Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • High Street Yesterday – pics :-D
  • clareymorris

A few images from yesterday. We rode straight from home over he full High Street route to the pick up the van at Troutbeck. It isn’t sunset by the way, just the way the sky was out on the coast all day long!! Awesome days riding, made much more fun by the rock hard conditions and cracking company 😛

IanMunro
    Free Member

Rode straight from home!. You’re not making yourself popular you know 🙂

Sandwich

Not popular at all! 🙂

clareymorris

I’ve over egged it really…it was totally rubbish.
    You wouldn’t have liked it at all.

ton

i would love to catch high street in such conditions.

we rode it early last year and the descent down to the pooley bridge end was a shlonky wet miserable slow plod. ;o(

it is a good route tho ;o)

rOcKeTdOg

fantastic pics, looks well brrr to this soft midlander though

clareymorris

I can totally imagine it Tony. We chose yesterday for precisley that reason and it was unbelievable hard on the ground, but luckily not much ice until we got to Garburn….sketchy there to say the least 😮

Stranger
    Free Member

You kept high over Ill Bell to Garburn and then down to Troutbeck?
    Is that all rideable?
    Many walkers out?

clareymorris

Stranger we did indeed. Very rideable and only 2 (surprised looking) walkers!!

Daffy

Proper mountainbiking. Looks amazing, How long did it take, could it be done as a loop?

Stranger
    Free Member

Looks excellent!
    Which is the summit cairn in the photo?
    Is that Ill Bell or Yoke?
    Might have to give that a go sometime.
    Just need a van at the other end! 🙂
    Or more than one day…

knottie8
    Free Member

that looks great.

daveevs
    Free Member

So that’s what it looks like! Great day for a great there mate.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

That looks magical. Like something out of Lord Of The Rings.

I want to go there.

But not for a few months. I bet it’s proper bastard freezing up there.

clareymorris

The summit cairn is Ill Bell I think…………Gav will tell me if I am wrong!!

Just do it when it has been dry for weeks RudeBoy, it gets reet wet!!

Apart from all of us having a real cold hands moment half way through we were surprisingly ok on the temp front. It was -5 on the top but it was only when the wind caught you you felt the real chill. We didn’t hand around long though when we did stop!!

simonralli2
    Free Member

That looks like one fantastic ride.

Clarey – I was watching Wainwright Walks on BBC too over Christmas and saw this walk – I knew it would make a great ride. But there seemed to be a few scrambles – can you ride all the way or is there any carrying?

I am deffo going to be doing some ride like this when I am next up at my folks and have a bike there too.

jazzpootle
    Free Member

The pics look awesome and very inspiring! I am going to do that next summer and hopefully the Helvellyn range. I just need my dog to stop biting the wheels when I am riding!

Peter
    Free Member

That looks propper cold. It’s making me shiver just looking at the pics!
    🙂

Also looks like a bloody fantastic ride… ::envy::

😀

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

Yes,Clares right the summit cairn is Ill bell.From High street summit we stayed up high but joined the singletrack to the western side of Froswick (125000 map)this avoids a climb and i was hoping to do the same for ill bell as there is a track on the map, but nothing on the ground, so it was a 20 minute hikabike to the top.

From the southern side of ill bell,and over Yoke the path has had major repairs and is exellent all the way to Garburn summit.

It was a much safer decent than the Bridleway,although traditionally the routes best done South to North.

The Garburn climb would make an exellent, and more rideable start to the route,and even better if i can find the path on the side of ill bell!

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

Daffy “could it be done as a loop?”

We were talking about that while riding,i think it could be linked up nicley with a decent into Kentmere (from Garburn) followed by Stile end,Gatesgarth pass,and Haweswater following the road to Askham village.

Thinking about it more i would start at the end of Haweswater as i like to get the roadwork over with first thing,and finish on an offroad section.

Or an alternative could be starting at Askham,roadwork to Swindale.Mosedale
    cottage,Gatesgarth pass to stile end,garburn picking up the high street route via yoke and ill bell.

Theres always the option via Kirkstone pass and then the lakeshore singletrack,but depending on time of year/day it can be very busy with walkers.

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

Lots of full width ice on Garburn made things interesting!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘High Street Yesterday – pics :-D’ is closed to new replies.