Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its off to niche I go
  • AndyRT
    Free Member

So the Krampus is out for a test ride tonight. I’ll try and take some Krampus shots in the wild, if it doesn’t bite me or send me to Hell first.

Got a new logo for the fork….

Thanks to Slik Graphics for an amazing job

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My instant reacation was ” OHHHH, nice” like to hear more.

AndyRT
    Free Member

What do you want to know….

nick1962
    Free Member

What do you want to know….

Why 2 ls in Lefty?

AndyRT
    Free Member

Project321 Hubs (industry9 internals in rear hub)
    Project321 clamps
    Thumbprint Tuning Hefty fork with effectively 90mm travel (axle to crown is exactly the same as Krampus rigid fork, and it has new RockShox air cartridge with a lockout)
    Rabbit hole rims
    120tpi Knards 3″x29″ with 20mm? Travel 😀
    32t narrow wide from raceface
    IMC chain
    CK headset
    Everything else from previous bike

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Is the Lefty modified then?

AndyRT
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a Max upper, 110 lower to be able to fit new cartridge. Don’t want or need small bump sensitivity, the tyres will have that. now I just need to set it up with the right tyre pressures and fork pressures, but it will be fun doing it

nbt

It’s Hefty.

HTH

HAND

AndyRT
    Free Member

Tony at Thumbprint built it up and applied his special brand of magic on the needle bearings

Charlie supplied coffee, workshop, conversation, Dave and Krampus build kit

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Nice. You didn’t need new crowns for tyre clearance then?

AndyRT
    Free Member

I did. They are a project 321 set with 1 1/8 steerer. It allows your to spread the whole fork out to the left to compensate for the dishing of the wheel to give enough clearance to use the Rabbit Hole rimes and Knard without a worry. TBH the dishing is a lot, although the tension in the spokes is balance on either side of the hub and if there is a need to rebuild the wheel, I would bring it back a little, as it currently has about an inch of clearance from the stanchion with the tyre fully inflated. it is all aligned nicely.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I see.
    Brilliant. Looking forward to seeing photos of it in action. 🙂
    The slight downside is you’ve given me all sorts of (expensive) ideas now…

AndyRT
    Free Member

Slight? 😀

lipseal
    Free Member

I was going to do that on my build, but thought you could just fit it all together as normal, with dishing the wheel to the right a bit, obviously not. Need a rethink now, bugger!! 🙁

AndyRT
    Free Member

Krampus lives! It’s a great fun bike. Glad I went for 32t rather than 30t currently seems perfect ratio range and bit one single drop if the chain ( and I wasn’t hanging about)

nickc

What problem is the heavily modified lefty solving for you?

AndyRT
    Free Member

The rim is 50mm wide. The inflated knard is 770 wide on the rim. I would get a dirty great big hole in the stanchion and a ruined tyre. So, the front week is offset(using one side spoke wholes which are 5mm from center. The crowns on originals have a tooth that aligned the spindle of the fork in a groove. Special ones don’t have this so you can rotate the stanchion as you spread the fork out wider to compensate for the dishing of the wheel.

geoffj

nbt – Member
    nick1962 » What do you want to know….
    Why 2 ls in Lefty?
    It’s Hefty.

HTH

HAND

I read it as Llefty too – I thought it was a Welsh thing

nickc

Got you. Cool mod

Looks a great bike, hope you’re happy with it!

AndyRT
    Free Member

🙂

I have no issue with creating confusion. I’ll get enough of that from having a lefty and having a fat bike.

I imagine if I ever ride Swinley small children will be sheltered behind their parents as all things different cause fear and panic

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

geoffj – Member

nbt – Member
    nick1962 » What do you want to know….
    Why 2 ls in Lefty?
    It’s Hefty.

HTH

HAND

I read it as Llefty too – I thought it was a Welsh thing

+2

Nice bike, crap sticker 😮

AndyRT
    Free Member

It rides brilliantly! It picks up speed alarmingly and I will have to get used to the way the bike wants to bulldoze the trail whilst actually being really nimble too. I have to admit to being a little paranoid about being wedged between trees at the moment, but I’ll get passed that….or not 😯

singlespeedstu

The crowns on originals have a tooth that aligned the spindle of the fork in a groove. Special ones don’t have this so you can rotate the stanchion as you spread the fork out wider to compensate for the dishing of the wheel.

If i’m reading that right you’re rotating the clamps outward to get more sidewards offset?

Does that not then alter the forwards offset of the fork and bring everything further back.
    I though the 321 clamp was wider to get the tyre clearance?

Looks good BTW.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Looks like a great build and a proper fun bike to ride that.

I too wasn’t sure what function the Lefty was performing, but if it works in your environment then it’s a good fit and as you say, will cause children to point and (laugh) snigger or pose the question “where’s the other leg” (it was a recurring question I had when I had my lefty)

Doesn’t look dirty enough, suggest you ride it harder 😆

ir_bandito
    Free Member

That looks superb. You must be a very happy man 🙂

if you don’t mind me asking, how much did the Hefty cost?

AndyRT
    Free Member

The decal or the fork ir_bandito? Can get more made if you want a decal. in regards to the Hefty fork, contact Tony.

Bikebouy I live in the south….it’s not very muddy down here, but a little flat. Tbh I was 5 mins into the ride and had stopped to tighten up the bolts etc as it was the first ride….big smiles, as it rides brilliantly. It climbs in a way I have only experienced back in the day when 1″ threaded headsets were all the rage and Orange still made all of their bikes in the UK, suspension at both ends was a pipe dream, and we all had an embarrassing relationship to dayglo Lycra.

Singlespeedstu the overall wheelbase is only a tiny bit shorter than the rigid Surly fork now, where as if you used the standard clamps I am fairly sure that the effective wheelbase would be longer than Surly intended. Also, the offset in the front wheel is really playing it safe. I have massive clearance as you can see in the pics, so if you wanted to do this kind of build I have been given some spoke lengths by the wheel builder, Bungle in Wareham, that would be less extreme, so the clamps wouldn’t need to be so far to the left. With the lock out activated, it rides really well, but with the Lefty working it soaks up everything and grips even more. it accelerates with an unnerving sense of being strapped to the outside of a 50 tonne truck falling off a very tall cliff. It’s awesome

singlespeedstu

😀
    Thanks for your answer.

Goes off to look at Leftys.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I meant the fork, rather than the decal….

AndyRT
    Free Member

If you already have a lefty max from that period then it will be cheaper, but only (there is a Link if you look in my previous post) to Tony, who built the fork for me. The project321 Clamps were $200. I would recommend both companies as they both were great to deal with, and if you talk to Tony, ask him about his gravity bike….it’s bloomin fantastic!

brakes
    Free Member

it’s not a proper fat bike though is it? any desire to go full fat?

AndyRT
    Free Member

It’s fat enough for now. I don’t live in a snow bound part of the UK, and beaches are a long way from me. They look brilliant. Dave at Charlie’s cave was building up a Moonlader as I was fettling. it was khaki green and looked like a hoot. I have a need to have a go, and Charlie wants a play on my Hefty, so I’ll see. Coffers empty for now 😀

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’s bad and wrong, but this bicycle is making my willy tingle in a nice way. 😳

AndyRT
    Free Member

I have absolutely nothing to add to the above post 😆

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Email sent to Tony.

And to be fair, Pimp’s willy tingles at some pretty odd things…

brakes
    Free Member

it’s weird, I think fat/ semi-skimmed bikes are pointless, but I really really really really really want to have a go on one.

AndyRT
    Free Member

I felt the same way. then I rode the Debora Charlie the Bike Monger…rode Franks Tank. I didn’t stip grinning the entire ride. Be warned, only try one if you have physical space for another bike….all other facts are a moot point anyway

AndyRT
    Free Member

[list]Oops Debora…damned predictive text. In the Interest of saving my marriage I would like to state I don’t even know anybody called Debora….should have been Krampus….how did that convert to Debora????

brakes
    Free Member

if you have physical space for another bike

does not compute. there is always space for another bike 🙂

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its off to niche I go’ is closed to new replies.