Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 609 total)
  • Highland Trail 550
  • epicyclo

Ah good, she’s on her way to Fort Og…

About 80 miles left all up.

GregMay
    Free Member

Got word from Iona – FIRST OFF she’s not scratching, just going to be back a little later than planned. Yesterday was a bit of a nightmare apparently – but otherwise, she is doing well!

roverpig

Great news. Don’t know why, never met the girl, but I’m here cheering her on. Fantastic effort.

AlasdairMc

Great news! Hope she makes it back in one piece.

crazy-legs

Yay, keep going Iona!

kcal

good going!! all the best..

If it’s same Iona I’m thinking of, was in ER(o)C then moved N to Aviemore, extra cheer as another ex-Edinburgh that decamped for the bright northern lights..

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Right – what bike is she riding? A part of my hopes that it is indeed a red post bike, but I feel that I will be disappointed. 😀

epicyclo

Through Ft Og now

singlespeedstu

I have no idea who Iona is or what she’s like as a rider but she must have balls off steel to still be going after this long.
    Just brilliant that she still has the will to go on. 😀

simondbarnes

What Stu said 🙂

acehtn
    Free Member

🙂

Still moving towards Fort William.

Anyone able to post/link a decent piccy of Iona, my google search turned up a square headed BMC male pro rider.
    Just curious like 🙂 see who we have been following.

scotroutes

Stalker alert!!!

She was training using these in March…..

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Spectacular will power.

ittaika
    Free Member

come on Iona!

epicyclo

At the head of Loch Lochy now.

acehtn
    Free Member

Club stalk 🙂

epicyclo

Approaching Ft William.

GregMay
    Free Member

Looks like today should be the last day of green dotwatching for us all 🙂

Until Tour Divide in two weeks.

richpips
    Free Member

Apparently Iona started with a taped up Achilles injury. A fantastic effort on such a tough route.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Yay! She’s on the move again.

GregMay
    Free Member

Cross posted from Bikepacking.net from Stuart Rider

What an event. Spent far to much time preparing and realising I had not prepared properly. Made Fort Augustus in 12hrs only to be sick whilst feeding my face. A wet Sunday and unable to stomach any food resulted in a hard 60 miles to Strathpeffer and a warm dry room. With virgin and uncharted territory to come and with the racing head down the toilet I relieved myself of the race baggage and unwilling to climb off the bike and onto the Chigwell train back to Tyndrum I planned a tour west to rejoin the race route at the bottom of Torridon. Result, 4 days of wonderful cycling. 400 miles of views and vistas which blew me away. Bothys and trail side camping. Rain and sunshine followed me back to Tyndrum. Mike Davies joined me for a while as we climbed and cycled through Glen Affric and onto Fort Bill. Thanks for the company Mike. After a small diversion to explore a valley near Glen Coe, Tyndrum awaited.
    I knew the HT550 would teach me a few lessons. Prep is everything. Experience is essential. Eating is life itself. Bring on 2015.

Link to my pics on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/yorkshirebiking/sets/72157644973666285/

acehtn
    Free Member

Oh well, work sent me home via the doctor’s, so will have to spend the day dot watching 🙂

Iona’s rolling to Kinlochleven, might all be over by teatime.

Might check out that deathrace on trackleaders next 🙂

jaqsobo
    Free Member

Come on Iona. What an absolute legend to be nearly there now!!!

acehtn
    Free Member

Still the wrong side of Kinlochleven, been there about an hour, lunch rest time ? or tracker stuck ?

🙂 nearly there

flatfish
    Free Member

Some great pics from Stuart.

acehtn
    Free Member

Rolling again.

Through Kinlochleven and heading to Glencoe ski center 🙂

AlasdairMc

Excellent. Once you hit the top of the Devil’s Staircase, the climbing is pretty much complete as the one onto Rannoch Moor is quite gentle and all rideable. Hopefully she’ll get back to Tyndrum in time for dinner.

epicyclo

And hopefully there will be a reception committee to reward that effort. 🙂

rugbydick

Iona’s just coming down the Devil’s Staircase now.

acehtn
    Free Member

She’s past Glencoe Ski center and halfway to the end of Loch Tulla, then it’s bridge of Orchy over the A82 and final bit to Tyndrum

🙂 nearly over, should be well over before closing time.

Been looking about, seen Scotroutes blog, and started going through a similar thread to this on Bearbones bikepacking forum, some more technical detail over there, and some snippets of rider hell and bail outs with the aid of some long distance walkers.
    It really is hard going out there !

epicyclo

acehtn – Member
    …Been looking about, seen Scotroutes blog, and started going through a similar thread to this on Bearbones bikepacking forum, some more technical detail over there, and some snippets of rider hell and bail outs with the aid of some long distance walkers.
    It really is hard going out there !

Proper mountain biking. 🙂

acehtn
    Free Member

ohhh sodding trackers slow to update….

Close to rounding the bottom of loch Tulla now 🙂

eckinspain
    Free Member

3 miles to go!
    Come on Iona.

acehtn
    Free Member

running at 5.6mph 5mins ago, not long now 🙂

acehtn
    Free Member

On my screen she has stopped just up the road from the pub at Bridge at Orchy, been stationary for 30mins now.

Tracker not updating

Has she stopped for a pie and pint 🙂

crazy-legs

Has she stopped for a pie and pint

She deserves an entire round of drinks from everyone in the pub!
    Come on Iona! 🙂

acehtn
    Free Member

But is she in the pub ?

my screen puts her about 350m up the road, hasn’t made it to the pub yet.
    It is a well used overnight wildcamp spot, by the river, short walk to pub, maybe shes getting smashed and pootling down to the finish in the morning….. 🙂

wanmankylung
    Free Member

maybe shes getting smashed and pootling down to the finish in the morning…..

That would be precisely the correct way to do it. None of this battering round in 4 days and heading home for work pish. Full value is best.

acehtn
    Free Member

It’s always an option when i am up that way to get off the main road at the pub, park the car, pitch tent and vist pub, does get busy there at times 🙂

According to my screen Iona’s been still for 1 1/2 hours i reckon she’s pubbing it 🙂

dazh

Maybe she’s sat in the pub reading this and having a good laugh at how we’re all watching a stationary dot a few miles from the finish 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 609 total)

The topic ‘Highland Trail 550’ is closed to new replies.