Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • High IQ = Success (or not)
  • flashinthepan
    Free Member

200, IQ test designer

PJM1974
    Free Member

Politician.

I’m considering writing it on a bus.

You sir, are a bona-fide genius.

njee20
    Free Member

100 – my job’s alright. Average.

johnx2
    Free Member

Given that fewer than one person in a thousand has an IQ over 150 you lot are a clearly a strikingly elite bunch of freakishly intelligent intellectuals.

So, what wheelsize to make the trails come alive?

aracer
    Free Member

PJM1974
    Free Member

160 isn’t all that much. It’s about the same as 80 MPs.

Kryton57

I’m as thick as pig shit but am a relatively successful middle manage / SME. Go figure.

nickc

we have a quick fire “intelligence” test that accompanies the psychometric* ones we use for new recruits/candidates. The chap they sent to show us how to run the test, interpret the results, and so on, had us (the middle and senior management team) do the intelligence bit “for a bit of fun”

I scored second highest (my immediate boss came first, phew) both of us apparently “high enough for entrance to Mensa” (right… 🙄 ), and some of the senior management team are very highly placed consultants in some world famous hospitals, it was more than a little embarrassing TBH. I think it entirely depends on what sort of puzzle you’re good at solving, and has some-one said, if you’ve seen these sorts of tests before.

*yes I know, I thought the same when they were introduced.

poah
    Free Member

couldn’t care less – work in a supermarket

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Never done it, never wanted to. Got 5 A levels, 2 degrees and a good job. But that isn’t doesn’t mean with “success”, which is multiaxial.

However – just as being rich doesn’t make you happy, but helps, I think being clever can help with success.

Re Mensa – The idea of people repeatedly testing themselves and joining clubs for people with a high IQ, is as lacking in attraction as repeatedly measuring ones left foot and having a club for those with the largest ones… or getting one’s tape measure out and measuring yer cock. And having a club for the largest cocks too…

Sad ( and the membership cost too much 😉 )

Garry_Lager

aracer – Member

Have never done a formal test, but fairly confident my IQ is high enough for Mensa, whatever that level is.Top 2% for mensa – so roughly 1 million people in the UK are prob eligible, many of whom appear to be posting here.

I joined for a bit – found the test extremely hard tbh, way more difficult than the typical ‘mensa IQ questions’ you might see knocking about. Prob easier if you’re younger and still have that exam-taking mindset.

molgrips
    Free Member

If they could measure ego – Im sure youd score the highest for that too. You sound awesome!

That was meant to be self deprecating – apologies if this wasn’t made clear 🙂

footflaps

I’m amazed anyone knows their IQs….

No idea what mine is.

tjagain

VRQ of 145+ ( verbal reasoning quotient – a type of IQ test) and 135ish on standard IQ tests

Staff nurse. Perfectly happy as one and having time and energy to do other things than work

seosamh77
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

No idea what mine is.long as it makes them feel nice about themselves! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

1967 – European cup winner! 😆

jimjam
    Free Member

footflaps

No idea what mine is.

Do an online test. Then do another one on a different site and wonder why you’ve suddenly lost 40 IQ points.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

8 POTUS/sex pest

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I don’t know how successful I am or what my IQ is but I do have a BSc (Bronze Swimming certificate)

anagallis_arvensis

This thread is awesome!!!

footflaps

Do an online test. Then do another one on a different site and wonder why you’ve suddenly lost 40 IQ points.

I think my time would be more productive watching cat videos online…

graemecsl
    Free Member

No is the answer depending on what your opinion of success is and assuming it’s making lots of money which most people seem to consider success then the thickest boy in our year finished bottom of the D stream every time, went on to make the most money. But he was single minded in it’s pursuit and a bit dishonest as most successful business types generally are.

I did an internet test and it came out 165 wether that means anything or not given I just like those kind of logic puzzles, it doesn’t make me especially successful, but I have had my moments of both, success and failure and as the man said treated them with equal disdain.

Most of the really rich folk of my acquaintance and i know half a dozen or so mega wealthy types, I wouldn’t call the sharpest tools in the box. Being very intelligent is a disadvantage I would say.

DezB
    Free Member

I reckon if I did the test again (pretty sure I was in my 20s when I did it), I reckon I’d get about a 50. Still a complete failure.

loddrik
    Free Member

Bullshitter

seosamh77
    Free Member

graemecsl – Member
    I did an internet test and it came out 165 wether that means anything

I think a necessary indicator of a high IQ is an absolute understanding that online IQ tests tell you nothing about your IQ. 😆

milky1980
    Free Member

Looking at my friends there doesn’t seem to be any correlation between their IQ and their level of success. Some are very intelligent and useless at life, others are dull as hell but can’t do anything wrong! Most are in the middle on both counts.

I have a high IQ but almost zero motivation and a crap education (entirely my doing). I’m fairly capable of most things I try, but never pick one thing to really learn at an expert level. I make a very comfortable living doing not a lot.

Same here too.

I regularly score very high in IQ tests but have no motivation whatsoever to climb the career ladder in anything! Bizarrely I’ve managed to get myself into a job that has very little stress, I’m good at and pays a very good wage (considering the job requires no academic qualifications) for only working 4 days a week. I earn more than the vast majority of my friends that have degrees etc in their chosen subject!

As to whether I am a success? I only work 4 days a week but earn enough cash to have a good standard of living with a 3 year old car and a few expensive bikes. I get to ride these bikes 2 days a week as a minimum and have one ‘weekend’ away every month at least. I don’t own my own house, that is the next target, but I’m happy and stress-free. I count all that as a win 😀

krikstar
    Free Member

Way above average, but seriously who cares? I feel dumb for even giving hints on this. I work as a teacher for kids with special needs/autism and trust me, there are so many other and more important things in life than IQ. Some of my students score really high in IQ test, but apart from that they can’t do shit, because they need the skills required to functioning within a society and ultimately; live a good/happy life.

To me, bragging about your IQ only makes you sound like you have issues and are unaware of all the truly important things in life.

greentricky
    Free Member

This thread is packed with Mensa members it appears

Listened to an interesting podcast on IQ at the weekend, would recommend. Is controversial though…
    Sam Harris – Forbidden Knowledge with Charles Murray

jimjam
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

I think my time would be more productive watching cat videos online… [/quote]

And you’d be write. Thats very purrseptive of you. I think you might have a genus level eye que.

tjagain

I was tested repeatedly at school and stole the results 🙂 Thats how I know not from doing on line testing. I have also tested as an adult.

But what do you mean by sucess? I am happy, I am good at my job but its a fairly low level job as a staff nurse and get enjoyment out of it but I work to live not live to work. I lead a reasonably “green” lifestyle and spend as much time as I can outdoors.

By my standards I am a success. My creed being ” do as much good as you can, as little harm as you can and have as much fun as you can” I doubt many other folk would define me as a success tho – certainly my mother is disappointed.

jimjam
    Free Member

greentricky – Member

This thread is packed with Mensa members it appears

Listened to an interesting podcast on IQ at the weekend, would recommend. Is controversial though…
    Sam Harris – Forbidden Knowledge with Charles Murray

Great podcast.

I do find IQ tests very interesting and have been formally tested three times. They definitely measure a type of intelligence but through my life, the people who I consider geniuses, or close to genius level intellect have all been highly artistic people who struggle with IQ style tests. Both in terms of what is being tested, and the principal of the test.

footflaps

certainly my mother is disappointed

My mother was absolutely gutted when I got straight As at A level, but then we never did get on!

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘High IQ = Success (or not)’ is closed to new replies.