Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • High volume shock on regressive rate suspension?
  • mafiafish
    Free Member

Looking at replacing my float r on my prophet and wanted to know if high volume shocks are suitable. Does the high volume lend them to easy bottoming out?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

A high volume shock will not be as progressive as one with a standard can so yes, it will go through the end of the stroke faster/easier.

z1ppy

as the it has a regressive rate rear suspension design, & the HV shock with it linear action, means that their not well suited to each other (it'd bottom out easier).

I'd get your Float R tuned

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

it will still be progressive, just not as much. I'd stick with what the manufacturer chose.

Is the prophet actualy regressive or aproximately linear?

mafiafish
    Free Member

pfft I dunno I just read someone say it and someone say it about the heckler too. If it's linear I might get the high volume one as this float is about as plush as a girder.

Rickos
    Free Member

The Prophet's regressive rate is designed with a low volume shock in mind so that the natural progression of the air shock works out as a linear rate on the bike. A high volume shock will just plunge through the travel in a less controlled way. If you can afford it, get a 2010 RP23 with the boost valve. Works superbly on my Prophet.

retro83
    Free Member

Consider getting the propedal tune changed on the float. Mine was like a completely different shock afterwards.

glenh
    Free Member

The prophet is definitely a falling /regressive rate frame design, so a high volume shock would be a bad idea – you'd almost certainly end up with a falling rate overall, which is rubbish (poor small bump sensitivity and easy bottoming).

I add extra oil to the air chamber on my standard size rp3 in order to reduce the volume a touch further and thus make the shock more progressive. This is to counter the falling rate design of my C'dale rush (which is very similar to the prophet).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘High volume shock on regressive rate suspension?’ is closed to new replies.