Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • High IQ = Success (or not)
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

Reading the other IQ thread got me thinking, are brainy people more successful (in their careers)
    I suspect it makes naff all difference, but i`m bored so……..

Post your IQ and job status.

155 – IT Manager

Drac

No idea – NHS Manager

amedias
    Free Member

Post your IQ and job status.

unknown – employed full time

did you actually mean to say post your job title?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Don’t know and don’t care enough to find out – Self employed technical illustrator.

kerley
    Free Member

IQ varies based on which test on which day but always over 150.

How are you judging success in a career?

For me success is doing something you enjoy and get something out of. I am therefore successful in that I like analysing stuff/coming up with/implementing solutions and that is mainly what I do.

nemesis
    Free Member

I went to a really academic school and several kids were definitely ‘smarter’ or ‘cleverer’ than me which I figure likely equates to higher IQ.

But that didn’t always translate into exam success and I got better grades than many of them. I kind of think that’s similar in career ‘success’ too. Business is often about pragmatism and finding less than ideal solutions rather than the cleverest, most complex ones.

ads678

I have no idea what my IQ is and am not bothered in the slightest either.

I’m a Civil Engineer.

mooman
    Free Member

181 … shark wrestler

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Define IQ and define success

brakes
    Free Member

182 – shark tamer

bigjim

define success

Posting about your carbon santa cruz, woodburner and audi/range rover on here, it would seem.

wilburt
    Free Member

IQ, Effort and existing Money are the strongest factors influencing financial success.

km79
    Free Member

How do you define sucess with regards to your career? Salary? Rank? Position?

I have a high IQ but almost zero motivation and a crap education (entirely my doing). I’m fairly capable of most things I try, but never pick one thing to really learn at an expert level. I make a very comfortable living doing not a lot.

kerley
    Free Member

Define IQ and define success

IQ is well defined and can be easily test.

Success cannot be defined as it could be different for each person but if OP come back with an answer that involves salary/money then we know which way they will be voting today…

nemesis
    Free Member

Posting about your carbon santa cruz, woodburner and audi/range rover on here, it would seem.

Dammit. I have none of those 🙁

angeldust
    Free Member

183 – Bedlington terrier motivator

kerley
    Free Member

I have a high IQ but almost zero motivation and a crap education (entirely my doing). I’m fairly capable of most things I try, but never pick one thing to really learn at an expert level. I make a very comfortable living doing not a lot.

I thought that was just me. I could have written those words to describe myself exactly.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was the cleverest kid in school by miles. When I was about 6 a lady came round to assess me for some reason or other. I thought it was a test with right and wrong answers, but I remember showing off by giving smart alec answers that were technically right but not what she was expecting.

In GCSE English lessons I used to monopolise the discussion sessions arguing about the books whilst the other kids stared out of the window or chatted. In the GCSE exam we had to write a follow-on to an excerpt of fiction, and the teacher thought mine was better than the original book. We had a Physics class where we had to come up with our own ways of solving problems; where the teacher (whom my mum knew) would rave about how brilliant our class was with all these creative ingenious solutions, until he found out that it was me giving out ideas to the rest of the class. Not only that, but I cleaned up at school sports days too.

Wtf happened to me? I have a shit degree, keep getting into trouble at work and I’ve got no KOMs.

mudshark
    Free Member

Dunno what mine is really but from tests I did years ago in the 140s – note sure I’d get into Mensa. Work in IT, which doesn’t mean much, paid better than most but have earnt more from the stock market in recent years – Brexit/weak pound aided!

Klunk
    Free Member

5 lottery winner (Not)

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

My IQ is high enough to realise that career /= success so I work as little as possible to get by and enjoy all the other things life has to offer.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Surely without age this is useless?

The other thread on IQ was about a 13 year old having a higher IQ than Stephen Hawking.

And the kids job title is what? He is 13! Maybe Senior X-box player?

kerley
    Free Member

I’ve got no KOMs

Outrageous.

Next question – Is IQ linked to KOMs ?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Mine actually is (was) in the 140s and being fairly clever is helpful in scientific research, though luck and other abilities play a very significant role. Might have been better off slightly less good at maths and working a bit harder instead! Or indeed being more clever and also working harder…oh I see a pattern emerging.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

250. Professional liar.

njee20
    Free Member

180 – Shark

90 – MTB wheelsize researcher

RobHilton
    Free Member

Also me to a tee. I’m an expert spreadsheet twiddler but that’s just compared to the majority of users. I appear to be very well educated cos I know a bit about a lot of stuff, but I’m such a hopeless student I’ve barely got enough certificates to wipe my arse with.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say so, from what I hear about my Son’s school if anything it’s going the other way.

IQ tests are of course deeply flawed, with no fixed criteria of testing but we’ll forget that for a bit.

In the ‘World of Education’ In my experience the kids who did really well in school weren’t the bright ones, not in real terms anyway – they had good attention spans, and good memories.

Fast forward to the ‘world of work’ and I see people with good ‘Emotional Intelligence’ succeed, which is odd because the more emotionally intelligent people are, the more robotic they seem, if you can set aside your feelings, and use other people’s feelings to convince to share your goals you’ll do very well.

In the ‘world of business’ I’m fairly sure intelligence is a complete hindrance, most intelligent people won’t take the risks people do in business, they understand the odds too well. No, blind unwavering determination is what you need – even the best ones like the ‘Dragons’ and Lord Suge belief utterly and completely that every move they made was right, even the wrong ones and all you need to do to succeed it to keep getting up after your failures and luck plays no part in it.

molgrips
    Free Member

P-Jay – that’s what I keep telling myself too 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

Perhaps you’re intelligent to understand that life is finite, and not enough people measure success in terms of happiness.

nedrapier

184 – Flagpole

PJM1974
    Free Member

IQ tests are somewhat flawed, if you keep taking them then you become good at them, which affects the end result. Moreover, you’re tested on a relatively narrow range of cognitive abilities.

At school, I was in the category of “cleverer than average, but lacks focus and can’t be arsed”. At primary school, a teacher attempted to motivate me by telling me often that I was stupid. I was at an impressionable age, so I believed it all the way until I sat my A Levels. I still make the mistake today of believing that everyone I meet is by default cleverer than I am. That’s imposter syndrome for you.

Today, I note with some tinge of sadness that so many of the kids I admired at school for their intellect seemed to have intellectually peaked as teenagers and are either damn good at hiding their light under a bushel or have grown to be mediocre, banal adults. One straight A student at twelve now seems to communicate by smashing a keyboard with his forehead.

Apparently, I’m in the top one percentile which by rights ought to make me a millionaire. I’m not, but I do own two bikes.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

What wheel size though?

DezB
    Free Member

IIRC – 160 – job status? Failure

(Wasn’t aware til now that I went to school with PJM1974)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Flag flying Shark tamer trainer.

mooman
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    I was the cleverest kid in school by miles. When I was about 6 a lady came round to assess me for some reason or other. I thought it was a test with right and wrong answers, but I remember showing off by giving smart alec answers that were technically right but not what she was expecting.

In GCSE English lessons I used to monopolise the discussion sessions arguing about the books whilst the other kids stared out of the window or chatted. In the GCSE exam we had to write a follow-on to an excerpt of fiction, and the teacher thought mine was better than the original book. We had a Physics class where we had to come up with our own ways of solving problems; where the teacher (whom my mum knew) would rave about how brilliant our class was with all these creative ingenious solutions, until he found out that it was me giving out ideas to the rest of the class. Not only that, but I cleaned up at school sports days too.

Wtf happened to me? I have a shit degree, keep getting into trouble at work and I’ve got no KOMs.

If they could measure ego – Im sure youd score the highest for that too. You sound awesome!

PJM1974
    Free Member

The combined sum of the wheel sizes of both of my bikes, divided by two equals the IQ of your average UKIP voter.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Politician.

I’m considering writing it on a bus.

aracer
    Free Member

Have never done a formal test, but fairly confident my IQ is high enough for Mensa, whatever that level is.

Always top of class at school – probably in pretty much every subject until I got bored with history and couldn’t be bothered (I’d managed to drop any other subject I was bored by and only doing history because it was the only remaining choice on the timetable). Went to a very good university and excelled in my first year, faded a bit in my second and almost failed my final year. By any standards my work career has at best been one of mediocrity, though it’s currently slipped a bit from that high standard.

Ironically I was rubbish at sports at school and almost unfailingly one of the last picked for anything. Yet I have plenty of KOMs and alongside my mediocre work career managed to compete internationally at an elite level. So in some senses I’ve been very successful, just not in the way anybody who knew me at 16 would have anticipated.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘High IQ = Success (or not)’ is closed to new replies.