really keen for a bag of broken bike bits to be knocking around their (virtual?) office.

Best approach is to advise them you have it back in pieces and get formal acknowledgement that they don’t want it back.

TiRed

160 hours community service (20 days of 8 hours)
    20 hours community rehabilitation order
    10 points (police wanted disqualification)

Offence was classed as most serious, and a custodial sentence was considered. Driver received 1/3 off for pleading guilty at the gate, but had aggregated the offence due to dishonesty and deceit. Failure to complete the community service will result in prison (maximum community service is 300 hours, so this is a significant punishment). Disqualification was allayed by mitigation – rural location, single parent, no public transport, elderly parents, etc…

Happy with the sentence. Failure to prosecute for driving without due care was due to conflicting witness statements and will be subject to a civil claim with lower burden of proof. Failure to stop and report were unequivocal and much more serious. The driver thought there was a good chance of prison and had packed a suitcase.

As for the driver – well she is a registered childminder of previous good character and a clean driving license for 20 years. She tried to cover up the dents with a magnetic sign and replace the smashed wing mirror, she then hid the car from obvious view, gave a no comment interview, then denied all involvement, claimed the dents were from an incident in a car park, and when the police called at the house, pushed her 4yo son away when he tried to tell the police about an accident (I suspect he was in the car and I do hope it hasn’t affected him).

A press release may follow…

Well done to Surrey Collision Investigation Unit for a swift, comprehensive and ultimately successful investigation.

Case closed.

As for the bike, I have formal confirmation from my excellent insurance company (RSA) that I am free to do with it as I wish.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

What an utter bitch. Got off semi light IMO. Are you tempted to ruin her business?

MoreCashThanDash

Glad to hear that you are OK, and happy with the sentence. Given other sentences, I reckon it’s about right.

What an utter bitch. Got off semi light IMO. Are you tempted to ruin her business?

I’d suggest the internet pitchforks should only come out if the victim agrees?

TiRed

I won’t be sharpening any pitchforks just yet 😉 . She doesn’t currently have a business to ruin.

Curiously, I will be riding past her road 10 times in a road race next month. Perhaps she could marshal as part of the order 😈

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well, well I’m not sure what to say other than you feel the sentence is right. For that I’m happy for you.

I’d now try to put it all behind me and ride on.. 8)

brooess
    Free Member

OP – glad you’ve recovered and you feel like you’ve got justice.

I don’t get the mitigation though – after all the covering up and the lies you really have to ask if she’s fit to hold a licence and in what way society gains from her continuing to drive.

I’d like to see some kind of penalty that where someone ‘needs’ to keep their licence for mitigating circumstances, they’re limited to a supermini with a tiny engine – the kind of thing which reduces their feeling of power and status on the road and in being smaller and less powerful, makes it harder to do so much damage to other people…

njee20
    Free Member

I left RSA last month after 5 years there, glad they saw you right!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’d suggest the internet pitchforks should only come out if the victim agrees?

Hehe, it was a question for TiRed, I wouldn’t be getting involved but would probably be tempted to get bitchy if it was me that got knocked down and she was local. I’m a right bitter **** though 😉

Curiously, I will be riding past her road 10 times in a road race next month. Perhaps she could marshal as part of the order

😛

matt_outandabout

IT does seem she has had a pretty robust sentence – and clearly expected / feared being sent down. Glad that OP is back up and riding, and new bike will be on way soon. 😀

devash
    Free Member

I think its a fair sentence considering she had no previous record. God only knows what goes through these people’s heads though when they don’t stop. If she’d have stopped and helped you after the incident then all the hassle would have been avoided, she might of only got done for driving without due care and received a fine and a few points.

TiRed

The new bike was delivered after six weeks. It’s now an old bike – and very nice it is too – raced it a few times already. RSA were very good, questioned nothing and paid out in two weeks.

devash has it absolutely correct. Why didn’t she stop? I can think of a few reasons. None good.

I think the sentence is fair. The police would like a ban, and I think that would have helped send a message, but based on the sentencing guidelines, she was punished appropriately. That’s all I wanted to see. Sixty club riders battering the s**t out of an already battered Merc ML is just for my fantasyjusticetrackworld.

I moved on some time ago – in fact the first time I got back on a bike in the garden. And now I have a nice trike to commute on as well as a (we can rebuild it) Giant Propel unicycle – I just need the skills of that fine lady seen earlier.

Thanks for all your kind words. It has helped with my recovery.

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Hit and run in Surrey’ is closed to new replies.