Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 464 total)
  • Highland Trail 550 2015
  • dotwatcher
    Free Member

The alternative is peeling him off the ceiling each day where he hovers in a Coke (Cola thankfully at his age) and haribo cocktail induced flying session.

nikk
    Free Member

Just back from Tyndrum / Kinlochleven. Saw everyone off.

Can’t believe that Josh Ibbett and Steve Headding are at the top of Corrieyairack!

One scratch already I’m afraid. I drove Steve Robbins back to Tyndrum from Kinlochleven. He had an OTB on the descent from Devil’s Staircase, hand injured, can’t hold onto bars 🙁 Some cuts, but he will be ok I think. Bad luck, having to scratch so soon.

That section is the most dangerous in the 1st day, as I said before. Also hearing from walkers of other OTB incidents there, plus numerous flats.

Pics up later today I hope.

nikk
    Free Member

Steve Heading is at Fort Augustus now. 7pm. That is 10 hours for nearly 100 miles, including some tough / slow sections. Racing!

dotwatcher
    Free Member

I think the catch will be well before Crontin… The front runners are charging along. Is it just me or is this year faster?

whitestone
    Free Member

Looks like the front two have now passed Rich and Tom.

Not sure about faster – Ian Barrington’s account from last year had about eight stopping at the same point as Rich and Tom on the first night but the leaders were ahead by a while.

GregMay
    Free Member

Official Scratch Update – sorry for the delay but I was riding back from the Lakes

OK, we had a DNS yesterday from Craig McGee who had and RTA in Glasgow before he got to the start, he’s fine.

Todays scratches are:
    1) Steve Robbins after a crash that may have caused a fracture in his hand/wrist.
    2) Andrew Hutchenson is having some back issues and taking the smart route by stepping out.

Also, Pete Lumsden missed the start due to work and will be doing the route as an ITT in a few days! Good man 🙂

That’s it until tomorrow.

nikk
    Free Member

Some early photo rushes. I think I got photos of all the riders, and will post them when I have processed them all.

epicyclo

After midnight. They’re still going!

epicyclo

Tom is running second on a rigid SS. 🙂

bedmaker

Bonkers distances as ever!

Every year I think the leaders will blow up after such a huge first day, but they just keep on trucking mostly 😯
    Incredible athletes some of these guys and gals.

nikk
    Free Member

24 hours in. Josh and Tom are at about 190 miles. Josh’s SPOT hasn’t updated for a while, I think he may be further on. That is a massive first day from both riders. Josh slept for 2 1/2 hours.

epicyclo

Tom is ahead now. Looks like Josh hasn’t moved for a couple of hours.

matt_outandabout

Watching a few pixel dots on a screen is addictive. 😕

whitestone
    Free Member

I remember that last year a few of the trackers didn’t update occasionally, maybe that’s what’s happening.

pt0608
    Free Member

Go Tom!
    It’s his stag do next weekend! 😯

whitestone
    Free Member

As if to prove my point, on the last update Josh’s tracker now puts him past Oykel Bridge and about 7 miles ahead of Tom. There’s a few further back whose trackers haven’t updated for a while as well.

scotroutes

The older trackers need to be reset every 24 hours, plus poor placement can result in loss of signal.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i like this pic, old giant, knackered rst forks, v-brakes, no gloves, not much kit, looks under prepared if anything, not much gear in that dry bag on the bike,

GregMay
    Free Member

Overnight Scratch Update:

Ashraf Kamel – Broken derauiler before Fort Augustus.
    Kristan Rivers – possible return of Lymes Disease….urk!

Thats it for now.

GregMay
    Free Member

Lets also clarify something with “SPOT issues” – a lot of the time it is user error. Ie, not turning them back on. Or forgetting to check if they are working at all.

whitestone
    Free Member

Greg: Perhaps I could have worded it better as “no updates have been received from the trackers” which doesn’t imply any fault with the units, not that I intended to imply anything in the first place.

GregMay
    Free Member

Greg: Perhaps I could have worded it better as “no updates have been received from the trackers” which doesn’t imply any fault with the units, not that I intended to imply anything in the first place.

Not taking a jab at you. It’s something that irks me in general. Hardware is only as smart as it’s user. When a SPOT is in open sky, like a GPS, and is set to signal – it will. It make take 20mins, but it will signal.

Now if someone has stopped for 30mins in a building, then gone outside, you’re looking at about 50mins before it can update.

So not SPOT issue, user error. Hence why we ask riders to attach to their bike – facing the sky. Not in their pocket, facing the building.

GregMay
    Free Member

i like this pic, old giant, knackered rst forks, v-brakes, no gloves, not much kit, looks under prepared if anything, not much gear in that dry bag on the bike,

Does anyone know which rider it is in that photo??

whitestone
    Free Member

I know what you mean – Tom’s tracker was being shown as greyed out but his position was at Oykel Bridge so just possibly maybe he might be inside the hotel tucking in to one of their breakfasts 😛

Similarly if someone has a mechanical they could have the Spot covered or pointing to the ground for a couple of updates, potentially thirty minutes between the system/website being updated.

Back on track (sorry), I wonder just how far Josh will get today – another ten hours of daylight though on increasingly tired legs and there’s Bealach Horn to contend with.

GregMay
    Free Member

Have you met Josh? If he’s back riding like he used to it’ll be no issue. I really hope he sets a record time.

Sorry Phil, looks like you may need to go back buddy 🙂

nikk
    Free Member

27 hours in, Josh at 220 miles, just on the climb from the power station now.

Does anyone know which rider it is in that photo?

I don’t know his name. I chatted with him and another rider briefly at the Kinlochleven Spar.

acehtn
    Free Member

A bloke in 2 photos up there, for some strange reason a character from spaced comes to mind “wheels” 🙂

Is the giant rider this years underdog hero 🙂

Kunstler

Does anyone know which rider it is in that photo??

I think it’s Chuck Norris.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well impressed by this. My guess is even doing it in 7 days would be not quite “fun” for most of us.

Looks like there’s a few bits of tarmac, correct? Offset buy the bog-pushes no doubt 😛

scotroutes

I think someone reckoned 10-15% walking Al. And the tarmac section includes the Drumbeg road 😆

dirtyrider
    Free Member

this makes more sense to me than that double double south downs thing 😕

cynic-al
    Free Member

Have to say I didn’t find the Drumbeg road that bad.

nikk
    Free Member

It’s about 5% of the distance walking, but could be 25% of the time.

I enjoyed the Drumbeg road a lot last year. I was rested up, it was blazing sunshine, and I stopped in the store for a lot of food. If you are feeling on form, it is a great rolling cruse that section, an easy part of the course.

My guess is even doing it in 7 days would be not quite “fun” for most of us.

My feeling is that it is better to do it either as fast as you possibly can push yourself to do it, or to really tour it with lots of stops over 12 or more days.

7 days is still excellent going, and tough as hell. But to be honest, it is ‘finishing it’ that is the hard part, not how many days it takes. Dealing with the physical and mental strain is hard.

GregMay
    Free Member

as Nick said, finishing the route is hard. It has some serious riding in it mixed with long distances and not great resupply if you’re going slow.

I’d say the walking is closer to 10% minimum – more for less capable riders.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any idea what the tarmac % is?

GregMay
    Free Member

Probably about 10% if you include the Drumbeg road. Quite a bit of gravel and access roads though.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Ilan Rubinstein appears to be going the wrong way?

scotroutes

Or has had enough?

GregMay
    Free Member

I would suspect the latter.

He’s not officially scratched yet.

Every year, someone has taken that wrong turn though….

dotwatcher
    Free Member

There appears to be a party going on in Crontin, or the cafe service is really slow.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 464 total)

The topic ‘Highland Trail 550 2015’ is closed to new replies.