Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hi-Fi question
  • failedengineer

I know there are a few Hi-Fi buffs on here – I’ve got a Hi(ish)Fi question:
    I’ve just resurrected my old but immaculate Dual CS505 turntable and I’ve connected it to a Cambridge Audio amp through a cheapo Vivanco phono pre-amp. The sound is much ‘thinner’ than I remember. In sharp contrast, my old NAD CD player sounds superb (to my old ears, anyway). Do you think a better phono amp would make a worthwhile improvement? I quite fancy one with a USB output so I can record vinyl. The Rega Mini 2D sounds good as does the Pro-ject Record Box.

traildog
    Free Member

I would always work from the source down the line. So first of is your turntable setup correctly. Is it level, the tracking weight and anti skate correctly set. And if it’s old, is the cartridge in good condition? Only then, I’d look at purchasing something new.

failedengineer

Yes, I’m happy that the turntable’s set up properly and that the cartridge and stylus are fine. However, I did wonder whether I may be as well to buy a USB turntable instead of a new phono amp with USB out. It’s just that the Dual was a good turntable in it’s day and probably better than any USB turntable I can afford.

retro83
    Free Member

Does you amp not have an inbuilt phono stage? Cambridge Audio are (at least used to be) known for decent phono stages.

bob_summers

No idea, my amp has a MM/MC switch on the back, although if that’s set wrong it’s more like no sound than thin sound. As above, surprised a CA doesn’t have phono.

Re. recording vinyl: I’ve done it, and it’s a massive faff. Save yourself the bother and download them in FLAC or 320 format (legally dodgy perhaps, but you’ve paid for the music already). Unless it’s really obscure, that is.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Are you sure everything’s in phase? This includes the cartridge! Borrow another phonostage to compare?

the-muffin-man

In a similar vein – I’m using one of these Behringers (below) as my phono pre-amp – would a Rega or Pro-Ject one offer much of an improvement?

I have a Camridge Audio A5 amp and that has a built in phono stage, but without the pre-amp the sound is very quiet compared to the other inputs.

(sorry for thread hi-jack!)

stumpy01

the-muffin-man – Member

I have a Camridge Audio A5 amp and that has a built in phono stage, but without the pre-amp the sound is very quiet compared to the other inputs.

Are you sure you’ve got the MM/MC switch in the right position?
    All a ‘phono stage’ is on an amp is a normal input with the phono pre-amp built in to get it to a level that the amp cam do something with.

I know Cambridge audio did some amps for a while, where the phono stage was optional, but the labelling on the front had it as a phono input; my Dad’s got one of these & I remember when we bought it he was asked if he wanted the phono input for an extra £20 or something and they opened the amp in the shop & plugged in the pre-amp module.
    Could it be that your amp has the labelling, but the option of a pre-amp was never fitted?

failedengineer

It has a ‘phono/aux’ input, but there’s no amp built in. Without the pre-amp connected you can barely hear anything on full volume. Like Muffin Man above, I’m trying to ascertain if a ‘better’ phono amp will make a worthwhile improvement.

Rubber_Buccaneer

It has a ‘phono/aux’ input

It can’t be both, a phono input should lead to a non linear preamp as the bass from a turntable needs more amplification than the treble. And MM or MC are different varieties

the-muffin-man

Could it be that your amp has the labelling, but the option of a pre-amp was never fitted?

Could be – there’s certainly no switch for MM/MC anywhere.

failedengineer

It definitely has ‘phono/aux’. I’m assuming that when the phono stage isn’t fitted (as mine) it can be used as any input.

grievoustim
    Free Member

My Cambridge Audio A5 has the AUX/ PHONO input but no actual pre amp

The manual confirmed this was the case when I dug it out

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hi-Fi question’ is closed to new replies.