Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Hiking boots
  • BlindMelon
    Free Member

When did they get so expensive! Needing a new pair and anything that fits nicely is about 200 quid, I was hoping to spend about half of this. Any idea where I should try for a saving. I’m looking at 4 season leather like Scarpa sl and Meindl Burma type stuff

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am lucky in that my feet fit hi tech boots – so I can get them for around £50. Nice and comfy Do you really need 4 season? I have winter and summer boots.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Yes in terms of the stiffness and support, I’ve got all sorts of ankle and knee problems from rugby and basically need a sole with little flex and a fairly high ankle support.

highclimber
    Free Member

The price of leather has sky-rocketed and the makes you mention haven’t outsourced their boot production to the far east yet so you’ll struggle to get a new pair of good quality boots for much less than £150+

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Plenty in tisos at less than £150 that look fine.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I got some really nice Lowa boots of Fleabay a few years ago. I’m sure the RRP was about £150 but I got them for about £60 on Buy it Now.
    Can’t for the life of me find out who I got them off.

yoda
    Free Member

Lowa combats.
    I have a pair I use all year round. They’re the boot of choice for the Royal marines. High ankle, stiff sole, very quiet, very grippy, plus they can be repaired and resoled. Almost a boot for life.
    I cant rate them highly enough, they also look just like a black walking boot too, so you won’t look like some “walt” marine wannabe.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

It was Tiso I was in, plenty of choice but the only suitable ones were v expensive. Thanks I’ll check out Lowa

butcher

TK Maxx always have stuff in round here. I got some Hi-Techs about 5 years ago for £25. Might not be the best but they’ve been pretty solid and I’ve certainly had my moneys worth out of them!

chewkw
    Free Member

Meindl Borneo? Less than £200 …

Nipper99
    Free Member

go outdoors have meindl in at a reasonable price. there is also altberg who make their boots in the uk and can accomodate all sorts of fittings etc.

peterfile
    Free Member

You can get the Scarpa SLs for £99 (and lower!) from pretty much anywhere now.

Classic 4 season* boot which will do pretty much anything except front pointing – provided it fits your foot shape.

* you can’t really get a true 4 season boot IMO. You might be able to wear a winter boot in summer (but it won’t be very comfy for epic days on the hills!), and you certainly can’t stick a set of G14’s on a summer boot. That said, my SL’s will happily take G10’s and are fine for most snow and ice duties, you just can’t climb in them and they’re not very good for prolonged winter stuff (too flexible).

boriselbrus
    Free Member
    Jamie
    Free Member

£200? Nah. My Dad wandered into the local Cotswold Outdoor, which is never the cheapest, and got some nice Salomons for £75.

Edit:

8)

deft
    Free Member

Third vouch for Lowas. They now do the mountain boot in a slightly less military looking brown to match the new camo pattern

Or try Trek & Field, they have Scarpas in now and then

highclimber
    Free Member

Those simond boots look alright though you’d be really sweaty in summer with them!

it’s all about the fell running shoes for summer and the b1/2’s for winter!

faz083
    Free Member

had meindl burma pro for about 2 years now and they are without a doubt best boots I have ever owned. Comfy every time you slip them on. Pair them with the right socks and insoles and it’s a winner. Wax them occasionally but waterproofing is perfect.

If you aren’t that bothered about the GTX liner then go for the borneo – same boots but without the liner. Will perform the same, let’s be honest, gore-tex means nothing with leather.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What I like about my Lowa’s is that on the tag inside, it says ‘Made in Germany’ 😕

voodoo_chile

Scarpa sl take about 2 years to break in though!

highclimber
    Free Member

If you aren’t that bothered about the GTX liner then go for the borneo – same boots but without the liner. Will perform the same, let’s be honest, gore-tex means nothing with leather

Not strictly true as the Burma has a PU sole unit whereas the Borneo has a EVA sole unit.

The latter being less likely to break down after a few years use. it’s not massively likely this will happen but it certainly won’t with the EVA sole units!

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I got some Scarpas a couple of years ago after my Zamberlans of 25 years finally gave up. They’re nicely made but nothing like as comfy as the Zs. Felt OK in the shop 🙁

peterfile
    Free Member

Scarpa sl take about 2 years to break in though!

I must have put in over 250 miles in mine from new since August and they’ve never given me so much as a niggle from day one (which was CMD Arete, hardly a gentle easing into the boot!).

I’d say that the SLs took the least amount of time to break in out of any leather boot i’ve owned.

Maybe the newer models use a softer leather or something? But seriously, one of the first things that struck me (almost worried me) was that there didn’t seem to be a break in period. I thought they might have gone too soft after a few months, but they seem to be fine.

dan1980
    Free Member

Yes in terms of the stiffness and support, I’ve got all sorts of ankle and knee problems from rugby and basically need a sole with little flex and a fairly high ankle support.

Don’t get hung up on the idea that having a high ankle will offer you support. Grab any pair of “high” walking boots, and you’ll find that the top bit is actually pretty mobile. If it were rigid enough to stop you turning your ankle, you wouldn’t be able to move it! Most of the support for your ankle comes from the heel cup, and this should be the thing to pay attention to.

I’m currently using a pair of Mammut Cliff boots, and am really happy with them. They’re a kind of mid-height boot, and are a good couple of cms shorter than the Raichle Mt Peaks that I never got on with. Both were rated to take walking crampons on, so possibly worth a look.

The thing to remember though is that no two peoples feet are exactly the same. If you want the boots that fit your feet the best, go and try some on at the end of the day, with the socks you intend to use, at a reputable gear shop, with trained staff who offer a boot fitting service.

peterfile
    Free Member

The thing to remember though is that no two peoples feet are exactly the same.

I disagree. Apparently my feet are indistinguishable from Cliff Richard’s.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I wear 4 season big boots all year round, because I like the high ankle support, thick leather and rigidity. A sort of Scarpa Matterhorn type boot ( I think mine are called Scarpa Dru, which was the original Scarpa Matterhorn). They’re big and heavy, but just plain leather, so don’t generally look out of place in the hills in summer. A lot of people would scoff at me using them, but it’s just what I prefer and they fit like a glove on me feet. My original Drus are 17 years old and completely knackered, but I replaced them with some barely used identical ones off ebay which instantly felt right again.

ourmaninthenorth

*HIJACK*

I’m selling these for my father-in-law. Make me a sensible offer.

Trezeta Top Evo on ebay

Tom

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I like my Meindl Borneo boots, but should’ve got a 1/2 size smaller – fitted ok on the day but perhaps my feet have shrunk a smidge?! I didn’t get the Burma just because I never do much hiking when they’d have given a benefit.
    Only negative of them is that they’re quite heavy.

peterfile
    Free Member

A lot of people would scoff at me using them, but it’s just what I prefer and they fit like a glove on me feet.

One of my mates turned up at the Pap in his Manta’s and a pair of shorts in late August. We all had a bit of a chuckle, but to be fair, by the end of the day half of our group were whinging about their feet – he wasn’t one of them! 🙂

I just stick on whatever is comfy too.

People sometimes have a bit of a laugh at my gf for wearing little denim shorts and stuff when we go climbing/walking etc (i’ve always told her to wear whatever is most comfortable), but they generally stop the looks when she manages to hold a high factor fall and instead look at the muppet who is dressed like he knows what he is doing but clearly can’t climb for toffee (i.e. me!) 🙂

faz083
    Free Member

Not strictly true as the Burma has a PU sole unit whereas the Borneo has a EVA sole unit.

The latter being less likely to break down after a few years use. it’s not massively likely this will happen but it certainly won’t with the EVA sole units!

My bad, didn’t read into it very well. Different between PU and EVA? Or a link to it? sounds interesting.

duckman

Scarpa SL’s are my go to boot as Peterfile says. I will wear them in everything except thigh deep snow. Go for leather rather than fabric as you can kep them waterproof more easily. Sl’s also come in width fittings. I wear Burmas for walking my DoE groups, but for support and comfort the SL’s are unbeatable,and right out of the box as well. Off back to Glencoe this weekend in them 😀

peterfile
    Free Member

where you heading duckman?

I’m heading up with Anna tomorrow for a couple of days instruction in improving trad stuff, going to follow the weather, but most likely be Glencoe area (no doubt Red Squirrel) until Sunday and then if weather holds we’ll head up to Skye for a few days, if not then probably hang about Glencoe.

Beers at the Clachaig might be workable 🙂

duckman

P-F: We are staying in Roy Bridge and doing the notched path on Sat weather allowing,although it is looking grim,if not might head across and do Bidean. So we will be in the Clachaig mid afternoon on Sat.

peterfile
    Free Member

aye, it’s not looking great, but Glencoe seems to be getting a drier forecast than some other areas.

I’ll probably be at the Clachaig on Saturday too (maybe early evening onwards). Have a look at the photos in my Ben Donich thread and if you see someone who looks like me, come and say hello 🙂

slowclimb
    Free Member

PSA! Scarpa SLs in Go Outdoors at less than half price 😀

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/scarpa-mens-slm3-new-boots-p112914

HermanShake
    Free Member

Meindl Burma are more of a 3 season, when you say 4 it suggests B-rated to take a crampon. A B-rated (takes a crampon) boot is likely to be too stiff and stress your existing joint issues. Walking around in technical B3 boots is not fun unless you are above the snowline!

Definitely go for a GoreTex or eVent liner. I have had a pair of Meindl Vakuum in unlined which eventually reached a point of leaking. The lovely squishy memory foam then retains all of the water leading to much frustration and sogginess. I treated them with extensive care, regularly waxed and cleaned them etc.

I currently use the Vakuum GTX, same boot but lined. They are very, very good boots and take a flexible C1 walking crampon.

Get boots with Vibram soles and they’ll last you a long time as you can get them resoled. Meindl resole on the last specific to the boot and size to keep them in perfect shape.

Try them on, don’t just get a web deal! Or try them on….then get a web deal :mrgreen: I did this for Mrs Shake’s Burmas (tried on in Cotswolds, bought from GoOutdoors) and saved aboot £30.

You get what you pay for and a day’s proper walking puts a lot of stress on the feet, legs and spine so don’t cut this corner to close.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Went for the Burmas, Tiso were £190, Field and Trek £125 so Go Outdoors price matched less 10% so £112.50 which was more like what I wanted to pay. Thanks for all the advice

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Hiking boots’ is closed to new replies.