• This topic has 93 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Hit and run in Surrey
  • wwaswas

Glad you’re heading home soon and hopefully the driver gets more than a slap on the wrists.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Glad you’re heading home soon and hopefully the driver gets more than a slap on the wrists.

Leaving the scene, should get a lot more than that!

Assume there’s no way he could claim he didn’t realised there’d been a collision?

TiRed

Not with the impact I made. Or the absence of a wing mirror. Hope there is enough of my blood and Propel to nail him.

Severity of injuries means the police will press cps for maximum penalty. But it is early days…

nedrapier

good on both counts. How are you feeling?

scaredypants

great news about the driver

heal fast, OP

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

glad you appear to be remaining positive and also glad they got the driver. Keep us updated

aracer
    Free Member

Severity of injuries means the police will press cps for maximum penalty.

£100 fine rather than £50 then?

Sending healing vibes.

fathomer

That’s great news on both counts. Here’s to a swift recovery and harsh punishment.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Isn’t it up to 6 months for hit and run?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Again, healing vibes dude! I hope the horrible **** goes down. At least you’re going to get some new shiny, that Propel was a couple of years old now wasn’t it 😉 pretty sure you can’t get those wheels anymore either so you’ll have to be reimbursed with full carbon!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Good news and I hope you are healing well. Get a solicitor and sue him for damages inc personal injury and missing out on the events you’ll now miss due to the time off recovering.

TiRed

I’m ok. Better than I could have been. Chest drain out today, home tomorrow. Everything from the chest down is fine, so it’s a question of wrist weight bearing and lung capacity. Top ribs don’t seem to hurt as much as bottom ribs.

As for the propel. What a bike, I’ve loved it, raced it 30 times. It’s comfortable, stiff and very fast. The wheels are a good compromise, aero and reasonably light, with alloy breaking. My only problem will be finding another Medium. They are very popular for a reason.

It is a perfect complement to the Defy, which is exactly why I bought it. And the next one must be red!!!

andyl
    Free Member

Finally, good news.

TiRed

On the mend… A week at home taking it easy looking at replacement bikes. Discharged from MaxFac care on Thursday with my good looks still in tact(ish) and a slightly modified bite. Police statement this week, followed by fracture clinic and perhaps a little recovery level effort on the turbo. Located a very nice Propel SL in a German ebay store…

Nationals are four weeks today…

hora
    Free Member

He’ll claim you were a 6ft Badger or the sun was in his eyes or he swerved to avoid you..

Keep us updated. If any decent person hit someone they’d stop and be shaking like a shitting dog.

Xylene
    Free Member

posted to find easier for the future

senorj

Nationals are four weeks today…

Rocky theme music?

glad to hear you on the mend.

rickmeister

Healing vibes sent….

Interesting to see the prosecution outcome on this, but get well soon.

oldgit
    Free Member

Mend up well.
    If its any consolation I was very well £££ looked after when I was a victim of hit and run.
    I remember thinking, its not the damaged body and bike, but all that hard work ‘you’ had put in.
    Get well and come back strong.

Old pre disc Defy SL?…..nice

jambalaya
    Free Member

Healing vibes. Sue him/her.

TiRed

Back on the horse 😀

OK it was on a turbo, but nine minutes of Zone 5 action just to get the blood pumping in a one hour pyramid. Felt great. Of course I can’t use my right hand for much, so hello TT bike and hello to the real darkside commuter 😈 . Bought the replacement Propel too. Much speedy whiteness but I don’t think Marcel needs to worry too much.

mrblobby
    Free Member

8)

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Woh!! How much was that?! I’ve alway reet wanted a go on a recumbent/recumbent trike!! Post up some strava rides so we can see how fast it is!!

When’s the Propel here? Take it those are clinchers (my phone HATES the Giant site!) lovely looking bike!

TiRed

And in other news…

This is just back from Surrey Police

The reason I have it back is because the driver pleaded GUILTY to failing to stop at an accident and failing to report an accident. Sentencing is next week.

As for the damage, well the wheels are still true, the frame looks OK (some of the scratches are for paint sampling). The bars are of course a write off (loved those Ritchey Streem), but they must have saved my wrist further injury. The forks, well not the first pair to see snapped there.

Raced to no acclaim in the Hillingdon vets E1234 tonight on it s shiny white successor.

Kryton57

I always though knives should be blade down?

shermer75
    Free Member

It must be weird seeing that bike again! Hope the racing went well 🙂

duckman

Meh Kryton, not like the OP is unlucky,what’s the worst that could happen?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Severity of injuries means the police will press cps for maximum penalty

In my opinion that really shouldn’t make any difference. A few scratches or left for dead – if they don’t stop they don’t know. They’ve shown themselve unfit to be driving a car – should be automatic loss of licence for hit and run.

TiRed

I always though knives should be blade down?

Only in the dishwasher 😉

I shall race the Surrey League Team Time Trial on these wheels on Saturday as they are: a) still round, b) aero enough, c) will take a 9 speed cassette, d) are clinchers and I can switch to 25c, e) are less fragile than my vintage Zipp 440s.

Will touch up the Giant logo where forensics took pain samples (to identify on the car) and look for some new Propel forks.

The full story does not cover the driver in glory (in fact there was considerable deceit involved), and I’m pleased with the outcome. And it were the stickers in the windscreen that dunnit 😀 Conclusive CCV proof that it was the car in the absence of clear number plate and driver ID.

Bez

“the driver pleaded GUILTY to failing to stop at an accident and failing to report an accident. Sentencing is next week.”

I would have expected also either careless driving, dangerous driving or causing serious injury by careless driving. Was the driver charged with any of those?

Klunk
    Free Member

bit of gaffer tape on those forks and you’ll be good to go 🙂

MartynS

Clever on the drivers part…
    33% discount on fine for an early guilty plea. If the charge is only leaving the scene I’d be amazed if it was more than a couple of hundred pounds and a few points.

TiRed

Charges were leaving the scene and also failure to report. Community Service will be the sentence, plus points and a fine. That’s in lieu of a custodial sentence. The driver will have a criminal record and has (apparently) lost their job.

MartynS

I should stop being cynical….

That’s a bit more than a slap on the wrist.

Bez

So no actual driving charge? Due to lack of evidence, or other reasons, do you know?

allthepies
    Free Member

I sense a new Bez article forming…..

theotherjonv

Sounds like a pretty good outcome all told, glad you are back riding

The full story does not cover the driver in glory (in fact there was considerable deceit involved)

Is the story published yet or just what you’ve been told – would be interested to read some of the official details.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well, well you have the bike back..

I’d be inclined to make a project out of it.. Try SS’ing it or changing the position radically..

Make it so much more different than the new shiny bike..

Glad it’s working out for you now, horrible few months dispersing fast..

8)

TiRed

I’d be inclined to make a project out of it.

It’s probably going to Teen 1 in lieu of his CAAD8 which I use for winter duties. The only damage to the frame is removal of the top coat behind the head tube. The logo damage was paint removal for forensics and I’m already good at touching that up after a race pile up! I’m chasing some new forks and bars at the moment from another written-off Propel frame.

Is the story published yet or just what you’ve been told

I’ll give more details of the case after sentence next Wednesday.

Bez

“The only [b]visible[/b] damage to the frame is removal of the top coat behind the head tube.”

FTFY.

Obviously I don’t know the exact manner of the collision, but if it was hit with enough force to do that to the bars and the fork…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Hit and run in Surrey’ is closed to new replies.