Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 464 total)
  • Highland Trail 550 2015
  • krixmeister

Hated to scratch, but as mentioned started the race (with doctor’s OK I will add, for the benefit of my wife looking over my shoulder just now…) with suspected Lymes disease and on meds. That might have been the reason, or it could just be a lack of manliness. Was feeling good until Struy, then lost all energy.

Anyway – will try again next year, and wanted to say a big thank you to Alan and Greg.

@nik – for what it’s worth, I’m photo 38 in the section around Glencoe ski center, and 32 on back side of Devil’s Staircase. Not sure if you caught me before or after my stack, but in any case was nowhere near as bad as Steve’s.

epicyclo

Is it my imagination, or have there been less scratches so far this year. Better weather?

GregMay
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member
    Is it my imagination, or have there been less scratches so far this year. Better weather?

Not your imagination – but not better weather. Less wet, but way colder and windier

nikk
    Free Member

I tagged the photos, hope it is correct!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Mark McPhillips is currently tucking into a nice pie at the Lochinver Pie Shop. Planning on a few more miles before biving

boxelder

Glad I got an early start from Glen Cassley and got the last b+b in town. Enjoyed my pies in a hot bath.

GregMay
    Free Member

Last bit before bed.

We have another starter tomorrow – ITT rider start John Fettis – due to go at 8am.

http://trackleaders.com/highland15i.php?name=John_Fettis

robbie
    Free Member

First time I’ve really looked at this race WOW! big respect to them all out there! Interested how easy is it to navigate a course like this just with a garmin? Also what type are most using? battery life must be a nightmare for so many days?

dotwatcher
    Free Member

An update on Rich & Tom’s detour. Apparently Rich went wrong around there last year too…. so all the fault of Pips the Elder.
    Tom is looking forward to the steep hill push
    The river crossing (Rich is going to take his bike across first and then spot Tom so he isn’t eaten by a Loch Monster) and then
    The Fisherfield section of doom that seems to take ages to cross, but is flat(ish)on a well ironed map so has us armchair dot watchers screaming at the screen.

They are loving all the support they are getting here and on Twitter – even better than the May Queen entourage doing a pre teen scream (at Tom thankfully) as they passed by the other day.

IanB
    Free Member

Funny that, as Rickie Cotter and Steven Sloof did exactly the same thing this morning on the Ullapool track…

Looking forward to see how Rich and Tom go today 🙂
    Carnmore bothy might make a good target, given the severity of the terrain.

matt_outandabout

Brilliant stuff.

GregMay
    Free Member

Surprisingly, no scratches over night.

We will see what happens when people get into signal around Ullapool.

dotwatcher
    Free Member

Now they are at the bottom of The Inverbroom push would it be wrong to shout “Push! Push! Push! just PUSH!!!”. I seem to remember something similar being said to me 10 years ago.

FOG

Great photos nikk! But why are so many of them smiling? I suspect there are lots of folk like me watching this, who have done bits of the course at some time but not in one massive heave. respect to all.
    One equipment choice question though, I notice most if not all have opted for SPDs rather than flats. If there is so much pushing would there be any advantage in non -cleat footwear? Or does the advantage gained by clipping in for the road and easier sections outweigh any better grip pushing up big climbs?

GregMay
    Free Member

The things I do for you lot… rushed, but you get the idea.

2014 on the LHS – 2015 on the RHS. It’ll take a HUGE effort for Josh or Tom to catch Phils pace knowing what’s coming next speed wise from Phils race.

Kunstler

It looks like the gap at the front is diminishing. About seven miles of tarmac between them right now.

GregMay
    Free Member

Steve Large has stopped – not scratched – as he has had to order a new freehub. He will get going again tomorrow.

GregMay
    Free Member

Steve Large has stopped – not scratched – as he has had to order a new freehub. He will get going again tomorrow.

I would suspect Josh has stopped at the cafe on the way to Torridon, good spot before a long push and really technical traverse.

Kunstler

Nah, zoom in further and you’ll see he’s in the facilities next to the campsite. Perhaps he’s considered not subjecting fellow cafe users to four days of race sweat and taking a swift shower.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Anyone know what Ilan Rubinstein is doing? Assume he’s got some very different plans or is very, very lost!

whitestone
    Free Member

It was mentioned somewhere that he was using the HT550 as a basis for riding round the Highlands if he didn’t feel like continued participation.

Looks like Josh has just started the ascent from Annat.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Wonder why he changed his mind?

I’m routing for Mark McPhillip’s, he’s a local to me. I’ve told his wife to tell him that he’s got to be back and in shape for the local midweek XC series, starting tomorrow…

GregMay
    Free Member

r8jimbob88 – Member
    Wonder why he changed his mind?

Lets go with fear. Fear is always a good reason 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

Scratch Update:

Really sorry to announce that Steve Heading is pulling the plug. Head not in it.

moonboy
    Free Member

love this. Just properly bonkers.

<edit> not the bit about your man dropping out, just the whole thing I mean </edit>

pt0608
    Free Member

Looks like we might be in for an epic battle out front between Josh and Tom.
    Can Tom catch him?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Wonder if he knows he’s just ahead of him? Might be able to smell him…?

mt
    Free Member

My Hero is out! Enjoying this thread but shame that Steve Heading is out.

Keep going everyone else.

dotwatcher
    Free Member

That is a shame.

The Pips are either having a navigational or packing it in. They are currently scooting along the A832…

whitestone
    Free Member

Is the bit over from Torridon the last of the serious hike-a-bike sections? I know there’s the climb up to and past the Falls of Glomach which considering what they’ll have done to get there is likely to be a push but is there anything else?

Ilan looks to be heading in the opposite direction so hopefully he won’t spill the beans about the time gap – though of course it’s hard to keep everyone in the dark about relative position these days.

GregMay
    Free Member

Looking like Rich and Tom are taking the road around Fisherfield:

GregMay
    Free Member

There could of course be something else going on, maybe they know of a cake shop I don’t.

dotwatcher
    Free Member

Ahhh…. very sensible given Toms ability to sink like a stone.

dotwatcher
    Free Member

They have an encyclopedic knowledge of cake shops and pubs so that is also a possability

LS
    Free Member

Really sorry to announce that Steve Heading is pulling the plug. Head not in it.

I train with Steve quite regularly and it’s safe to say that he’s harder than several bags of nails. If he’s not feeling it then he must be really suffering.

large418
    Free Member

Saw Tom and Rich this morning riding past the garage in Ullapool. They didn’t stop but sounded in good spirits.

Real shame about SteveH.

Mark Mcphillips has just eaten and is aiming for one of the bothies in Fisherfield. Sore knees but good spirits.

Alan G and Philip FraserT also in good spirits. Just leaving Ullapool.

I am waiting for a new free hub then hopefully crack on tomorrow.

It’s a brilliant race, but a bit tough….

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

leaders a mile apart after 3 days.. exciting stuff!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

3 guys in Tesco in Ullapool. This is bordering in stalking now, I have to stop!

c_klein87

Wow its close! maybe josh’s early pace is catching up with him!

GregMay
    Free Member

c_klein87 – Member
    Wow its close! maybe josh’s early pace is catching up with him!

Josh going out to hard…why that never happens…

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 464 total)

The topic ‘Highland Trail 550 2015’ is closed to new replies.