Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • ISIS: Why we hate you.
  • jimjam
    Free Member

What jihadists really want. Sam Harris breaking down an article in “Dabiq” (the ISIS propaganda magazine) which outlines well…why they hate the west.

Well worth a listen.

GregMay
    Free Member

I always thought it was because the bearings we’re badly sealed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

bookmarks for later

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s useful to know from a tactical and strategic viewpoint in the project to wipe the mother****ers out but, to be perfectly honest – what “jihadists” think?

Dont give a shit.

Next.

BillOddie

I always thought it was because the bearings we’re badly sealed.

And the ball bearings the size of biro nibs…

Trimix
    Free Member

I like the picture of the people queuing up to vote – the women have been pixelated out of the shot.

But yeah, its all religious superstition that belongs in the dark ages.

oldnpastit

Mods, can you move this to the bike forum?

Pigface
    Free Member

Woppit if you don’t understand them how are you meant to stop the conflict?

qwerty
    Free Member

I found this quite an insight into their origins

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02gyz6b/adam-curtis-bitter-lake

I keep meaning to rewatch it.

The world would be a better place if we all moved back to square taper.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP thanks, will listen later

Woppit if you don’t understand them how are you meant to stop the conflict?

I agree its better to understand your enemy than not. We understood Hitler wanted to dominate the world (sound familiar ?) so the appropriate action was to crush Germany militarily and ensure they could not re-arm.

jimbobo
    Free Member

but by crushing hitler we opened a whole new can of worms, kind of like when we crushed the Taliban?

gobuchul
    Free Member

but by crushing hitler we opened a whole new can of worms

It was better than what was in Hitlers can surely?

zippykona

I liked them better when they were the plucky mujaheddin.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Wish particular worms are you referring to?

jimmy

Brexit worms

jambalaya
    Free Member

The European Union ?
    Them making much better cars than us ?
    East German althetics doping ?
    The Hoff singing “Freedom” on the Berlin Wall ?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

All this Isis stuff does make Boat Race day a bit awkward. 😐

edward2000
    Free Member

It just goes to show how the power of brainwashing people can have drastic consequences. Members of ISIS are all narcissists – an egocentrical grandiose attitude that they are better than everyone else

loddrik
    Free Member

This is a great article by Jim Muir, well worth a read.

footflaps

The Hoff singing “Freedom” on the Berlin Wall ?

Nope, Baywatch.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting piece and well worth the 50 minutes. Funnily enough when Insay similar things to the this I get all sorts of “Islamphobe / racist” taunts. He’s pretty scathing about this cult/branch of Islam and he makes very clear there is no possible negotiated solution, only a military defeat which makes the notion of a caliphate preposterous in reality, it cannot exist. There can be no “cease-fire” or “live and let live” as the only acceptable outcome to IS is the calpihate covering the entire world.

Mr_C
    Free Member

zippykona – Member

I liked them better when they were the plucky mujaheddin.

There’s always one, bragging that they were a fan before they were famous and how they don’t like their later work.

globalti
    Free Member

At the risk of being branded a supremacist, I’ve spent 30 years travelling around the Middle East and Africa and I’ve come slowly to the conclusion that all religion feeds on ignorance and lack of education. Even intelligent Arabs I’ve met are un-worldly and ill-experienced in life. ISIS appeals to young men who have little culture in their lives beyond vacuous MTV and the internet yet their bodies are flooded with testosterone and energy, so Jihadist Islam gives them a goal and a common purpose. The really extreme jihadists are actually pathalogically unbalanced.

I remember hearing about a young Britsh guy who embraced Islam because the purity of the religion appealed to him. But he said that his biggest disappointment was the low intellect of the Imans; at Friday prayers he said there was no attempt to get to grips with the place of Muslims in modern Britain and instead, the Iman rambled on for an hour about the length of the beard, how much ankle a woman could show, fasting and other trivia.

I have brought up the issue of daylight hours in the north during Ramadan with intelligent Muslim customers, a nice lightweight subject, which I understand the British Council of Mosques is trying to discuss with Mecca. But my fiends just block me and quote the Koran at me as they are incapable of seeing any point of view outside what they have been taught.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Extreme vetting, it’s the only way…

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Even intelligent Arabs I’ve met are un-worldly and ill-experienced in life. ISIS appeals to young men who have little culture in their lives beyond vacuous MTV and the internet yet their bodies are flooded with testosterone and energy,

Having worked around a fair few lovely people from the Middle East, I’d say some of this rings true. But remove ‘ISIS’ from the above statement and much the same could be said for our ‘Merican cousins, or anyone else for that matter who comes from a largely inward looking culture. Not sure religion or specifically Middle Eastern religion has much to do with it.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I would suggest that you read VS Naipaul “Among the believers” as an insight to the scale of the cultural challenge

Nico
    Free Member

The really extreme jihadists are actually pathalogically unbalanced.

Extreme person is unbalanced, shock.

molgrips
    Free Member

But remove ‘ISIS’ from the above statement and much the same could be said for our ‘Merican cousins,

Ahem.. SOME of our American cousins…

Backward and inward looking people exist in every country and culture… Including ours…

clodhopper
    Free Member

“I agree its better to understand your enemy than not. We understood Hitler wanted to dominate the world (sound familiar ?) so the appropriate action was to crush Germany militarily and ensure they could not re-arm.”

The Nazis were defeated, but the ideology of far-right fascist extremism wasn’t. And it’s rapidly on the rise again in Europe and elsewhere. Which is why militarily ‘defeating’ ISIS/Daesh won’t solve the problem, as the ideology will remain in the minds of some. And even if ISIS in their current form are crushed, the same extremist ideology will only pop up later, somewhere else.

The key to peace is to work to understand what creates such an ideology in the first place, and what factors feed it’s rise in popularity. It’s this, which the West is currently failing to do. And unless a radical change in the way we think and deal with such issues comes about, we won’t see the end of such forms of extremist behaviour.

surfer
    Free Member

It is extremely thought provoking. As are all of Harris’s podcasts (and books) are.

For some time he has been arguing with what he calls “regressive” liberals who refuse to believe that Jihadists hate us for the reasons that they claim, and constantly blaming their behaviour on other factors, In spite of Jihadists making these reasons clear. This document outlines in detail specifically what Harris has been claiming.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The Nazis were defeated, but the ideology of far-right fascist extremism wasn’t. And it’s rapidly on the rise again in Europe and elsewhere. Which is why militarily ‘defeating’ ISIS/Daesh won’t solve the problem, as the ideology will remain in the minds of some. And even if ISIS in their current form are crushed, the same extremist ideology will only pop up later, somewhere else.

peoples ideologies will always be on a spectrum, there will always be the far left and the far right, the issue is the numbers following and the cultural acceptability. The key advantage of military defeat is that the genocide on the ground stops and the money stops flowing as easily

The key to peace is to work to understand what creates such an ideology in the first place, and what factors feed it’s rise in popularity. It’s this, which the West is currently failing to do. And unless a radical change in the way we think and deal with such issues comes about, we won’t see the end of such forms of extremist behaviour.

Islam is mimicking the Christian journey, currently they are in the 16th Century in 500 hundred years time they will have empty mosques and an aging congregation. At the moment they are killing heretics and fighting to establish the power of their religion displacing secular power and the unbelievers

I suppose we can stand back to get an understanding of their perspective whilst letting slavery and genocide go unchallenged lest we feed the popularity of the ideology

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Islam is mimicking the Christian journey, currently they are in the 16th Century”

And this is a perfect example of the kind of blinkered Western attitudes which are part of the problem; seeing ‘Islam’, an entire religion and all it’s many derivative cultures, as ‘backwards’, feeds into an ideology of moral and intellectual superiority which in turn, feeds xenophobia and fear.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I too have been travelling in Middle East for business and holidays for 30 years also in North Africa and in Malaysia and Indonesia. There certainly is a lack of “wordliness” amongst many and that is partly of their chosing as many reject our view of worldliness and our view of progress including secularism and tolerance. Its very complicated as Islam has many factions and its wrong to see Arabs, North Africans (Maghreb), sub -Saharan Africans, South Asian and Far Eastern Muslims as the same as there are huge differences. Its also wrong to say they all see themselevs as brothers, there are many divisions within the Middle East never mind more broadly.

The real issue I have and I think the West has is second and third generation immigrants (and coverts) who reject the Western values of their citizenship / land of birth and are drawn to extreme ideas which off a fantasy

edward2000
    Free Member

I have brought up the issue of daylight hours in the north during Ramadan with intelligent Muslim customers, a nice lightweight subject, which I understand the British Council of Mosques is trying to discuss with Mecca. But my fiends just block me and quote the Koran at me as they are incapable of seeing any point of view outside what they have been taught.

Because they are narcissists. Seriously, google it. You can’t tell a narcissist anything that contradicts their own opinion.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Wish particular worms are you referring to?

Let me guess

🙄

The poster probably thinks that if we’d have let Hitler get on with it, there would be world peace now – without any of those pesky Jooos ruining it for everyone. Probably the same kind of person who opposed our intervention in Kosovo as well.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Isn’t this situation what stockpiles of megaatons and all out thermonuclear obliteration were created for…

oh and trident

Pigface
    Free Member

Just listened to the pod cast and his view is pretty chilling.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

And this is a perfect example of the kind of blinkered Western attitudes which are part of the problem; seeing ‘Islam’, an entire religion and all it’s many derivative cultures, as ‘backwards’, feeds into an ideology of moral and intellectual superiority which in turn, feeds xenophobia and fear.

This is a perfect example of a load of tripe

The point of the post is that the Christian nations had a power struggle between church and state and a religious leadership which led Christians into killing Christians in defence of the one true version of their faith. The parallels are there and remove any cultural superiority in this context as they even gifted us the ancestors of Nigel Farage

The only people who demonstrate moral and intellectual superiority are the secular left who despise their own history

BoardinBob

It was Doug Stanhope that suggested a very easy solution.

Take the jihadists to Vegas for the weekend. Comp them at the belagio and ply them with drugs, strippers and booze.

See how quickly they want to go back to their old life.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

As much as that^ is a joke, it’s basically right. The way to solve this problem is massive investment in the Middle East. Import western education, which brings with it western, secular culture. Couple that with investment to improve the quality of life in the region up to European levels, and watch religion and radicalisation melt away.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘ISIS: Why we hate you.’ is closed to new replies.